Former Korat deputy police chief accused of forest encroachment

webfact

A former deputy police chief accused of forest encroachment

IMG_9172.jpg

KORAT: -- A complaint has been lodged with Wang Nam Khiew district police by a forestry official against former deputy police chief, Pol Gen Chumphon Munmai, former Nakhon Ratchasima police commander and his wife for alleged forest encroachment.

On February 6, a combined force of Wang Nam Khiew district police and officials from Thap Larn national park and police from natural resources and environment protection raided a six-unit housing complex in Suksomboon village in Tambon Thai Samakkhi, Wang Nam Khiew district.

The housing complex is made up of six housing units located on a 13-rai plot of land located close to a creek.

Mrs Tim Uthat, 47, who looks after the complex told the officials she has been working there since 2005 for Pol Gen Chumpon who owns the place. She said the land plot was bought from Pol Maj-Gen Pongdet Prommichit, former commander of Nakhon Ratchasima police, and his wife, Mrs Chayanit.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-deputy-police-chief-accused-forest-encroachment/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-02-13

Ex-deputy police chief among 3 charged with encroachment
By THE NATION

ddade7e1020eae3df471d512af75a3c6.jpeg

Jumpol

KORAT: -- FORMER deputy police commissioner Pol General Jumpol Munmai and two others have been charged with encroaching on Thap Lan National Park in Nakhon Ratchasima’s Wang Nam Khiao district.

The Royal Thai Police announced yesterday that Jumpol – and Pol Maj-General Pongdej Prommijitr and Chayanit Pisitwanit – had been charged by a forestry official from the Wang Nam Khiao district police. They face charges after local police, the Crime Suppression Division, a local Army infantry battalion, environmental crime police and forestry officials raided a plot of land in the district last Monday.

According to a statement from the Royal Thai Police, the raid found that there were six houses built on the plot under the care of a 47-year-old woman, Tim Uthat.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30306239

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-13

The fish, they say, stinks from it's head.... if general, ministers and other people

in high offices are thumbing their noses at the law of the land, what example

are they setting for the everyday Joe average in this country?.....

7 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Much much more to this story than meets the eye.

Seems straightforward to me.  One police chief acquires an illegal piece of land; he sells it to a second police chief; both believe no one will touch them.  Just an ordinary day in corruption-free Thailand.

11 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Seems straightforward to me.  One police chief acquires an illegal piece of land; he sells it to a second police chief; both believe no one will touch them.  Just an ordinary day in corruption-free Thailand.

Are you trying to tarnish their good image? Shame on you! twenty lashes with wet noodle!

Squatting  rights? never !

Encroachment, last week my farther in laws rice field had a concrete pier put into his field shaving off a third of his 3 rai , he has been working that land for over 50 years, and his farther before him, but the neighbor thought he would try to garnish some extra, (just like that,)thinking that nothing would be done about it, with bravado stand over tactics,

before things escalted into violence and all manner of officialdom, 

The neighbor retracted his claim when the produced chanote title was produced., which had only just be registered with the government, 

So it is not only the powerful who try to encroach, 

this is the second such land grab I have been first hand dealing with, 

the second one happened last year , where the 5 rai we bought and built shops at on end on the main soi, the man who sold the land 30 years ago to another Thai who we bought it from ( chanote ) in his name , transferred to my wife name, this previous owner took his claim to Korat, and my wife and the seller to us had to spend nearly 5 months going to court to sort the first owners claim, 

The judge finally threw his claim out. Land and clear title is paramount in Thailand.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

All money made from this land should be returned to the nation where it rightfully belongs. Or will there be a 'back door' settlement deal made.

29 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Made good headlines but what really is the back story. Probably a story of belonging to the wrong power group or a falling out of the inner circle. There really is no consistency in arresting corrupt officials to make this news credible. 

Reminds me of George Bush's famous saying "Your either with us or against us" 

16 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

No surprises here I'm still trying to wrap my head around How Ever Rich the PM IS he transferred over19 million U S DOLLARS TO FAMILY MEMBERS HE STILL HAS OVER 9 million a 600 series Benz a 700 series BMW BOY THE GOVERNMENT JOB PAY WELL TIT

And how rich all his Generals are. But you can't be critical of the army. No, you'll be put in prison for that. But any Tom, Dick or Harry can be critical of the police. It's easy to see why.

Thaksin and the Red Shirts are associated with the police.

The Business Elite and Yellow Shirts are associated with the army.

Edited by tukkytuktuk

53 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

And how rich all his Generals are. But you can't be critical of the army. No, you'll be put in prison for that. But any Tom, Dick or Harry can be critical of the police. It's easy to see why.

Thaksin and the Red Shirts are associated with the police.

The Business Elite and Yellow Shirts are associated with the army.

So the RTP should be above reproach because you have some twisted idea that it is unfair for people to associate them with red shirts? Sounds like you think you're the only one entitled to an opinion.

11 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Squatting  rights? never !

Encroachment, last week my farther in laws rice field had a concrete pier put into his field shaving off a third of his 3 rai , he has been working that land for over 50 years, and his farther before him, but the neighbor thought he would try to garnish some extra, (just like that,)thinking that nothing would be done about it, with bravado stand over tactics,

before things escalted into violence and all manner of officialdom, 

The neighbor retracted his claim when the produced chanote title was produced., which had only just be registered with the government, 

So it is not only the powerful who try to encroach, 

this is the second such land grab I have been first hand dealing with, 

the second one happened last year , where the 5 rai we bought and built shops at on end on the main soi, the man who sold the land 30 years ago to another Thai who we bought it from ( chanote ) in his name , transferred to my wife name, this previous owner took his claim to Korat, and my wife and the seller to us had to spend nearly 5 months going to court to sort the first owners claim, 

The judge finally threw his claim out. Land and clear title is paramount in Thailand.

This is an ancient problem. King Rama V (whom farangs call Chulalongkorn) purposely made the land title system ambiguous to combat overreach by the powerful families (Thailand did not have a hereditary nobility), and when his political power increased to the point where he could have imposed a clearer system he chose not to for reasons we do not know. Possibly to do with English encroachment by way of timber concessions in Chiang Mai. Governments since the 1932 Revolution have been very slow to reform the system, and one of the things I hold against Thaksin is that he continued to protect this kind of encroachment.