Urgent Advice Sought -15 Days Overstay - Forgot to extend

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a panic. I've been in Thailand for a couple of years mainly on a tourist visa as i am on holiday here and work elsewhere. 

I just realised that I forgot to extend my visa and I am now 14 days overstay, 15 days tomorrow.

The cheapest (by far) thing for me to do would be to go to immigration tomorrow morning, pay the 7,500 overstay and extend my visa until 08 Feb, then fly to Penang to renew my visa on the 8th.

Or I could go to the airport tomorrow and fly to Penang but it would be much more expensive and a bigger pain in the ass.

I dearly want to return to Thailand and don't want to mess up more than I have already done. Would going to immigration in Phuket Town tomorrow be an option, or should I do the 'fly out tomorrow' option.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Pom ting tong.

With that long of an overstay I would not suggest risking a trip to immigration to pay the overstay and applying for an extension.

Best to fly out for a 30 day visa exempt entry or another tourist visa.

Not sure about flying back into Phuket for a visa exempt entry since they have a history of giving people a difficult time doing one and after an overstay that makes it even more risky.

• Like 1

Just to let anyone who ever gets themselves in the same situation in the future know. I asked a friend who knew a tourist immigration volunteer about it and he said go to Phuket Town immigration and fess up. So I did and I got the all clear albeit i had to pay 8k overstay fine. Which was fine and no nasty overstay stamp in my passport. So all good.

• Like 1

Just a little question. If you have been staying in Thailand for a couple of years, how can you then have time to work somewhere else?
However, you best chance is to pay att an airport when leaving the country and apply for a new visa at home or at an embassy in another country. I would not show it to immigration for get an extension and hope for their pardon.

On 1/24/2017 at 4:55 PM, ubonjoe said:

With that long of an overstay I would not suggest risking a trip to immigration to pay the overstay and applying for an extension.

Best to fly out for a 30 day visa exempt entry or another tourist visa.

Not sure about flying back into Phuket for a visa exempt entry since they have a history of giving people a difficult time doing one and after an overstay that makes it even more risky.

I always like to read your replies to people who have difficulties with their visas even though it does not concern me.

You say that Phuket have a history of giving people a difficult time.

You would think that Thailand would want to encourage tourists to come to their country, but it seems to me that the Thai government should try and do something about the reputation that Phuket have, as It is one of the main places tourists fly into.

3 minutes ago, Mansell said:

If you try to do it at the airport you could end up getting banned for a year. Go to Phuket Immigration and pay the fine. 

You have no idea what your talking about This is a 2 week overstay and no one gets banned for a year because of it

You have to over stay  6 months or more 

16 minutes ago, Mansell said:

If you try to do it at the airport you could end up getting banned for a year. Go to Phuket Immigration and pay the fine. 

Utter nonsense. There is no ban until you go over 90 days of overstay or get caught with one.

No difference between the airport and immigration in that respect.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Get Real said:

Just a little question. If you have been staying in Thailand for a couple of years, how can you then have time to work somewhere else?
However, you best chance is to pay att an airport when leaving the country and apply for a new visa at home or at an embassy in another country. I would not show it to immigration for get an extension and hope for their pardon.

I don't live here full time, just most of the time.

I actually went to immigration and they were fine about it. I guess it was only 16 days but they seemed genuinely sympathetic, took 8,000 of course but were no problem, got my extension and no nasty red stamp. just a wee one saying I had overstayed. 

1 hour ago, Expattaff1308 said:

How do you forget?

All phones now (even the old Nokia type) have a reminder feature. 

Always make use of mine for my 90 day report & my extension.

Such a simple and useful tool, well worth using it, can save so much hassle.

I asked myself the same question, believe me, I couldn't believe it. Genuine mistake by a bloke with a fried memory, nothing more. It won't happen again :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MJD RAWAI said:

I don't live here full time, just most of the time.

I actually went to immigration and they were fine about it. I guess it was only 16 days but they seemed genuinely sympathetic, took 8,000 of course but were no problem, got my extension and no nasty red stamp. just a wee one saying I had overstayed. 

Congratulations! Exactly how it should be, but it´s so different in one placew to another and even between different days in the same places. Anyway, nice it worked out for you. Keep track and don´t miss it again.

2 minutes ago, Michael8511 said:

Just take the next flight out pay the fine get a new visa and return. Immigration will put you in the monkey bus if they are in that mood.

good luck

I assume you failed to read this post done by the OP.

21 hours ago, MJD RAWAI said:

Just to let anyone who ever gets themselves in the same situation in the future know. I asked a friend who knew a tourist immigration volunteer about it and he said go to Phuket Town immigration and fess up. So I did and I got the all clear albeit i had to pay 8k overstay fine. Which was fine and no nasty overstay stamp in my passport. So all good.

13 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Btw, just went to Immigration Jomtien to buy 30 days extension. They send me away and told me to come one weak before I'm permitted to stay. Another new rule?

Not unusual at this time of the year when they are busy doing tourist and visa exempt extension.

Better than being to go back on the last day of your entry that some people have been told before.

• 10 months later...
On 1/25/2017 at 5:28 PM, MJD RAWAI said:

I've overstayed since Dec1 2017. 

I'm in Bangkok... So only choice is cheang wattana I think...

I don't mind paying the overstay... But what are my chances of getting a 15 day extension?

I can have a flight ticket to leave in 15 days too

4 minutes ago, wrazoru said:

I've overstayed since Dec1 2017. 

I'm in Bangkok... So only choice is cheang wattana I think...

I don't mind paying the overstay... But what are my chances of getting a 15 day extension?

I can have a flight ticket to leave in 15 days too

If you go tomorrow, you should be OK if eligible for an extension. You will be assessed a fine of 2,500 baht, for the overstay. You then apply for an extension, paying 1,900 baht. What kind of entry are you currently on? If you are here on a tourist entry, you will be given 30 days. If not eligible for an extension, you will be given 7 days to leave the country, but I fear that may start on December 1, so a border run may be needed by December 8.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

If you go tomorrow, you should be OK if eligible for an extension. You will be assessed a fine of 2,500 baht, for the overstay. You then apply for an extension, paying 1,900 baht. What kind of entry are you currently on? If you are here on a tourist entry, you will be given 30 days. If not eligible for an extension, you will be given 7 days to leave the country, but I fear that may start on December 1, so a border run may be needed by December 8.

Hi BritTim, thanks for your quick reply

I'm in a 30 day transit Visa. Canadian passport. 

Tho I do have many 60 day tourist & 30 day transit visa stamps plus several 30 day extensions as well... I do travel lots tho... & I'm traveling to neighbouring countries every few months too... 

So u still think my chances are good?

It would be preferred than to have to leave the country since I'm sure to fly out anyways on Dec 19th to another country... 

3 minutes ago, wrazoru said:

Hi BritTim, thanks for your quick reply

I'm in a 30 day transit Visa. Canadian passport. 

Tho I do have many 60 day tourist & 30 day transit visa stamps plus several 30 day extensions as well... I do travel lots tho... & I'm traveling to neighbouring countries every few months too... 

So u still think my chances are good?

It would be preferred than to have to leave the country since I'm sure to fly out anyways on Dec 19th to another country... 

If you are here on a 30-day visa exempt entry, they will give you a 30-day extension which will start of December 1 (the original expiry date of your permission to stay). Go there with 2,500 baht for the overstay fine, 1,900 baht for the extension, and a photo.You do need to go tomorrow, and it will be busy after the Fathers' Day holiday, so expect to be there most of the day. A good book might ease the pain.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you are here on a 30-day visa exempt entry, they will give you a 30-day extension which will start of December 1 (the original expiry date of your permission to stay). Go there with 2,500 baht for the overstay fine, 1,900 baht for the extension, and a photo.You do need to go tomorrow, and it will be busy after the Fathers' Day holiday, so expect to be there m no Hiost of the day. A good book might ease the pain.

Well I just came from immigration CW with an extension. 

The lady officer was quite candid and even said that since my last day was a Friday that if I had come on a Monday they're wouldn't have been a fine. Don't know if they all follow this, but I was surprised to hear it. 

Since I over stayed 5 days she collected 2500 b... which she said for an overstay, it was OK... on that note I asked her for how long is still OK and she said 1 week I could still say I forgot but 2 weeks is too long to say that. 

I did however get an overstay stamp for the 5 days in my passport... but they didn't ask for more than the regular docs: passport, 1 photo & cash. 

Hope this helps others who are in a similar situation.

Thanks to BritTim for the advice and the help... you saved me a lot of potential hassles of leaving the country.