Racism, anger and why dual pricing makes sense to Thai people

snoop1130

Many years ago in UK a mate and myself were on our first weekend pass from basic training and he decided we should go across to London for a day so he could show me his 'home town'. It was quite a warm day and I decided to buy a couple of cokes. At that time probably 6d a can, or near enough. The guy asked me for 2/6d, my mate heard and said 'excuse me JOHN, we aint no f-----in' tourists. Reply was 'sorry john 1/6d ok? I paid and everyone was happy.

It's not just Thailand.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

overherebc

You are right,it was a few years ago,and i believe it was called 'profiteering' now its called fraudulent gain, and is a court appearance if caught.very dissimilar to Thailand.

Nice thing about the english language.

One action described using two different words or expressions can make it trivial or serious and have an effect on the outcome.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, maxpower said:

Incredible, it works like magic ! 

Read the above post about wearing a decent shirt and decided to give it a try. At a local food stand I always pay 40 Baht for a pad krapow gai but this time the girl charged me only 30 Baht. Curious as to why the price had dropped I asked why today 30 Baht and last time 40 Baht. To my amazement she replied – Its your shirt, it makes me feel like you are a local Thai person so I give you special Thai price. I will never go out wearing a T-Shirt not ever not never.

I can say that I have never seen a local Thai person in my village wearing a collared dress shirt to go buy food as a street vendor.  Most of the local men are dressed in T shirts, or even occasionally bare chested. 

• Like 1

What surprises me about farangs is that they politely smiles on the border while getting visa to enter Thailand and then pretends like Thailand and Thais  owe them this and that.

com'on guys! you are just guests here. Thai people can do whatever they like on their own soil. and you have to either accept it or go somewhere else.

nobody in Thailand interested in your leftist ideas about "equality" "tolerance" "inclusiveness" etc.

Thai people have the full moral right to charge any customer as much as they want. and the customer has the right to pay the money or not. why it so hard to understand?

you don't like the price? you feel that you are discriminated? go back home! to your politically correct paradise.

instead of this you keep whining about "unfair Thailand" but do whatever it takes to get your new visa.

ridiculous...

Edited by Matt96

38 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

overherebc

You are right,it was a few years ago,and i believe it was called 'profiteering' now its called fraudulent gain, and is a court appearance if caught.very dissimilar to Thailand.

Should add that nowadays even nostalgia is not what it used to be.

???????

On 1/13/2017 at 8:31 PM, maxpower said:

Thai in Ferrari pay 50B / Foreigner on motorbike pay 100B = Racist scam .... Period

what a blatant manipulation. "thai" is not a race but citizenship. and foreigner can be of any race. so

1) it's not racist

2) it's not scam. you know the price and you can choose to pay or not

it's normal and fair that a citizen has a preference comparing to a guest. because any country belongs to it's citizen only. for example, Thai people can work in Thailand freely and foreigner has to ask for a permission. same as at your left-liberal paradise - the US.

EDITED by KhunBENQ, corrected erroneous quote

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Wrong,    We are paying customers. :jap:

cool! so it's up to a seller to choose the price and other conditions. and the customer choose either pay or not.

you don't want to pay - go somewhere else.

6 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

cool! so it's up to a seller to choose the price and other conditions. and the customer choose either pay or not.

you don't want to pay - go somewhere else.

Maybe you should read your replies before you post them.  :stoner:

Edited by onemorechang
  • Like 1

On 13.1.2017 at 7:37 PM, Shawn0000 said:

Except this is not racism, Asians also get charged the foreigner rate.  Is it also racism  in your opinion that is the motivation behind Switzerlands and Japans dual pricing offering lower rates for tourists?

Switzerland and Dual Pricing ??? Can you show some valid source ?

14 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

you said we are guests here.

That is a different subject to the subject of dual racist pricing.  duh

and technically you are a guest. you get a stamp in passport on border to enter the country. you don't pay anything for that.

but you pay for goods and services inside the country. so technically you are a guest and a buyer at the same time. and neither a guest nor a buyer have a right to tell the host (or the seller) how to run his own place.

so you can play with words as long as you want. you can call yourself whoever you want. but the truth is very simple -

in Thailand you have two options:

1) accept this country as is

2) leave it

and nobody cares of what do you think is right or wrong here. it's simply none of your business. same as internal affairs of the US or EU is none of Thai people's business. why it's so hard to understand?

perhaps because you still have this delusional  "European civilization mission" complex which makes you believe you know it better how everybody should live.

times of "misters in pith helmets" dictating their will and values to everyone are long gone.

Edited by Matt96

Recent trip to Scotland and on a visit to an old castle my wife paid more than me to go in.

Note. I have missed the reason why so that others can make up their own or just tell my wife if she complains she can go home.

Edited by overherebc

On 13.1.2017 at 8:36 PM, onthesoi said:

Quite right, gross generalisations and racist comments about Thais are against the rules.  You should be ashamed of yourself considering you have a Thai wife and family.

So you had to open your wallet and pay the falang price to enter a national park ...but maybe it's time to dry your eyes & redo your make up?

Do you know the definition of a foreigner in Thai language ? Is it Kon Prathet ..... ? Or is it just slang FALANG ? Now this is not racism ????

Ashamed should be  those shameless using such policies, instead.

And, of course those which justify the wrong doers.

:sorry:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dep714 said:

The dual pricing for everyday items like food does boil my blood. For me it's  usually Isaan food sellers.

For tourist attractions I understand it's just business. Who is going to go all the way to a foreign country and not pay to see the main attractions? Disneyland does it too. 

When I was in school, the University of California schools charged foreigners 5 times the tuition of a local. I wonder if Thai universities do this?

You do KNOW that is  NOT the  SAME right, state schools are supported by taxes and are there for the benefit of citizens of the US ..at least the part paid for with OUR TAXES ..that is the reason for that!!  Did you graduate from school?

And yes, Thai Universities charge foreigners more too.

Edited by amykat

52 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

What surprises me about farangs is that they politely smiles on the border while getting visa to enter Thailand and then pretends like Thailand and Thais  owe them this and that.

com'on guys! you are just guests here. Thai people can do whatever they like on their own soil. and you have to either accept it or go somewhere else.

nobody in Thailand interested in your leftist ideas about "equality" "tolerance" "inclusiveness" etc.

Thai people have the full moral right to charge any customer as much as they want. and the customer has the right to pay the money or not. why it so hard to understand?

you don't like the price? you feel that you are discriminated? go back home! to your politically correct paradise.

instead of this you keep whining about "unfair Thailand" but do whatever it takes to get your new visa.

ridiculous...

I don't give a crap about tourists or how they feel. This is my hotel and I can do what I want. If you don't like the dirty sheets, thieving staff and double standards get out and don't come back.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

and technically you are a guest. you get a stamp in passport on border to enter the country. you don't pay anything for that.

but you pay for goods and services inside the country. so technically you are a guest and a buyer at the same time. and neither a guest nor a buyer have a right to tell the host (or the seller) how to run his own place.

so you can play with words as long as you want. you can call yourself whoever you want. but the truth is very simple -

in Thailand you have two options:

1) accept this country as is

2) leave it

and nobody cares of what do you think is right or wrong here. it's simply none of your business. same as internal affairs of the US or EU is none of Thai people's business. why it's so hard to understand?

perhaps because you still have this delusional  "European civilization mission" complex which makes you believe you know it better how everybody should live.

times of "misters in pith helmets" dictating their will and values to everyone are long gone.

...why would we not be allowed to speak and say what we like and dislike , in a foreign country? what kind of attitude is that? pay and shut up????

once we reach the consent , that everybody should have same rights we would have done a big step forward but sadly people like you even justify such wrong behaviour. people like you are exactly those which allow them to apply double standards, which is surely counter productive long term.

Honesty and  respect on both sides instead would be the better option.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, maxpower said:

I don't give a crap about tourists or how they feel. This is my hotel and I can do what I want. If you don't like the dirty sheets, thieving staff and double standards get out and don't come back.

exactly. you are risking your own asset (a hotel) if your management strategy is right - you get profit. if it's wrong - you go bankrupt. but it's UP TO YOU to choose the strategy. this is how freedom works.

and as we see the amount of foreign tourists entering the kingdom and profits - Thai strategy works.

and a few whining farang sugar daddies are not significant. Thai economy can survive without their guesthouses for 6000 baht a month, second hand motorbikes and Chang beers at local bar.

but even if Thai strategy would not work - it's none of your business. because you are a guest here.

Just now, Matt96 said:

exactly. you are risking your own asset (a hotel) if your management strategy is right - you get profit. if it's wrong - you go bankrupt. but it's UP TO YOU to choose the strategy. this is how freedom works.

and as we see the amount of foreign tourists entering the kingdom and profits - Thai strategy works.

and a few whining farang sugar daddies are not significant. Thai economy can survive without their guesthouses for 6000 baht a month, second hand motorbikes and Chang beers at local bar.

but even if Thai strategy would not work - it's none of your business. because you are a guest here.

so because of we are guests , we cant say what we like or starting change things????? laughable  ......really how dare you to promote such degrading behaviour?????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thetruth revealer said:

...why would we not be allowed to speak and say what we like and dislike , in a foreign country? what kind of attitude is that? pay and shut up????

once we reach the consent , that everybody should have same rights we would have done a big step forward but sadly people like you even justify such wrong behaviour. people like you are exactly those which allow them to apply double standards, which is surely counter productive long term.

Honesty and  respect on both sides instead would be the better option.

if you are not breaking the law - you can speak. but your talk is insignificant because you are a guest in Thailand.

"pay and shut up" no. pay or not pay. but keep your opinions for yourself because Thailand has it's own.

"once we reach the consent , that everybody should have same rights" oh yeah, here is the most destructive leftist dream.

why don't you start from yourself? let all who want to work at your farangland homeland in. thy must have the same rights ans you!

i am sure there wild be many people from Afghanistan, Somali, Central
African Republic and other nice countries who would be happy to relocate!

"which is surely counter productive long term." ok please prove me why my wish not to let stranger live at my home is counterproductive.

why don't you share the idea that you are entitled to have the same rights as Thais while applying for your next visa? I am sure an immigration officer will be happy to hear!

11 minutes ago, thetruth revealer said:

so because of we are guests , we cant say what we like or starting change things????? laughable  ......really how dare you to promote such degrading behaviour?????

because you are guest you must realize that Thai society works to make Thai people happy. not you. and it's up to Thai people only to decide if something needs to be changed.

you can speak whatever you want but your opinion is insignificant. and nobody in Thailand is interested in it.

"really how dare you" this is how leftist discourse works - it defends the freedom of speech for it's adepts only. and when leftists hear something they don't like - their only answer is "how dare you". nothing new here...

""starting change things" according to Thai law foreigners are banned from political activity. and according to international law you accepted this by applying for a visa or stamp while to enter the country.

Edited by Matt96

7 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

if you are not breaking the law - you can speak. but your talk is insignificant because you are a guest in Thailand.

"pay and shut up" no. pay or not pay. but keep your opinions for yourself because Thailand has it's own.

"once we reach the consent , that everybody should have same rights" oh yeah, here is the most destructive leftist dream.

why don't you start from yourself? let all who want to work at your farangland homeland in. thy must have the same rights ans you!

i am sure there wild be many people from Afghanistan, Somali, Central
African Republic and other nice countries who would be happy to relocate!

"which is surely counter productive long term." ok please prove me why my wish not to let stranger live at my home is counterproductive.

why don't you share the idea that you are entitled to have the same rights as Thais while applying for your next visa? I am sure an immigration officer will be happy to hear!

keep my opinion whenever and wherever i deceide its convinient, and believe me, sometimes people need a hint...i could give you many examples , from several countries and BTW we are all human on this planet and free to do whatever. and yes, my country welcomes many ``refugees``, but hey , we all spend our money here, its completely different as many transfer from abroad , monthly .

Now you are gonna tell me we are just guests, ok , but then we should also be respected as such.  Without scamming, cheating, etc etc

and a part of that, even thai people disagree with dual pricing, as i personally experienced at local market and the seller was shamed by another neighbour stall when overcharged me for a 5 THB Kao Niao bag , instead asking for 10 THB ...hahaha what a stoopid person loosing face for 5 THB .....

Edited by thetruth revealer
  • Like 1