Who of the Phuket regulars are leaving?

KarenBravo

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

I have met a few Expats who have left Phuket but not left Thailand but do not know them personally

The majority of them were speculating in Real estate in Phuket and left to go to other provinces because they had stopped making money here and thought they could do better elsewhere especially Chang Mai but the majority of these speculators have returned to their home countries

There are a lot less gullible newbies around nowadays that believe the lies told to them about property values here, A few Russians but other Russians are looking after their own and a lot of these Russians are now trying to sell their overpriced property in Phuket with no luck in doing it

I do not know anyone living here on Tourist visas at present who call themselves expats

The one i did Know who in my opinion qualified as a expat had a salmon fishing business in Alaska but he has not been around for about 18 months, used to spend at least 6 months every year here 

Would you accept the expats you know, who have left Phuket, were only here because they had work here?  (real estate)  Is it possible that if there was no work here for them, they may not have come here in the first place.   

Now picture, not only real estate work not being lucrative here anymore, but also owning a beer bar doesn't either cover the rent anymore, let alone any profits to live on. 

If you agree with this, can you see how Phuket is losing expats, because it's not gaining expats, like it has in the past.

Phuket's "issues" go far beyond just the transport situation as to why tourists, and expats, are leaving and / or not coming here now.

Of course, why should we care?  Well, as I have said in the past, with a declining western tourism market, and western expat population, we will see decreasing choice and availability to what we have now. 

As I am under 50, I am living here on tourist visas, in multiple passports.  I have not had a problem as yet, but I am well prepared for the day I am refused entry, should that day come. 

Would you accept the expats you know, who have left Phuket, were only here because they had work here?  (real estate)  Is it possible that if there was no work here for them, they may not have come here in the first place.   

Now picture, not only real estate work not being lucrative here anymore, but also owning a beer bar doesn't either cover the rent anymore, let alone any profits to live on. 

If you agree with this, can you see how Phuket is losing expats, because it's not gaining expats, like it has in the past.

Phuket's "issues" go far beyond just the transport situation as to why tourists, and expats, are leaving and / or not coming here now.

Of course, why should we care?  Well, as I have said in the past, with a declining western tourism market, and western expat population, we will see decreasing choice and availability to what we have now. 

As I am under 50, I am living here on tourist visas, in multiple passports.  I have not had a problem as yet, but I am well prepared for the day I am refused entry, should that day come. 

Please state a reliable source for your statement that Phuket is losing more expats than it is attracting.
I presume though, that just like your 'fact' that tourists are not returning because of transportation issues, you can not.

sent using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Please state a reliable source for your statement that Phuket is losing more expats than it is attracting.
I presume though, that just like your 'fact' that tourists are not returning because of transportation issues, you can not.

sent using Tapatalk

For me whether there is a net inflow or outflow of expats in Phuket is irrelevant.

What I am certain of, is that due to an increase in traffic, drug related crime, waste mismanagement, and environmental degradation, the quality of life as a western expat in Phuket is decreasing rapidly.

For example. I used to enjoy diving on the coral garden at the southern end of Nai Thon beach. 

Then the old growth forest on the national park land on the mountain directly behind that spot was clear felled on a Tuesday morning with 3 bulldozers and a team of hundreds of immigrant workers.

The rains came and all of the overburden washed down the mountain side and the silt settled on top of the coral.

The reef there is now completely destroyed.

I also liked to go fishing in the estuary behind Layan National park.  It still had a healthy riparian stripe populated with old growth ton son.  One morning I rode there to find one of those huge loggin machines, the type with the huge claw that grips the tree and dual hydraulic chainsaws to cut if off, clear felling ALL of the old pine trees.  Same deal as Nai Thon, the rains came, the overburden washed into the estuary and then out to the reef around Kata island.  And now that (national park) reef is dead as well.

The clear felling at Nai Thon was actually the straw that broke this camel's back.  I couldn't deal with the fact that someone could order a rain forest on a hillside in a national park clear felled with bulldozers, in broad daylight, and next to the main road, and NO ONE would step in to stop them.

For me whether there is a net inflow or outflow of expats in Phuket is irrelevant.

What I am certain of, is that due to an increase in traffic, drug related crime, waste mismanagement, and environmental degradation, the quality of life as a western expat in Phuket is decreasing rapidly.

For example. I used to enjoy diving on the coral garden at the southern end of Nai Thon beach. 

Then the old growth forest on the national park land on the mountain directly behind that spot was clear felled on a Tuesday morning with 3 bulldozers and a team of hundreds of immigrant workers.

The rains came and all of the overburden washed down the mountain side and the silt settled on top of the coral.

The reef there is now completely destroyed.

I also liked to go fishing in the estuary behind Layan National park.  It still had a healthy riparian stripe populated with old growth ton son.  One morning I rode there to find one of those huge loggin machines, the type with the huge claw that grips the tree and dual hydraulic chainsaws to cut if off, clear felling ALL of the old pine trees.  Same deal as Nai Thon, the rains came, the overburden washed into the estuary and then out to the reef around Kata island.  And now that (national park) reef is dead as well.

The clear felling at Nai Thon was actually the straw that broke this camel's back.  I couldn't deal with the fact that someone could order a rain forest on a hillside in a national park clear felled with bulldozers, in broad daylight, and next to the main road, and NO ONE would step in to stop them.

Maybe to you it is irrelevant. But to others it apparently is not, since they're claiming more are leaving than coming in.

sent using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

No i would not, The expats i have met involved in Real estate and there are still some of the same operating here left because the could no longer make money here from newbies

If they operated and did the same things in their home country as they did and do here the least they could expect would be to loose their operating license permanently and probably prison time

Good riddance to bad rubbish

As far as bars go you would have to be a idiot to rent or lease one in the first place, never was any money to be made in the majority of them ever, people do not use due diligence in checking them out in the first place and deserve to loose there investment, its obvious they know nothing about running and operating a business, the only farang run and part owned bar i know is the Aussie bar and he is no stupid newbie who thinks he can make his fortune from a girlie bar

Transport only seems to be a problem to a few people who like to never endingly complain about it on public forums, what did your last taxi trip cost you in Australia, no good talking about Bangkok you can shift there anytime if you want to live elsewhere in Thailand

Australian tourists are being offered a huge choice of holidays and destinations now everywhere in the world at discount prices, there is a lot more competition for their business everywhere, businesses involving tourism here do not compete with other tourist destinations with goods and services offered, that's why they are missing out on tourists from some destinations not public transport

I do not know any Expats who have left Thailand except for medical reasons, although i have read posts by quite a few whingers who have left or intend to leave on public forums

good riddance in my opinion

There you go someone else's opinion you can quote as your own

50 minutes ago, Valentine said:

Perhaps the subject is a bit ambiguous or the thread deliberately changed but the OP was talking about regulars who have left the forum.

Exactly! I know Grumpy Old Man is out of the country taking care of his elderly mom. A lot of others seem to be rather bored with the same old stuff on the Phuket Forum. As I said in an earlier post, it's nice to keep up to date with the always changing requirements for a retirement extension or 90 day reports. Also where some services are available as they move or in the case of the local vehicle test station, the owner died, along with his wife. Nice guy, I knew him for many years. But I can just ask my Thai neighbors about most of the things I don't know where to find these days. 

As some may know, after 15 years of family life and business in Phuket, I was 'invited' to leave by a bunch of local drug dealers, with the tacit support of the local police guys (who apparently were their 'mates').

Although my abrupt departure was not welcomed by me at that time, in hindsight, I realised that I had been like the frog slowly cooking in boiling water.  I had got so used to everything that is 'bad' in Phuket, that I had lost sight of the bigger picture.

And having left Phuket, it only took me a short while to rediscover what outside of Phuket had to offer, whether that be in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai or in other countries.

Since leaving Phuket last year, I cannot say that I have regretted that departure for even one second.  It was a phase in my life that had both good and bad events, and now I've moved on to another phase in my life.

I still return to Thailand regularly on visa-runs from Myanmar.  But I have no plans to return to Phuket - Thailand has so much more to offer in other regions.

I'm still on the Phuket forum, because both my ex'es still have their small hotels, and so I'm always interested to read about what is going on and how the economy of Phuket is going.....

18 hours ago, Valentine said:

Perhaps the subject is a bit ambiguous or the thread deliberately changed but the OP was talking about regulars who have left the forum.

All the Thais that I know that left where Phuket regulars.

When I speak to them and ask why they left the first response is to roll their eyes back and let out a big sigh...:smile:

Most of them are middle aged like me.  I wonder if they are being replaced with a commensurate inflow of younger Thais seeking their fortune in Phuket?

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

People seem to think that knowing of some expats leaving ,equates to something like "will the last one turn off the lights".

I think the nature of expats (travellers) means that many will always be seeking greener pastures, getting new jobs or just looking for a change and moving elsewhere. However, at the same time there are always newbies arriving in the Province. I note new names on the forum all the time.

I don't think anyone has a magical calculator that will give the number of expats living here at any given time and stating if that number is static, rising or falling. Maybe there are less long term foreigners here these days, but it can't be calculated like tourist arrivals and certainly not measured by knowing of some who have left.

People come and go all the time, with the multiple choice of web sites with Phuket forums less people read and post on any one site, as far as leaving phuket goes, in my opinion you cannot beat Phuket  for its infrastructure, lifestyle and climate, and where else can you find the same things within a hours drive of a international airport where you can catch flights to just about anywhere in the world

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

People seem to think that knowing of some expats leaving ,equates to something like "will the last one turn off the lights".

I think the nature of expats (travellers) means that many will always be seeking greener pastures, getting new jobs or just looking for a change and moving elsewhere. However, at the same time there are always newbies arriving in the Province. I note new names on the forum all the time.

I don't think anyone has a magical calculator that will give the number of expats living here at any given time and stating if that number is static, rising or falling. Maybe there are less long term foreigners here these days, but it can't be calculated like tourist arrivals and certainly not measured by knowing of some who have left.

Agree with you.

I do feel though that demographics of expats are changing, more Chinese and Koreans and also Russians here these days and less other farang.

10 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Depends on why people leave doesn't it?

There are both push factors and pull factors that influence a decision.

All of the expats I know that have left recently were pushed out.

2 hours ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Pushed out how?

Visa problems, money/job problems?

Mafia problems (Simon).

15 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Are you considered to have left if you still lurk?

Ha,ha,ha:ph34r: Old Croc you are typically spot on. Valentine you too as to trying to clarify the topic.

Yes, I still lurk from abroad, receive topic notifications in my email, when something looks interesting pop in but the forced ad thing has made the site hugely clunky. I've got great speeds where I am but the loading of the ad images, et al, has me switching back to ESPN's page and then I forget to go back. Slow, slow, slow, no fun. Cheers to all, GOM.

7 hours ago, grumpyoldman said:

Ha,ha,ha:ph34r: Old Croc you are typically spot on. Valentine you too as to trying to clarify the topic.

Yes, I still lurk from abroad, receive topic notifications in my email, when something looks interesting pop in but the forced ad thing has made the site hugely clunky. I've got great speeds where I am but the loading of the ad images, et al, has me switching back to ESPN's page and then I forget to go back. Slow, slow, slow, no fun. Cheers to all, GOM.

Haha. I didn't really have you in mind GOM. I did note you were only posting very occasionally of late, but understood the reasons.

I was thinking more of people who declared they were out, but still can't resist reading here.

If I also stopped posting, but still lived here, I doubt I could resist checking out what's happening on the forum, so would never make the statement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2017 at 4:46 PM, Old Croc said:

"People seem to think that knowing of some expats leaving ,equates to something like "will the last one turn off the lights". - question is, do you know more that are leaving / left, than meeting new expat arrivals????

If most members of the Phuket Forum know more expats that are leaving, or who have left, as I do, that would tend to indicate a trend, would it not????

Edited by NamKangMan

On 27/02/2017 at 3:07 AM, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Interesting post for me, BD.

"There are both push factors and pull factors that influence a decision." - given my current lifestyle, and general happiness here, I can't see a "pull factor" to anywhere else at the moment.

So, that only left me to consider the "push factor" and as I keep a low profile here, I have little exposure to the corrupt and criminal Thai's here.  That said, infrastructure, transport, and visa issues are a concern for me, when these may not be for others.

I did cast a thought to whether another destination in the region would eventually "pull" me to it, or whether Phuket would "push" me to it.   

Certainly, in some regards, Phuket does a great job of "pushing" tourists and expats away. 

It would be a very subjective issue, as to whether an expat felt "pushed" or "pulled" to leave Phuket.  (Simon's experience aside) 

Edited by NamKangMan

6 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

"People seem to think that knowing of some expats leaving ,equates to something like "will the last one turn off the lights". - question is, do you know more that are leaving / left, than meeting new expat arrivals????

If most members of the Phuket Forum know more expats that are leaving, or who have left, as I do, that would tend to indicate a trend, would it not????

No, that indicates you're getting old and don't know the new arrivals any more.

8 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

That said, infrastructure, transport, and visa issues are a concern for me, when these may not be for others. 

Agree with that and for me the low rent Chinese tourists play a part, along with those of similar ilk from Russia...........their ignorance, stupidity and bad manners are extremely annoying. Add to that the greed of many figures "running" Phuket, along with the corruption inherent within the force meant to uphold law and order, and you have a mix which is hard to stomach.

On a broader scale, the fact that men in hats who have no experience whatsoever with government or accountability are running the whole show, combined with the desire of the wealthy elite to keep the status quo, have made me cast my eyes further afield, but whether I move or not is another matter.

Age, routine and friends here may well ensure my future is in Patong/Phuket because at some time in one's life one has to accept that which they can't change and get on with enjoying the things that they can.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Haven't had a post from LIK for a while. 

Is he still on Phuket, or joined the exodus?

Left the forum but lurking! "Last active three hours ago" according to his member profile.

Come on LIK, if you can read, you can post!