Crash helmet campaign to be strengthened to promote bike safety

webfact

Crash helmet campaign to be strengthened to promote bike safety

ch.jpg

BANGKOK, 6 February 2017 (NNT) - The campaign to promote the use of crash helmets among motorcyclists and their passengers will be strengthened specifically to address children. 

The Save the Children group has issued a statement saying that statistics show the number of Thai children wearing crash helmets while traveling on the back of a bike seat has quadrupled to 30% from the past years. 

Partly because of the low use of helmets, more than 2,600 children die in road accidents each year, meaning over seven fatalities each day, the group points out. 

In addition, some 200 children are injured, and in some cases crippled in road accidents daily, because they weren't wear crash helmets, added the group. 

The Save the Children group said it would continue its campaign to help children understand the importance of wearing crash helmets as a basic safety measure. 

According to the World Health Organization, the number of Thailand’s road fatalities is ranked second in the world. 

It said that in 2015, about 1.3 school-age children in Thailand regularly traveled on the back of motorcycles each day but only seven percent put on crash helmets.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-02-06

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You Think I am Horrified when I see Mothers holding New Born babies in there arms as there Partners Drive bike no one wearing helmets

I see it every day in Chiang Mai My partner works I C U Chiang Mai Ram Hospital and the horror photos and sites I see of Young Children with there Heads caved in and there Bodies Tortured from Horrific Injuries every day but there will never be anything done as they are to busy Targeting Tourist for Tea Money

Yes, this is save the children strengthening their campaign not the police, not the army, not the junta .. And world charity.

quadrupled to 30% - I mean, you have to take your hat off to them, but i think they need some assistance there.

Oh come on... the helmet law has been around for so many years yet there is not a single day that I don't see someone riding without. I even watched a policeman let a Thai guy ride off without one from a road stop just a day ago as another checked my licence. Children learn from adults so stupidity will prevail.

5 minutes ago, trogers said:

They would ask this question - Why is a crash helmet needed on a head that is harder?

2 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

Well, in the case of that blue "egg shell" helmet in the photo, your question is a valid one.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The answer is very clear - To contain the scrambled brain matter!

Wearing helmets is the law...and has been for a very long time.

Why all these stupid campaigns to promote helmet use. Just enforce it.!  Confiscate the bikes, fine all helmetless riders 5,000baht and make them walk home!  And fine the parents/guardians of the underage kids that allow their kids to ride motorbikes. And penalise the schools too that allow underage kids to take their bikes to school.

2 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

And penalise the schools too that allow underage kids to take their bikes to school.

Schools could certainly do a lot with regard to motorcycle offenses. After all education is their business and it should not stop at the 3Rs.

Putting a cheap plastic helmet on the child and then seating her in front of the driver to be crushed in case of an accident defies common sense. 

In Europe, this would be considered attempted murder or child endangerment, here they call it safety first.:ph34r:

Edited by fullcave
your site still has some bugs since last update. Causing loss of text. Please fix it.

Every weekday morning, more than 100 bikes are parked on the road outside Prakhonchai Bus Station  by schoolkids from the nearby school. They are not allowed to take the bikes into school grounds unless thay have a licence and wear helmets.What a simple task it would be for the Police to be near the bus station at 4pm-after school -  and stop all the kids without helmets being worn, fine them and confiscate the bikes for 1 week. They are a sitting target! But of course that is too much trouble for our mighty Police, even though they could probably pocket half of what they fined the kids. 

It is time for everyone to start caring and do something about the horrific accidents that occur daily. 

We look at things from our western perspective. The children of the elite that run this country  don't ride motorbikes, don't ride in vans or buses and are educated overseas. That is why the ruling class see no benefit in enforcing these laws, reducing the road toll or improving the education system. They just don't care if thousands of the peasant class die every year or a destined for a life with no future.

Putting a cheap plastic helmet on the child and then seating her in front of the driver to be crushed in case of an accident defies common sense. 

In Europe, this would be considered attempted murder or child endangerment, here they call it safety first.[emoji185]

Thailand's motorbike culture will take decades to change, particularly while cars remain unaffordable to a large percentage of the population. It can happen, and hopefully will, with Vietnam showing the way.

38 minutes ago, jimstar1 said:

You Think I am Horrified when I see Mothers holding New Born babies in there arms as there Partners Drive bike no one wearing helmets

I see it every day in Chiang Mai My partner works I C U Chiang Mai Ram Hospital and the horror photos and sites I see of Young Children with there Heads caved in and there Bodies Tortured from Horrific Injuries every day but there will never be anything done as they are to busy Targeting Tourist for Tea Money

Totally agree with the comment.

they have tea money stops set up all around the old city. Mainly targeting foreigners hiring bikes to see the sights. 

Trying to catch them without a bike licence.The bike shop that hired the bike should be held responsible for hiring a bike to a person that does not have a licence. 

Not wearing a helmet should apply to all,not just foreigners.

Its so simple if they really want to fix this issue. Give the country a months notice, put it on every tv channel,as of the 1st April police catching persons riding bikes without a helmet will have their bikes confiscated for 1 month. Plus a fine.

My Thai GF won't go anywhere without wearing her helmet. So it's an attitude problem. To fix an attitude problem you hit them wear it hurts.

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Oh come on... the helmet law has been around for so many years yet there is not a single day that I don't see someone riding without. I even watched a policeman let a Thai guy ride off without one from a road stop just a day ago as another checked my licence. Children learn from adults so stupidity will prevail.

There is no single minute i don't see someone driving without helmet in BKK.

There is no single half minute i don't see someone driving against traffic.

There is no single year i see police on patrol and writing fines to ANY offenders.

There is no single minute i see a Thai (lady most often) driving 55 on the middle lane of a main road where 80 is the speed limit.

There is no single 3 minutes i don't see a Thai on the phone while driving a vehicle..

There is no single minute i don't see a car using it's indicatorlights.

But it's all the fault of the ones who's job it is to correct drivers...we all know who they are.

What standard do these compulsory helmets have to abide by? the pieces of cheap plastic that the child above has on will afford no protection, a plastic bucket would give more protection in a accident.

The correct helmet that is made to a "standard" affords protection, but it is not a magical device that will instantly protect the person! especially with children they increase the chances of major neck injuries vastly as children's necks are not developed enough to cope with the weight!

Underage helmetless kids riding to and from school on their own motorcycles where I live and all whilst a cop keeps watch outside the school gate.

Until these issues are genuinely addressed for more than the usual few days this will be yet another pissing in the wind initiative.

"The campaign to promote the use of crash helmets among motorcyclists and their passengers will be strengthened specifically to address children."

I am willing to bet that after this campaign gets started, you will see underage children, 4 to a bike, none wearing helmets, not getting noticed, let alone stopped by the police.

Also, the police not stopping adults without helmets, because: "I know their family. Good and important people".

Anyone want to take me up on this? I thought not.

Edited by jaltsc

1 hour ago, jimstar1 said:

Yep, I get a ticket whilst a woman in a black bag who can't even see goes by without a helmet. Everyone else grabbed. Maybe I don't belong on Soi Nerm Plab Wan.

The helmets used here, not the imported ones, are designed to save you a fine from the fuzz, not save your life.They look good and try to save you from becoming a watermellon head, at the scene of an accident.They only way to get any form of safety going, is to educate the squishy organ inside the head.

Until then helmets are useless. Save money and become an organ donar instead.

Agree, these so called helmets that don't meet any safety standards and can be bought for as little as 99 Baht are worse than no helmet at all. My next door neighbour is a neurosurgeon at a large Government Hospital. He is the best advertisement for wearing a good helmet that you would ever meet. I keep telling him he needs to go into the local schools with photos and show these kids what can happen. He works every New Year and Songkran holiday as that is the busiest time for him. The horror stories he tells about trying to pick pieces of shattered plastic out of kid's brains is something that all the others should hear.

I have ridden motorbikes for about 45 years in Australia. Had a CBR250 here in Thailand for a while but the roads are just too dangerous for riding and I ended up selling it. Had one bad accident in Australia and I still have the Arai helmet I was wearing . It has two very deep and long gouges across the top of it and definately saved my life.

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

Schools could certainly do a lot with regard to motorcycle offenses. After all education is their business and it should not stop at the 3Rs.

...and teachers enter the school premises on their motorcycles not wearing a helmet, seen in Nong Trut, near Trang. Asking one teacher, why he is not wearing a helmet he said: "We do not need them here, it is only dangerous in Bangkok."