Alternative to Thailand??? HELP PLEASE!!!

moonseeker

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THX. for the hint ref. income tax in FL. Need to look into taxes involved for foreigners, living in FL. Would not mind opening up another small venture, then visa-situation would be simple and easy. But by no means want any trouble with IRS :-)

Would even consider living on a boat again. Fantastic time and so many places to go and see. OMG, what a great time I had and ended up in this beauty of Pattaya....5555  MS>

Edited by moonseeker

The problem with US tax system is not the small state tax, but the Federal income tax (IRS). As you say, they will tax you on your worldwide income even as a non-US citizen if you are considered a "resident for tax purposes",  which is now based on 4 months per year on average for a 3-year period. Also not many banks in the world will accept you as a customer anymore due to the FATCA regulations.  The E-visa is very expensive, $500,000 to

1 million minimum investment, and most of the quota are gobbled up by wealthy Chinese. Let's see how the situation will evolve with the new administration, probably not for the better.

Panama and Colombia are both excellent and inexpensive countries. Australia and NZ: very difficult visa situation. In Europe, if you don't like the cold weather, Portugal and the South of Spain are good options, especially Andalucia on the Mediterranean side. Morocco is very good too, as is SA.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Portugal, an option, yes. Maybe slightly too cool, but good balance with touristy & non-touristy seasonal changes and great nature and very friendly population and quite affordable. Eu tax implications might be a problem.

I didn't mention Portugal as your original question specifically discounted anywhere subject to EU or US taxation.

However, Portugal has some sort of 10-year income tax holiday programme that may be applicable to you.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/special-reports/11519095/The-ultimate-pension-freedom-Retire-in-Portugal-and-reduce-your-tax.html

Personally Portugal is right at the top of the list of places I would move to as it offers just about everything I need (pleasant climate but not too hot, decent wine, decent food, decent health care, decent choice of goods in shops, law-abiding people, no visa requirements, Roman script). The main reason I'm not there now is taxation, which I can avoid by living here. When I start claiming my UK state pension in a few years I will have to review my situation as that will impact on taxation of my other income, and it's quite likely that I will end up in Portugal at that time (assuming Brexit doesn't put some sort of spanner in the works).

I have wondered about this myself. An alternative to Thailand country. My extensive travel and my investigation indicates, that there is no other country on the planet as of the moment, that is as surreal, unreal, well developed but still backward and enjoyable as Thailand. It's just the whole package, plus a few f+*kups for good measure. 

On a side note, what do you mean you have limited time? All you have to do is hop on a plane to China and find a real doctor who's going to cure the cancer before you can blink twice. Don't bother with western doctors. That's like going to a car dealership when you are hungry. Nonsense. You are not going to find what you are looking for. Chinese doctors, traditional Chinese medicine is a different ballgame however. That's what I would do. 

I also been around and think and well said by A1Str8: Thailand is no1 overall, we will never fully understand the Thais and that makes it unique in my opinion.

I could be tempted to spend some time outside Thailand later on when I starting winding down in my work in app 5 years time, perhaps spend 2-4 month in South EU somewhere during the summer, Portugal being the cheapest and the locals are cool and good English speaking, generally.

21 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I would add Sri Lanka and the Philippines to the list. English is widely spoken in both and both have proper hill stations with a cooler climate just a few hours drive from beaches and major cities. A good and accessible hill station is seriously missing in Thailand.

I would forget about the Philippines!

8 hours ago, Bonefish said:

The problem with US tax system is not the small state tax, but the Federal income tax (IRS). As you say, they will tax you on your worldwide income even as a non-US citizen if you are considered a "resident for tax purposes",  which is now based on 4 months per year on average for a 3-year period. Also not many banks in the world will accept you as a customer anymore due to the FATCA regulations.  The E-visa is very expensive, $500,000 to

1 million minimum investment, and most of the quota are gobbled up by wealthy Chinese. Let's see how the situation will evolve with the new administration, probably not for the better.

Panama and Colombia are both excellent and inexpensive countries. Australia and NZ: very difficult visa situation. In Europe, if you don't like the cold weather, Portugal and the South of Spain are good options, especially Andalucia on the Mediterranean side. Morocco is very good too, as is SA.

Good luck!

This nails it regarding US taxes.

Have you considered Uruguay? Incredible little country that has most of what you seem to need.

I was recently looking into Colombia and found that they also tax worldwide income based on the 183 day residency rule.  There used to be an exemption for the first 5 years but I think is my understanding that they did away with that in last couple years and now start taxing you immediately.  With an $8,000 monthly income, it looks like you will be well into the top tier of 35%. There is also a wealth tax for amounts above 1,000,000,000 pesos which includes all assets held within the country (condos, cars etc)

i have no idea how correct this information is but it was repeated across multiple websites.  I guess you'll have to do your own research into it and check whatever tax treaties are in place between your potential landing place and the country you are a citizen of.

best of luck to you 

Excellent info & guidance. Thank you all. So, Colombia might be out. Watching critical YouTube videos, Panama seems to be a bit overrated, Coronada as an expats-area lots of crime-warnings, beaches not that impressive. Boca del Torros might be worth a trip, so. I really loves Brasil back then, but crime got bad and prices were getting crazy, but Rio might still be an option, or possibly further down Angra dos Reis, only problem there is the sooooooo cold sea, brrr.................

Vietnam, on my list to visit and spend some more time, but really not sure I want to stay in Asia. Have a nice Sunday.  MS>

By the way, good site. You all probably know already :-)   https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Yes, Uruguay is good, lots of expats there. 

In Panama, either Panama City or the David-Boquete area close to the Costa Rican border. Very good fishing there (Pacific Ocean). Boquete is up in the mountains with year-round spring-like temperatures, David is very humid and hot, similar to Thailand.

Last time I checked Bocas del Toro,  which is on the Carribean side, there were very few fish due to the massive pollution from nearby Costa Rican banana plantations.

16 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

La Serena, Chile. 

Haven't been here but was in Valparaiso, Valdivia, Osorno, Villarica, Puerto Montt and a few others many moons ago. Southern Chile is/was fabulous especially around the lakes. Must get back some day.

27 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Haven't been here but was in Valparaiso, Valdivia, Osorno, Villarica, Puerto Montt and a few others many moons ago. Southern Chile is/was fabulous especially around the lakes. Must get back some day.

From an all round year weather point the area provides a milder/warmer climate. But the central parts are spectacular. The visa options are also better than Thailand.

moonseeker

Very interesting post and some great replies.

We would like to look at other options too. Nevada and Arizona are good but the US tax regime kicks in after 6 months.

NZ is too cold

Sri Lanka we liked 12 years ago very much but I don't know about long term.

Jamaica , loved the climate and the food but the crime is horrific.

Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia is nice but a bit quiet and you have to go to Brisbane for International flights.

Dominican Republic, Costa Rica have been suggested by friends so we may have a short trip to look.

If you are considering Australia I will throw in Albany WA.

I just had a week in Perth - not for me thanks - and 2 weeks in Albany and loved it. Yes it's remote - 450kms south of Perth - but that's part of the appeal. Population around 35,000 and a milder climate but heaps of offshore fishing, vineyards galore, fabulous beaches, horse track, golf course and most other things a person needs plus there are daily flights to Perth if you are missing the big city madness.

58 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

From an all round year weather point the area provides a milder/warmer climate. But the central parts are spectacular. The visa options are also better than Thailand.

I think that's changed in Argentina.  Visas use to be easy, but I don't think they are now.

Southern Chile is great in the summer, a bit cool in the winter.

The city of Napier in Hawkes Bay on the east coast of New Zealand's north island might work for you.  Best weather in New Zealand and can get a house near the beach for not too much money.  Not sure about the visa situation though.

35 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I think that's changed in Argentina.  Visas use to be easy, but I don't think they are now.

Southern Chile is great in the summer, a bit cool in the winter.

Chile have a great visa system no 90 day reports and no problem buying land in your own name.

A   friend says that the south of Spain is pretty boring now with a huge population of retirees. He will be spending more of his time in Phuket.

BTW, the California state tax is not insignificant. Along with a high sales tax, it can make a significant chunk of your money disappear.  Also, is it only citizens of other countries who are mentioning being liable for US tax after four months of residence?  Americans must pay US tax no matter where they live.

Portugal sounds intriguing but I don't speak Portuguese.  I do speak Thai.  

After almost 10 years in Pattaya and Bangkok, I am tired of the incessant heat and lack of a clean beach.

Yeah, Phuket's beaches are much nicer, but its still in the tropical heat zone.

93 in January is not the way I want to live the rest of my days.  I don't want it to snow, but c'mon.

I grew up in L.A. and lived for 20 years in Hawaii so a good beach is important to me.  Big plus for body surfing

or boogie boarding.   You're not gonna find that on the Gulf of Thailand.

I'm off to South America this hot season to check out Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and SE Brazil.  Mostly temperate

climates that are the best IMO.  Have any of you been to Florianopolis in SE Brazil?  It seems to tick a lot of the boxes.

3 hours ago, LALes said:

After almost 10 years in Pattaya and Bangkok, I am tired of the incessant heat and lack of a clean beach.

Yeah, Phuket's beaches are much nicer, but its still in the tropical heat zone.

93 in January is not the way I want to live the rest of my days.  I don't want it to snow, but c'mon.

I grew up in L.A. and lived for 20 years in Hawaii so a good beach is important to me.  Big plus for body surfing

or boogie boarding.   You're not gonna find that on the Gulf of Thailand.

I'm off to South America this hot season to check out Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and SE Brazil.  Mostly temperate

climates that are the best IMO.  Have any of you been to Florianopolis in SE Brazil?  It seems to tick a lot of the boxes.

100% agree with you.  A bit hot now, but mid November to mid March or so is quite nice here.  I've yet to find a place that has a fantastic year round climate.  That's affordable!  Hawaii would probably fit, but it's expensive and can feel confining after you've lived there a bit.  I lived in SoCal for about 20 years also.  Miss the weather and beautiful beaches terribly, but not the traffic. LOL

We spent 2 months exploring Chile and Argentina.  A few days in Uruguay, which is absolutely beautiful.  I'd go back there in a heart beat, but not sure I want to live there permanently.

How about Merida, Yucatan, Mexico?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mérida,_Yucatán

Not everything the O.P. wants but some.

Inland so can buy house in your name but reasonable access to good beaches.

In Mexico, you can't own land outright right near the coast, but you can inland.

Reasonable retirement visa system.

Lovely colonial city.

Different culture than most other parts of Mexico (Mayan influence). 

Many expats and more sophisticated tourists. 

HOT!

Edited by Jingthing

13 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Portugal sounds intriguing but I don't speak Portuguese.  I do speak Thai.  

I dont speak either but I know which would be the easiest to learn and which would be the most useful to know in other countries. And neither is Thai.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

I dont speak either but I know which would be the easiest to learn and which would be the most useful to know in other countries. And neither is Thai.

To me, Portuguese is quite a bit harder than Spanish, but weirdly I find Brazilian Portuguese more approachable than old country style.