Phuket Gov says nightlife issue to be taken up with PM

rooster59

Phuket Gov says nightlife issue to be taken up with PM

Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_201724114614828_eVIqwrJGYWtZJdHvBvHZAOMxAvwPflLKHTADKKKj_jpeg.jpeg

Gov Chokchai has asked for strict cooperation from restaurant and bar owners about venue closing times in Phuket. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: A proposal to extend the operating times for nightlife entertainment venues in Phuket will be prepared and presented to Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-o-cha, Phuket Governor Chokchai Dejamornthan has confirmed.

The Governor has not revealed an exact date, but asked for strict cooperation from restaurant and bar owners in the ‘meantime’. 

More than 20 night entertainment venue owners met with Phuket Vice Governor Teera Anantaseriwidhya earlier this week to express their concern regarding closing times of bars and clubs on Soi Bangla, Phuket’s famed red light district. 

“I understand that it impacts nightlife and tourism, but we need to follow the law. We are working on the extension request to be submitted to the Prime Minister as well as the Ministry of Interior,” said Gov Chokchai.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Gov-says-nightlife-issue-be-taken/66223?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-02-04

" Gov Chokchai has asked for strict cooperation from restaurant and bar owners about venue closing times"

Um, shouldn't he be talking to the police, or army, or whomever it is that is supposed to enforce rules? Or have they just given up on that approach?

34 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

" Gov Chokchai has asked for strict cooperation from restaurant and bar owners about venue closing times"

Um, shouldn't he be talking to the police, or army, or whomever it is that is supposed to enforce rules? Or have they just given up on that approach?

No, it seems the whole country's political structure cannot seem to think for themselves.  They need uncle Too or a sub committee or a panel to guide them. 

If the noise is bothering some neighborhood, then fine, enforce the law.  But nobody's rights are

being infringed upon, let the good times role.  Laws are for protecting people not controlling them.

Lived near a night club in Bangkok.  Could hear it at night, but was not a bother.   

Nightlife,,,, there is none if demanding closure at midnight which is ridiculous

as 3 months ago when I was  in Patong all still operating 5 am.

Why now after 20 years + overnight are they suggesting midnight,,, ?????officialdom has lost the plot.

What does Madam Minister of Tourism think about this stupidity???????

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

I hope they will bring the music volume level a bit down of these joints same as they did in walking street Pattaya.

Yes agreed the volume along walking Street in Patong is ridiculous compared to Pattaya. Obviously the bars are competing for customers by increasing the volume.  Turn it down to 40db at midnight and lights out at 2am...easy. 

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

and he should also have a thick brown envelope with him.

44 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Nightlife,,,, there is none if demanding closure at midnight which is ridiculous

as 3 months ago when I was  in Patong all still operating 5 am.

Why now after 20 years + overnight are they suggesting midnight,,, ?????officialdom has lost the plot.

What does Madam Minister of Tourism think about this stupidity???????

Another case of "This is Thailand".

40 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Good.... sort it all out one way or the other.. because at the moment different part of the country inforce or ignore these laws... should be the same all over the country. 

Everyone everywhere in this country make up their own rules and laws, they just love the authority. Their heads are full of brown envelopes.

Places like Pattaya Walking Street, Patong and the Full Moon Party Islands have built reputations over many years as party destinations. These reputations have a lot to do with attracting certain types of tourists to Thailand to enjoy the madness. People travel from around the world for that reason.

Special entertainment zones, with late closing and few restrictions on noise and other activities should already be in effect in these places.

Old farts, whether they be Government officials or Thaivisa  posters, should not be trying to inject their own prejudices and morality into how these places operate! (within reason)

If the Government doesn't want them to exist then Cabinet should close down that aspect of tourism completely and watch the hedonists head elsewhere. Concentrate on the zero baht and temple gazing visitors instead.

If TVF members have  problems with these areas, simply stay away! Thailand is a big place outside these places, no need to go there! This old fart lives about 10ks from Patong, but  hasn't been there for years because I'm no longer interested in the place. However I accept that many, mainly younger, visitors love the lifestyle and a chance to let the hair down. 

Used to do it myself, I have no right to insist on old man closing times or cruise ship noise restrictions.

1 hour ago, tonywillo said:

Yes agreed the volume along walking Street in Patong is ridiculous compared to Pattaya. Obviously the bars are competing for customers by increasing the volume.  Turn it down to 40db at midnight and lights out at 2am...easy. 

The sound of a pin dropping is 40Db....sorry...:)

30 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Places like Pattaya Walking Street, Patong and the Full Moon Party Islands have built reputations over many years as party destinations. These reputations have a lot to do with attracting certain types of tourists to Thailand to enjoy the madness. People travel from around the world for that reason.

Special entertainment zones, with late closing and few restrictions on noise and other activities should already be in effect in these places.

Old farts, whether they be Government officials or Thaivisa  posters, should not be trying to inject their own prejudices and morality into how these places operate! (within reason)

If the Government doesn't want them to exist then Cabinet should close down that aspect of tourism completely and watch the hedonists head elsewhere. Concentrate on the zero baht and temple gazing visitors instead.

If TVF members have  problems with these areas, simply stay away! Thailand is a big place outside these places, no need to go there! This old fart lives about 10ks from Patong, but  hasn't been there for years because I'm no longer interested in the place. However I accept that many, mainly younger, visitors love the lifestyle and a chance to let the hair down. 

Used to do it myself, I have no right to insist on old man closing times or cruise ship noise restrictions.

Great post mate. Live and let live.

4 hours ago, 14Stevie said:

Great post mate. Live and let live.

so- we scrap any rules because 'I am on holiday'? Maybe I'll get a place next to where you live and make a racket when I go on holiday- because that's OK isn't it! I hope you like Motorhead.

Edited by Psimbo

10 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Let us know how you like it when they open a 5am karaoke bar next to your place.

9 hours ago, Psimbo said:

so- we scrap any rules because 'I am on holiday'? Maybe I'll get a place next to where you live and make a racket when I go on holiday- because that's OK isn't it! I hope you like Motorhead.

Feel free. However, where I live does not have a reputation as a dedicated party area with late closing times.

To clarify my opinion of  "live and let live" I will highlight the salient points from the Old Croc post to which I agreed with and influenced my response:

Places like Pattaya Walking Street, Patong and the Full Moon Party Islands have built reputations over many years as party destinations.

If TVF members have  problems with these areas, simply stay away! Thailand is a big place outside these places, no need to go there!

I at no point stated scrap any rules - I refer to the point above regarding special entertainment zones with late closing etc. and as long as the existing restrictions (if any) are abided to then so be it. These places attract a certain type of tourist and/or expat resident.

If you personally live in a residential area that has seen a growth of party style establishments around you and the effects of such are to be compounded by later closing times, then I genuinely feel for you.

And I'll take Mozart over Motorhead please.....

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Let us know how you like it when they open a 5am karaoke bar next to your place.

Better than getting an ignorant, intolerant bigot incapable of reading and comprehending a post.

Are you the type who buys a cheap house in an airport's flightpath then wants the airport to move because it's noisy?

1 hour ago, 14Stevie said:

To clarify my opinion of  "live and let live" I will highlight the salient points from the Old Croc post to which I agreed with and influenced my response:

Psimbo is a bit of stalker of mine. He was trying to have yet another go at me, but missed his target in his usual bumbling manner.

Like others of his ilk, best ignored.

Phuket is known as a party island.

The sunbeds have been removed from the beaches.

Now enforcement of the law in closing the bars at 1am.

How to destroy a very profitable industry in one easy go.

Crazy.

The only thing I agree with is noise reduction - how many of the staff and party goers will face hearing issues in the future?