Running car costs

swbaggies

1 minute ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

No Toyota service 3 weeks ago 1400, the correct price for a very simple job, this included labour, oils, etc etc and a full clean, getting my Pajero serviced today will post cost later.

So you think Ford charge the same as Toyota then, good luck running your Ranger with only 6 lts of oil in the sump !!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

No Toyota service 3 weeks ago 1400, the correct price for a very simple job, this included labour, oils, etc etc and a full clean, getting my Pajero serviced today will post cost later.

Pajero serviced today 1538.66 included full clean inside and out.

2 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Still overpriced and a bulbous ugley junk 

well thats not in dispute but in reality it aint any bigger than the offerings from other manufacturers, good to see you no longer call it a yank tank  though!!

Edited by Don Mega

On 1/22/2017 at 9:39 AM, transam said:

Just had oil and filter changed at B-Quik, 6 litres of Mobil  Semi syn oil, filter and labour cost 1,200bht, they even blacked the tyres whilst it was up in the air and checked tyre pressures..

b0212.gif

You and I think a lot alike. Today I added four new tires. Toyo 225-15-70 AV. I paid too much but I am up country. 12,400.

Went to my local mechanic. Had a starter problem. Took starter off and repaired.                                                              650

Had a new boot with internals installed on my Transmission. It was loose and annoying me.                                          280

Semi-syn oil and filter                                                                                                                                                                        850

Local mechanic to put the oil and filter in for me, blow out the filter and check fluids.                                                       120

--------------

Grand Total:     14,300

Local Ford dealer price:  I shiver to think.....   :)

4 minutes ago, JacChang said:

Because the local ford dealer air cond's is too strong.

I've spent many an hour under there A/C. IMO it ain't worth it.

As I didn't want to worry about my car and don't use it a lot, I bought a 2001 Nissan NV pickup.

It has aircon and power steering (what more could one ask for) and any backcountry mechanic can repair it using pieces of string and an old shoe, so the maintenance is very very cheap.

I go to Bquick once every 2 years, and run a class 3 insurance for... errr... was it 800, 900 or 1200 baht per year, I don't remember.

Big advantages are:

- Nobody wants to have a collision with me

- Police is never interested in stopping the car

- I can leave it unlocked, nobody has ever taken interest in it

Edited by manarak

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

amazing, Toyota/Mitsubishi and Ford all have different service costs.

Who woulda thunk it !!!

Thanks for he updates.

it would seem there are differences between my 5700+ job and yours (type of oil?, air filter and cabin filter) but I feel even more now that the  dealer I chose charges too much.

i did check if the labour should be free as it is under warranty, but they said that is only for the first two service calls, after you pay. My last one was number 3.

I will for sure look for a better deal for the next service - seems what they say is true here in Thailand....

FORD in Thailand is overpriced and your lifetime costs end up much higher than other mass manufacturers and on top of it the resale is lower, so the math does not work.

cheers

On 18/02/2017 at 2:03 PM, kuma said:

Good day all

Great thread with good info. Want to post my experience yesterday and hear what others have run into.

Took my Ranger 2.2 for service yesterday, see photo below. Standard oil change w new air filter and cabin filter, tire balancing and as always they washed it - but I just washed it three days earlier, including an engine wash so no cleaning required.

The total cost, 5714 THB! I cannot believe the total. In addition to the parts cost in the photo below, (3975 THB) is labour of 1365 THB. I was working for a major global manufacturer here, and the loaded salary costs for shop floor labour was about 500 THB++, so they take three hours to do an oil change!? I did this as a kid way long ago and then it was a place called Minit Tune (lol), and we would do a change in about 30 min, no wash.

So the total cost is more than double what a friend overnight told me he paid for an oil change (no wash, not sure about air filter), and it was $75CAD, in Toronto.

Is it only me that thinks this is way too much $$ for an oil change?

Cheers

image.jpeg

Below is a copy of what our local Ford Dealer Charges for service. Look in your handbook and you will see what are the service items. Our dealers charge has recently gone up to about 550thb/Hr.

I'm not sure why you were charged labour ... you should have the vouchers for free service in your Service Book UNLESS the vehicle was purchased under the Ford Employee and Friend scheme, or similar whatever. But there again which service was that? Could the vouchers already have been used up!

The oil that you were supplied with is the correct oil and quantity

PM me your e-mail address if you would like better pics or a copy of what the vouchers look like.

I also include a copy of SSP ... eg pay nothing at service. When I purchased it was somewhat cheaper in total and there was also a 20% discount and a free voucher ... lucky  

If you google SC1000 you will see that it is some sort of cleaner ... Garages sometimes charge for this if the engine is dirty ... I suppose they would justify by saying ... it keeps debris out of the engine .....

New_20170221_162318.jpg

New_20170221_135618 (2).jpg

Edited by JAS21

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Below is a copy of what our local Ford Dealer Charges for service. Look in your handbook and you will see what are the service items. Our dealers charge has recently gone up to about 550thb/Hr.

I'm not sure why you were charged labour ... you should have the vouchers for free service in your Service Book UNLESS the vehicle was purchased under the Ford Employee and Friend scheme, or similar whatever. But there again which service was that? Could the vouchers already have been used up!

The oil that you were supplied with is the correct oil and quantity

PM me your e-mail address if you would like better pics or a copy of what the vouchers look like.

I also include a copy of SSP ... eg pay nothing at service. When I purchased it was somewhat cheaper in total and there was also a 20% discount and a free voucher ... lucky  

If you google SC1000 you will see that it is some sort of cleaner ... Garages sometimes charge for this if the engine is dirty ... I suppose they would justify by saying ... it keeps debris out of the engine .....

New_20170221_162318.jpg

New_20170221_135618 (2).jpg

Hey Jas

Thanks for that reply. I had two vouchers, they are done. I thought maybe the service ran for the warranty period, but I guess two is it.

Interesting about the engine cleaner, I can live with that as I do a lot of miles in the fine dirt up in Issan, so it could be justified based on that.

I am hampered a bit as I was not there for the appointment, and could not get the first hand input or see the condition myself.

The labour charge is up there now,, I would suspect the staff make in the range of 800 bhat/day, fully loaded. I guess I have a hard time with almost three hours for an oil change as well, 40 minutes is kind of my recollection.

In the end, truck is running well, and given there is no more warranty benefit I suspect next round I will perhaps find a shop with more local prices.

I have been asking around here and back home and from all inputs that price is very much at the top end, and even more expensive in some cases than friends pay at home for similar service.

Cheers

1 minute ago, kuma said:

Hey Jas

Thanks for that reply. I had two vouchers, they are done. I thought maybe the service ran for the warranty period, but I guess two is it.

Interesting about the engine cleaner, I can live with that as I do a lot of miles in the fine dirt up in Issan, so it could be justified based on that.

I am hampered a bit as I was not there for the appointment, and could not get the first hand input or see the condition myself.

The labour charge is up there now,, I would suspect the staff make in the range of 800 bhat/day, fully loaded. I guess I have a hard time with almost three hours for an oil change as well, 40 minutes is kind of my recollection.

In the end, truck is running well, and given there is no more warranty benefit I suspect next round I will perhaps find a shop with more local prices.

I have been asking around here and back home and from all inputs that price is very much at the top end, and even more expensive in some cases than friends pay at home for similar service.

Cheers

Free labour is typicality for the km amount or time.....which ever comes first.

So if the 10k service is supposed to be done at 10k or 6 months and you dot it at  10 months, that 10k free  labour voucher is wasted.

28 minutes ago, kuma said:

Hey Jas

Cheers

Thinking about it the cleaning fluid may have been for the brakes. 

A service is not just an oil and filter change. Looking in the back of my handbook (right at the back) it shows  a 64 point check list. Not every item is done at every service and some items relate to either the 4WD or the 2WD but at a glance 90% are carried out at every service. Having watched some of the service on my EV the wheels always come off and all the 'stopping bits' inspected and cleaned and if I recall correctly the wheels were re balanced.

A service on a modern car is not just an oil change.............

Ask Mrs Kuma or Miss Kuma or Friend Kuma to translate the schedule for you. :smile:

If you go elsewhere for service, to be on the safe side, use the recommended oil ... not all 5W-30 synthetic oils are the same .....

On February 21, 2017 at 7:34 PM, JAS21 said:

Thinking about it the cleaning fluid may have been for the brakes. 

A service is not just an oil and filter change. Looking in the back of my handbook (right at the back) it shows  a 64 point check list. Not every item is done at every service and some items relate to either the 4WD or the 2WD but at a glance 90% are carried out at every service. Having watched some of the service on my EV the wheels always come off and all the 'stopping bits' inspected and cleaned and if I recall correctly the wheels were re balanced.

A service on a modern car is not just an oil change.............

Ask Mrs Kuma or Miss Kuma or Friend Kuma to translate the schedule for you. :smile:

If you go elsewhere for service, to be on the safe side, use the recommended oil ... not all 5W-30 synthetic oils are the same .....

Hey Jas, yea that's a fair point 2017 service is not 1977 service.

Indeed next time I plan to attend and check out this modern day service, and see what the deal is.

I was at a Shell station and had a 3800thb quote for what I think is approximately the same as I got in the end, it is those two I will focus on comparing, and yes indeed oil matters, and the Shell 5W-30 meets the spec, so that part I can confirm.

Cheers

6 hours ago, kuma said:

Hey Jas, yea that's a fair point 2017 service is not 1977 service.

Indeed next time I plan to attend and check out this modern day service, and see what the deal is.

I was at a Shell station and had a 3800thb quote for what I think is approximately the same as I got in the end, it is those two I will focus on comparing, and yes indeed oil matters, and the Shell 5W-30 meets the spec, so that part I can confirm.

Cheers

If it was Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 it would more than likely be fine. That is not what Ford in Thailand recommend ... maybe they just recommend the Castrol on a commercial basis ... you can easily look up the two specs.. I haven't found anywhere local to us, other than Ford, who stock the Castrol stuff.

I've recently moved to Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, seems to meet all the specs and that Ferrari rating makes me wet. I'm using it because it's dirt cheap and does the job the so called "higher level" engine oils do. I was a Mobil 1, then became a Castrol. Mobil 1 always revs the engine so high during start up. Castrol doesn't have this problem and the engine feels a lot faster moving through the revs. Then found out about Shell Helix Ultra's cheap price, started using it, does all the magic the above oils do but way cheaper.

Interesting thanks for taking the time to post that, had not taken time to look yet. 

Guess i  I am way too distant from this now, as my gut and past experience (30 years ago admittedly) had me believing a 2.2 litre engine would not use 9L of oil, apparently. It does....6L as quoted for the Vigo diesel was more where my head was at.

So the outstanding issue is the labour for warranty service, which above is stated should be NC. 

I guess the the market impression that Fords are expensive to own vis a vis the competition, and do not hold their value as well is the story here. Rangers may boost resale value but things like needing 30+% more oil than benchmark competitor is the kind of thing that hurts them.

Cheers thanks for all the good input

Cheers

Good points if you are a 2nd hand car dealer, but Toyotas are dreadful things to drive compared to the equivalent Ford. You pay for a vehicle to drive around in not to sell on, don't you?

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Hey Jas

Cheers

I enquired at Mazda Udon to see if they would service my previous Ranger, seeing as it was a Mazda with a Ford nose on it. They said it would invalidate the warranty.

On 26/02/2017 at 7:41 AM, canthai55 said:

Ford Oil requirements are somewhat confusing ... appears to depend on if cat or DPF or fuel economy requirements. They seem to ask for WSS-M2C913-B C or D depending.

Have a look here and fiddle ... http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/carengineoils_which-oil.aspx  Mobile Website is always good for detail

enjoy .....

Forgot this ... http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_5w30_castrol_magnatec_professional_oil_5ltr_f_1502265_c_1044.htm

Edited by JAS21
Bad memory

14 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

MINIWINKIE thinking he has any intelligence.

ford are a complete rip off original price and then grossly overpriced servicing and parts, any one who cannot see that are really nieve

13 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Good points if you are a 2nd hand car dealer, but Toyotas are dreadful things to drive compared to the equivalent Ford. You pay for a vehicle to drive around in not to sell on, don't you?

You cannot be serious, Fords drive like a rolling Boat, awful