my Thai girlfriend is pregnant

El Diablo

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Oh God!.... there's always one isn't there?

Can you recommend an optician for some cheap but decent 20/20 vision hindsight glasses? I lost mine while I was shagging Eva Webster in the graveyard behind the youth club in the summer of '73.

was she any good?

On 2/14/2017 at 4:30 PM, El Diablo said:

yeah nah i havent brought it up to her yet, im just doing the preliminary research into where exactly to get it done and the cost etc. i can always use the carrot that if im the real father il support her financially...

'yeah nah...' well there's a nice adult approach ...

7 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

The easy way is wait till the child is born and see who it looks like If it does not look like you then have a test If it does look like you 

and my guess already is is you then 
Congradulations 

What has looks got to do with it?   I don't look anything like my mother and my sister doesn't look anything like our father, that doesn't mean we are not their offspring!

On 2/14/2017 at 4:05 PM, khunpa said:

I am sure you can get a DNA test at any decent hospital in Bangkok.

However, you might also begin to consider how you plan this kid to grow up and how you are going to ensure its future...

Unless you do it Thai-man Style and just turn your back.

If it isn't his why should he care about it's future?  Unless he loves the girl enough to take on someone else's kid.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

@jonw8uk i emailed those two labs also bumrungrad and samitivej hospital, im not sure if those private dna labs that send the results to america to be analised are trustworthy, they are asking for 48 000 baht for a prenatal dna test. samitivej hospital told me that no private hospital can do dna testing, only the police hospital can, so im trying to contact the police hospital now

Police General Hospital is the largish, old hospital pretty much right across from CentralWorld in BKK near the Chidlom BTS Station. Despite the name, it's a government public hospital that also handles general medical care.

I believe that's where the somewhat dubious RTP forensics department is located, the local folks who do DNA and similar testing as part of criminal investigations. Perhaps it's true, but I'd be surprised if it were to turn out that they actually handle paternity DNA testing for the general public.

8 hours ago, El Diablo said:

thanks for your reply, if the baby is mine, how much would be a reasonable amount of money to give the mother every month while she is pregnant? considering she has currently moved back in with her mum and is helping her mum working from home ( her mother has a business making clothes) 

after the baby is born if my girlfriends mother takes care of the baby full time from around 6 months old , how much should i send her to take care of the baby? i would want to keep her happy so she doesnt resent my child but i dont want to get ripped off just because im a falang. 

im thinking far ahead into the future now and im thinking when the baby is about 5-6 years old and ready to start school i could bring him/her to australia. what is the best way to teach a young kid to speak english in bangkok? can you get private english tutoring for children under 5 years old and is it worth while? 

It's relative to a balance between what can be afforded, and what is expected. I would begin with looking at minimum salary – you talked about a poor Isaan-family living in Bangkok – for example compared to a six-day-a-week assistent job in BigC or like, that pays some 8,000 baht a month plus Social Security. Anything between 5,000 baht – when helping in mom's business – to 10,000 baht a month seem reasonable. She will probably wish a monthly pregnancy check up, and often in a private clinic – that's normal Thai, and they also make regular ultrasound scanning; the clinic will provide a small government booklet with all check-ups, and that booklet will follow the child as it include vaccination program etc. – so count another 1,000 baht a month for that (may be different price in Bangkok, we paid average just under 600 baht for each check-up including ultrasound scanning and vitamins, but that was 11 years ago).

If your girlfriend has/had a job where Social Security is paid, and shes has been paying SS long enough (think it's 6 month minimum), she will be eligible to paid pregnancy/childbirth leave (think it's 3 month) and will also receive about 300-400 baht a month when the baby is born, I'm however not sure for how long time; my girlfriend got baby-support for a few years.

For your girlfriend's mum to take care, you shall count some 3,000 baht a month (100 baht a day) for the baby, plus another 1,000 a month for clothing etc., plus some compensation to your girlfriend's mum for doing the job; I would today count 150 baht a day, i.e. 4, 500-5,000 baht a month, based on the 300 baht a day minimum salary. So minimum 8,000 baht a month; but again, it's relative to expectations and what can be afforded, perhaps 10,000 baht a month is more like it..?

You will also be met with the question about where to give birth – in a public hospital or private hospital..? – and do you have some easy accessable cash in an "emergency account", in case of complications..?

If your GF is not registered as resident in Bangkok (many workers from Isaan are not registered in Bangkok, as they don't own an apartment/a house, i.e. don't have a House Book), and not assigned to SS, she may need to pay also at a public hospital (you'll need to check up on present situation, or another poster here may know), so in that case you shall count to cover some level of expenses for childbirth, which can be from 10,000 baht and up (some other poster may know more about present costs in Bangkok).

It's not blank'n'white – there are at least 50 shades of grey – so all about money is a question of balance between you, and your girlfriend, and her mum, and what is reasonable for all parts; and for the baby...

For a "half child" to learn proper English is both a question of language in the home, and language in the school. It's a benefit for the child to be bilingual – some recent scientific studies shows that bilingual children have better developed brains – so if you can afford a nursery from age 2, where they learn numbers and both Latin and Thai letters, followed by en EP-school Kindergarten, you are better off than with a Thai only Kindergarten. It's also a question about how well your girlfriend speak English, and if she's prepared to speak English with the child – if you are not more-or-less permanent around – so for example grandparents speaks Thai, and your GF speak English. There are private English tutors available, but I have no experience with that, or the cost.

Small children are easy learners, and easily adapt another language, so even you may have a child with limited English language at the age of 5 to 6 years, the child will probably quickly adapt English if you bring the child to Australia. I have no opinion about comparison between Australian school and the possibilities with various Thai schools; there may be other aspects also to take into consideration, for example Thai language and the child's future in Thailand. However, if it's in your mind to bring your child to Australia, you shall prepare for dual citizenship, and that you have your full rights as father cleared, just in case. Having your name on the birth certificate don't give you any legal rights at all, if you're not married to the mother at time of birth. You can have the child carrying your family-name anyway, the first name shall normally be Thai (there is a big book with illegal names, including all Western-sounding name, but that can be little different from province to province how strict they are). You'll need a certified translation of your passport to Thai, for the Birth Certificate, if you wish the child shall have your family-name (might be a benefit later, if you wish to bring the child abroad).

To have rights as father, when not married, you will probably need a Court-order, when the child is under 7 years old; otherwise it can be done at the Amphor's (local district office) one-stop office, where they issue a certificate that shall be confirmed in person by both the mother and the child, and two witnesses (often staff from the office). There are several threads in Thai Visa Forum about this issue, and some posters may be better informed and updated than me. I had the document made when my daughter was about 7 years old (also age for ID-card), my GF and I are not married, and I had it translated to English by an authorized translator, and legalized at The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, together with the Birth Certificate and an English translation hereof, which was a demand by my home-country. I'll presume it's same procedure with translation and legalization with a Court father-ship document (joint parental responsibility). Check what is needed by the Australian Embassy in Bangkok. You will see many threads in the forums here about problems with being legal recognized as father, so just in case, I'll kindly advise you to get it right from the beginning.

:smile:

14 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

accidently having my son with a thai bird i was seeing was one of the greatest things that ever happened to me. i got a dna test but waited till he was born. it can cause the baby problems extracting dna in the womb. costs hardly anything to support a thai bird and a kid. my son just turned 5 and just started school. i still cant believe it. he is the coolest little guy. good luck. message me and i will share my experience if you are interested.

"costs hardly anything to support a thai bird and a kid" : apologies, but your statements sounds as if you are talking about the cost of having some pet dogs at home, not your wife & child.

24 minutes ago, saakura said:

"costs hardly anything to support a thai bird and a kid" : apologies, but your statements sounds as if you are talking about the cost of having some pet dogs at home, not your wife & child.

point i am making is that being a cheap skate and not doing the right thing because it is  expensive does not make sense as far as i am concerned,

18 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

accidently having my son with a thai bird i was seeing was one of the greatest things that ever happened to me. i got a dna test but waited till he was born. it can cause the baby problems extracting dna in the womb. costs hardly anything to support a thai bird and a kid. my son just turned 5 and just started school. i still cant believe it. he is the coolest little guy. good luck. message me and i will share my experience if you are interested.

I'd be interested to hear that. 

14 hours ago, gdgbb said:

What has looks got to do with it?   I don't look anything like my mother and my sister doesn't look anything like our father, that doesn't mean we are not their offspring!

Agreed. Quite silly to think that facial features are a surefire way of identifying ones progeny. Neither of you look anything like the milkman either.

16 hours ago, gdgbb said:

If you dont look like your parents then look at the mailman, cable guy, Fix it man, or any other male that 

may come to your house from time to time

If you find a similarity in looks to you BINGO Your loving dad

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Agreed. Quite silly to think that facial features are a surefire way of identifying ones progeny. Neither of you look anything like the milkman either.

Not sure whether you're being facetious, trying to be sarcastic or being sincere but somehow I doubt the latter!

3 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

If you dont look like your parents then look at the mailman, cable guy, Fix it man, or any other male that 

may come to your house from time to time

If you find a similarity in looks to you BINGO Your loving dad

I know you're trying to be humourous but originally you weren't referring to "looking like your parents" (i.e. one of them) one you were referring to his child looking like him alone, there's a difference.

21 hours ago, gdgbb said:

It could do, if your skin is very dark - and both your mom and dad have white skin... ;-) .... Just saying :-)

Seem some Farangs here, who have a pure Thai-looking kid, who they truly believe is theirs. Always good fun to see that.

6 minutes ago, khunpa said:

It could do, if your skin is very dark - and both your mom and dad have white skin... ;-) .... Just saying :-)

Seem some Farangs here, who have a pure Thai-looking kid, who they truly believe is theirs. Always good fun to see that.

No one was talking about skin colour.

As I said, my sister is the spitting image of our mother, doesn't look anything like our father, it doesn't mean she isn't our father's child.  Except to the ignorant.

Archived