Thai Cars' Top Speed Automatically Limited?

macahoom

My friend has a Camry. He tells me the car is limited to 190 KPH. It will not go any faster.

He has just bought a Nissan 370Z. It too is limited to 190kph.

I’m surprised I haven’t heard of this before. Are all cars in Thailand electronically limited to 190, by law?

Not that I'm aware of, however the maximum road speed limit is 120k.

Certainly my pickup is electronically limited to 160kph (98 mph), quite fast enough in a big 4x4 thank-you.

Anyone who wants to drive at 120mph should visit one of the many track-days.

I'm sure that a visit to one of the many tuning places will remove any limiting for a nominal fee (purely for track use of course).

Sooper dooper Camry, 120mph http://www.topspeed.com/cars/toyota/2016-toyota-camry-special-edition-ar167552.html

I've been doing some research and possibly found the answer to my question: 

All cars in Japan are limited by law at 180kph, set in the factory. My friend’s 370Z is an import so it’s fair to assume it has the limiter installed.

However, that doesn't explain how he got it to do 190, though. Could be a badly calibrated speedo, I suppose.

The only cars that are limited l've heard of are BMW & Merc as well l think 150 mph ( 240 kph ) other than that most modern engine car & bike have rev limiters.

190 kph is only 119 mph aprox If your mate wants to go faster it can be done.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

The only cars that are limited l've heard of are BMW & Merc as well l think 150 mph ( 240 kph ) other than that most modern engine car & bike have rev limiters.

My 1994 Honda CB400 has a manual speed limiter.

Me.

I got it up to 150kph and then slowed down as it made me a little nervous. The guy at my local Honda shop took it for a short test drive and came back with an ear to ear grin and bugs in his teeth and he was pulling 175kph and thoroughly enjoyed himself.

He was in his mid 20s and I was 70.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

My 1994 Honda CB400 has a manual speed limiter.

Me.

I got it up to 150kph and then slowed down as it made me a little nervous. The guy at my local Honda shop took it for a short test drive and came back with an ear to ear grin and bugs in his teeth and he was pulling 175kph and thoroughly enjoyed himself.

He was in his mid 20s and I was 70.

I remember my Thai CB400SF had a 1998 frame and 2000 engine is was bought in CM and was one of those grey import jobbies with no number plates you could have in those days.

The cable driven speedo were not that accurate mine only went to 180 written and to a 190 kph mark and when passed it there was lettering kph,  l got it to 'h' my son got to 'k'. 

His lighter than me.  :biggrin:

I still luv speed and there are places you can do it but even then it's always dangerous thing.

160 kph (100 mph) is too fast for the vast majority of Thai roads the only possible exception being the toll roads but even there you can hit huge pot holes or sunken drain covers encounter roller coaster undulations , vehicles with no lights driving the wrong way against traffic at night ,broken down truck with an internationally recognised freshly cut twig warning system,wild life from dogs to elephants sleeping or meandering across
not to mention maniac mini bus drivers and fast lane Fortunas who have to be in front of everyone else at all costs
no wonder Thailand ranks number 2 as the most dangerous country to drive in !

At a 190 kph on Thai roads I would need another set of underpants or an undertaker sooner than later.

As I have stated before  drive train technology has allowed these speeds

but not so much technology gone into good braking.

Try stopping a standard 2.5 L Toyota Vigo from 180kph, just see how long it takes.

I know, have owned 2 of them

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

At a 190 kph on Thai roads I would need another set of underpants or an undertaker sooner than later.

As I have stated before  drive train technology has allowed these speeds

but not so much technology gone into good braking.

Try stopping a standard 2.5 L Toyota Vigo from 180kph, just see how long it takes.

I know, have owned 2 of them

#7 between Pattaya and BKK is very cruisy @ 190kph.

7 hours ago, macahoom said:

All cars in Japan are limited by law at 180kph, set in the factory. My friend’s 370Z is an import so it’s fair to assume it has the limiter installed.

However, that doesn't explain how he got it to do 190, though. Could be a badly calibrated speedo, I suppose.

Fitting lower profile tyres might do it.

7 minutes ago, lavender19 said:

All Thai drivers should have their vehicles limited to walking pace as their brain can not cope with anything above this

Fantastic Idea, would then take my staff 8 hours to drive to work.

3 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

My WRX was a Japanese and was limited to 224kph the maximum allowed in Japan apparently. 

According to what I've read, all cars in Japan, (for its own domestic market), leave the factory with a 180kph limiter fitted.

Wiki also mentions a 190 limit, but I can't find a reference to that anywhere else.

5 hours ago, johng said:

160 kph (100 mph) is too fast for the vast majority of Thai roads the only possible exception being the toll roads but even there you can hit huge pot holes or sunken drain covers encounter roller coaster undulations , vehicles with no lights driving the wrong way against traffic at night ,broken down truck with an internationally recognised freshly cut twig warning system,wild life from dogs to elephants sleeping or meandering across
not to mention maniac mini bus drivers and fast lane Fortunas who have to be in front of everyone else at all costs
no wonder Thailand ranks number 2 as the most dangerous country to drive in !

Exactly.  The infrastructure isn't designed for 160kph.  Your friend is a fool.  Case closed. ?

13 hours ago, macahoom said:

I lived in Tokyo for 2 1/2 years and hardly got out of second gear, whole place was like a huge car park. Sold the car in the end and bought a bicycle. You're allowed to cycle on the pavement there, brilliant way to get around.

Can't imagine anywhere you could get up to 80kph let alone 180.  Only place I've been where they have electronic signs telling you how long you have to queue to get ON to the motorway. I left there in 1987!

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I can confirm (on german Autobahns) 2 big beemers I have owned were limited to 250 kph or 155 mph.

I had read that this gentleman's agreement existed on all the german marques but unsure if it still exists or is applied to export market. I dont think Porsche will be sticking with that. 

13 hours ago, RBOP said:

I've never scene speed limitors on private cars. Most cars in Thailand have small engines with low horsepower compared to weatern car makes. If your a bit engineering inclined you can do the calculation http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculate HP For Speed.php

German, Japanese, etc.. 

They exist..

Archived