My neighbor deliberately refused their rubbish in my bin. Should I be worried?

I'm new to this site. Apology if my question is not related to this forums.

I am a Thai living in the north of England.

I live in a self-contained flat in a big house, and all the bins are located at the same point. This morning I was going to throw my rubbish in my waste bin but I saw someone else's rubbish already filled half of my bin. I then checked other flats' bins and found all are empty so these people deliberately put it in my bin (or at least not theirs and the bins are lined according to flat numbers so should not be any mistakes in putting it). As they are unbagged, I could see the items are boxes, drink cans, beer bottles and LOADS of gas canisters that they probably wanted to hide. I can guess who refused it in my bin, but I am a foreign woman living here alone without friends or relatives so I don't want to have a problem (they are teen guys - I saw them but we never spoked).

I guess these gas canisters were used by them as drugs, and the problem is they refused them in my bin. I checked on the net that they are legal for possession (UK law, 2016) but I am still worried if the bin collectors saw these (they will definitely do) and might bring some troubles to me. I stay in the UK legally with a work visa so I don't want to have any problems with it.

My question is whether I should be worried about these gas tubes refused in my bin and what should I do with this. Thanks for your answer.

Don't worry about this at all, even less if there is enough room in the bin for your own rubbish. Not uncommon for people to use any bin when they are all together. Most likely if you complain it will happen all the more, some people are like that.

Rubbish bins are not individually allocated, feel free to deposit your garbage

in any can that has a room, and if they're individual allocated, take it with

the manager of the complex or who's in charge on running the place,

do not, what ever you do, confront or start and arguments with the locals, you will lose every time....

Edited by ezzra

Note for everyone responding:-

Are the bins actually marked with flat numbers or just in marked locations?

Unbagged rubbish may to attract the wrath of the local authorities, if so you'll need to do something about it. As to what I'm not entirely sure as I've not lived in the UK for many years.

Might be nothing, but I have heard and read a lot about the anti foreigner sentiment in the UK rising after Brexit. 

Just see if it happens more often if so just complain to a manager or something like that. Just don't confront people, there are some real violent people around especially the lower educated. 

Hmm, a Thai national having a problem in the UK (I guess it does happen) on a Thai-based sub-forum about expats' home countries? If legit, use others if yours fills up but feel free to take it up with management (however impolitely you feel like) if it becomes a problem. You'll get a similar response or at least some sense of closure as opposed to an obligatory Thai-style mai pen rai.

The gas canisters: matters not one whit... the bin is outside your property and as such is open to all.

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

Hmm, a Thai national having a problem in the UK (I guess it does happen) on a Thai-based sub-forum about expats' home countries? If legit, use others if yours fills up but feel free to take it up with management (however impolitely you feel like) if it becomes a problem. You'll get a similar response or at least some sense of closure as opposed to an obligatory Thai-style mai pen rai.

The gas canisters: matters not one whit... the bin is outside your property and as such is open to all.

Right, in stead of mai pen rai she will very likely hear no problem.

7 hours ago, baconsupertea said:

What part of the north do you live. ?

Some UK northern people can be a bit anti foreigner,  best thing for you is just to ignore people using your bin, whether is has your flat number on it or not as said it's open to communal use to anyone..

Your concerns are an over reaction in my view.

If you can make some friends at work or with another neigbour tell them of your concerns and they will convey much the same as l suggest. 

Goodluck hope you get to be happy.

I'd suggest you bring the issue up with your building's management.  Not that someone else is using your trash bins, but that you're finding articles that are potentially dangerous (flammable) and possibly illegal (it may be legal to possess them in the UK, but probably not in a publicly shared space like an apartment building) in your bins, and you're concerned about the safety issues and you don't want to be blamed if they do catch fire and burn the place down.  

Don't offer any suspicions regarding who's responsible.  That's their job to figure out and deal with the consequences.

Edited by impulse

I would not worry.  These things happen all the time.  If its just a one off then there is no problem.

Only concern yourself if it keep happening all the time.

Then go and speak to the apartment manager... perhaps but a padlock on your bin.

Its only happened one time...  not serious. 

Thank you all for your comments.

Each individual flat has its own bin and marked with the flat number, and each flat tenant pays for its own council tax.

I am not concerning people put rubbish in my bin as that happens many times especially when their bins are full. I am very quiet and only stay in my own place and never ever confront people.

In this case, every bin is emptied except my bin filling with these gas canisters (pic attached). There's a craze about inhailing laughing gas from these sort of tubes (and I suspect they were using them for this reason). Although they aren't illegal to have them in possession but having loads of them in my bin doesn't make me feel at ease.

My work mate suggested me to report this to non-emergency police but I don't want to make it big. Anyway, I sent an email to the council informing them about these stuff in my bin. Just in case they found anything else in my bin, I at least have a record.

Regarding the comments to bring this up to my estate agency, I'm afraid they might make something big. I don't want to make a problem.

Regarding racism, I have never had any problems either before or after Brexit. But apart from going to/from work and shopping at supermarkets, I rarely stay out. I have had some lads/teen guys making fun with me like beeping their horn while I was walking pass or shouting Nihao, but I don't think that's a big deal and I simply ignore. Overall, I have no problem with racism here. Thanks for your concern. 

I'm rather feeling unsafe living in the same building with those people who seem to do dodgy thing. 

IMG_0659_.JPG

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Might be nothing, but I have heard and read a lot about the anti foreigner sentiment in the UK rising after Brexit. 

Just see if it happens more often if so just complain to a manager or something like that. Just don't confront people, there are some real violent people around especially the lower educated. 

Bit like your anti British sentiment really.

23 hours ago, baconsupertea said:

Each individual flat has its own bin and marked with the flat number, and each flat tenant pays for its own council tax.

I am not concerning people put rubbish in my bin as that happens many times especially when their bins are full. I am very quiet and only stay in my own place and never ever confront people.

In this case, every bin is emptied except my bin filling with these gas canisters (pic attached). There's a craze about inhailing laughing gas from these sort of tubes (and I suspect they were using them for this reason). Although they aren't illegal to have them in possession but having loads of them in my bin doesn't make me feel at ease.

My work mate suggested me to report this to non-emergency police but I don't want to make it big. Anyway, I sent an email to the council informing them about these stuff in my bin. Just in case they found anything else in my bin, I at least have a record.

Regarding the comments to bring this up to my estate agency, I'm afraid they might make something big. I don't want to make a problem.

Regarding racism, I have never had any problems either before or after Brexit. But apart from going to/from work and shopping at supermarkets, I rarely stay out. I have had some lads/teen guys making fun with me like beeping their horn while I was walking pass or shouting Nihao, but I don't think that's a big deal and I simply ignore. Overall, I have no problem with racism here. Thanks for your concern. 

I'm rather feeling unsafe living in the same building with those people who seem to do dodgy thing. 

IMG_0659_.JPG

Where are your and your neighbours' bins located? If outside at the front of the property it is possible that these canisters were placed in your bin by passers-by rather than by your neighbours.

On 08/01/2017 at 6:21 AM, ezzra said:

Rubbish bins are not individually allocated, feel free to deposit your garbage

in any can that has a room, and if they're individual allocated, take it with

the manager of the complex or who's in charge on running the place,

do not, what ever you do, confront or start and arguments with the locals, you will lose every time....

She's a Thai living in the UK. 

Bins are marked with the house/flat number of the individual household to which is allocated.  Sometimes more than one bin for different materials. 

People get fined for putting the wrong sort of things in the bin, or the council refuses to take it away.

Edited by Enoon

OP, I believe that the UK does a lot of recycling and in many districts there are different coloured bins for different waste materials.

Putting the wrong things in the wrong colour bin can cause trouble with the refuse removers.

Me, I'd simply find out what the refuse rules are at your location.

Where my family live in the UK, 3 different areas, they all have several different coloured bins per house.

One house is rented by a group of young men and their waste can bin is always full to overflowing with beer cans.

The refuse people go round and collect a different class of rubbish each time.

It can take a while for certain bins to be emptied.

On 08/01/2017 at 8:01 AM, rhythmworx said:

Just tip them out onto the road and make your bin empty.

You should have at least 3 bins, if you don't your living in a shit hole and the litter wont matter.

I don't think that is the answer she is looking for.

Use some common sense.

35 minutes ago, Enoon said:

She's a Thai living in the UK. 

Bins are marked with the house/flat number of the individual household to which is allocated.  Sometimes more than one bin for different materials. 

People get fined for putting the wrong sort of things in the bin, or the council refuses to take it away.

Not all bins are marked, especially on housing estates.

On 08/01/2017 at 10:28 AM, Crossy said:

Note for everyone responding:-

Are the bins actually marked with flat numbers or just in marked locations?

Unbagged rubbish may to attract the wrath of the local authorities, if so you'll need to do something about it. As to what I'm not entirely sure as I've not lived in the UK for many years.

You tell me how is this post thailand  related , 

someone  worried about someone putting rubbish in their bin in England.

not thailand related at all .

10 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

You tell me how is this post thailand  related , 

someone  worried about someone putting rubbish in their bin in England.

not thailand related at all .

It's in the 'home countries' forum.

co2 cartridges are made of steel just put them in the bin you would put soup cans in, it might be a one off dump, if it happens again tell the landlord that someone else is using your bin, no need to tell them who it is. These cartridges have a lot of uses not just sniffing.

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:22 AM, baconsupertea said:

IMG_0659_.JPG

You  did  the right  thing  getting on  to  the  council..  Take  care,   there  are  some  scumbags  everywhere  sadly..  Hope  you  enjoy living  in  the  UK..

Hmmmm...What to do, What to do?

Possibly, you could hide inside your designated garbage bin and then..... "Big Surprise" them when they try to discard their garbage in your bin.

You will certainly scare the bejesus out of them while they will not be doing any of that sort of thing again...lol

But seriously....try attaching a well secured note, written in large,  bold letters saying:

PLEASE DISCARD YOUR GARBAGE IN YOUR DESIGNATED GARBAGE BIN AND NOT MY BIN....THANKS FOR YOUR COOPERATION

Edited by gemguy

These look very thick steel, meaning they are designed for high pressure gas. These are therefore most likely pellet rifle cartridges explaining why there are large numbers of them.

Gas sniffed by druggies, such as paint, butane, and other such aerosols is not contained in such heavy cylinders as it is not held at high pressure. Flammable gases at such pressures would essentially be bombs.

CO2 is not Flammable, in fact it will extinguish flames by displacing the oxygen necessary for a fire.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, jak2002003 said:

I would not worry.  These things happen all the time.  If its just a one off then there is no problem.

Only concern yourself if it keep happening all the time.

Then go and speak to the apartment manager... perhaps but a padlock on your bin.

Its only happened one time...  not serious. 

jak2002003, are you pissed? Read again the first two lines of your post: don't worry, it happens all the time... but if it happens all the time, then worry... Am I the only sober nut here? And to the OP, can I have the name of your massage parlour please?