Extortion by Immigration Police - How to Stop ?

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Been here 30 years ,never experienced any of the corruption

you post about,not saying it does not happen,but never to me.

different Immigration offices I suppose.

regards worgeordie

PS I have yellow book so dont need document for "Proof of residence",

always post my 90 day report,and give the exact 1900 THB when doing 

extension.

I still don't think you live here. 

• Like 1

The office I go to has a sign stating that if anyone asks you for a tip or tea money to call the number posted on the sign.

I've never been asked by an Immigration Police officer for any extra fee. However, many farangs around here say they put 500Bt in their passport at extension time for "preferred service." I don't know why you would need preferred service, as when I did my extension in 2015, it only took 25 minutes from exiting my truck until re entering my truck. Last year it took forrrrrrrever....45 minutes.

We'll see what happens this July. Maybe, since it will be 10 years, they'll have balloons and confetti.

• Like 1

I am horrified and sickened by the corruption at local immigration.

A few years ago, I forgot to do my 24 hr report on arrival in my town. Went to immigration 2 weeks later, apologizing profusely. Girl behind the desk disobeyed all the rules, stamped my passport and said "don't do it again". I left her 500 baht under the blotter on her desk, and again, with total disregard for "the rules", she came running out after me to give it back!

And then last year, I missed my 90 day report by 3 weeks. 2,000 Baht fine.... "if I wanted a receipt".  I decided to make a stand agsinst corruption right there and then, and handed over 2,000 Baht ...... NOT!

Edited by Marvo

Done for 3000THB to "expedite" the retirement visa 

( extension of stay) when we first arrived quite a few years ago. The officer was later moved to an "inactive post" at a border crossing.

Nothing since has been requested or intimated. I saw one post relating to a 500baht "tip" being acceptable -seriously!

6 hours ago, glegolo said:

Yes I fully agree with you! Without openess there will NEVER be any change and corruption will always be present...

But on the other hand there also seems to be a endless stream of newcomers to this country who all allow this shit to happen. And "allow" it, just to let it happen without any reaction whatsoever...

I agree, publish the things that happens to you, naming the Immigration office point out blank... 

Glegolo

Yes, you wonder why so many Thaivisa members are full of praise for Thai Immigration.