3BB - Internet International Surfing

StarJedi

I started off with the standard 3BB 50 VDSL package, testmynet speeds were very good at all times but experienced buffering on internationally sourced HD streams every evening.

After 2 weeks I added the inter package, speeds all the same but the buffering stopped.

At my second property I subscribed to 3BB 30 VDSL, speeds were good but obviously less than the 50 package and thankfully I didn't experience any evening buffer issues.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Caiman said:

3BB activated ipv6 on both my accounts, had to request deactivation so I could use my international IPTV service again.

I don't understand how activating IPv6 would stop you from using your international IPTV service.  But hey, lord knows weird things happen with internet connections/computers.

Just activating IPv6 would just give you IPv4 (which you already/still had) "and IPv6" capability.   It's not like activating IPv6 deactivates IPv4 as it don't.

Having IPv6 activated should still allow you to connect to your IPTV service using IPv4, and if your IPTV service had IPv6 servers also, then connect to their IPv6 servers also.  Maybe there is an IPv4/IPv6 misconfiguration on your computer(s) causing the problem.

Do you use Windows?   If so a person may have to run an "EasyFix" from the Microsoft support website to "fully" enable IPv6 and even IPv4 on Windows computers.  An  EasyFix only takes a few seconds to run....I've used them many times in playing with my AIS IPv4 and IPv6 setup.  By "fully" I mean even with IPv4 and IpV6 settings activated n your Windows networking menus, Windows still may not be fully configured/setup right to make IPv4 and IPv6 interface properly/coexist/work properly.   I expect 3BB has native (non-tunneling IPv6) just like AIS Fibre so you would only be interested in running the appropriate Easy Fix in the first two columns from the left at above website.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

I don't understand how activating IPv6 would stop you from using your international IPTV service.  But hey, lord knows weird things happen with internet connections/computers.

Just activating IPv6 would just give you IPv4 (which you already/still had) "and IPv6" capability.   It's not like activating IPv6 deactivates IPv4 as it don't.

Having IPv6 activated should still allow you to connect to your IPTV service using IPv4, and if your IPTV service had IPv6 servers also, then connect to their IPv6 servers also.  Maybe there is an IPv4/IPv6 misconfiguration on your computer(s) causing the problem.

Do you use Windows?   If so a person may have to run an "EasyFix" from the Microsoft support website to "fully" enable IPv6 and even IPv4 on Windows computers.  An  EasyFix only takes a few seconds to run....I've used them many times in playing with my AIS IPv4 and IPv6 setup.  By "fully" I mean even with IPv4 and IpV6 settings activated n your Windows networking menus, Windows still may not be fully configured/setup right to make IPv4 and IPv6 interface properly/coexist/work properly.   I expect 3BB has native (non-tunneling IPv6) just like AIS Fibre so you would only be interested in running the appropriate Easy Fix in the first two columns from the left at above website.

The IPTV service I use is not ipv6 compatible and wasn't seeing the ipv4 only the long ipv6 address, Getting 3BB to turn it off made it work again on my Android boxes and LG Smart TV's. Did the same the brief time I had AIS Fibre with the same result. I don't use Windows for streaming.

Edited by Caiman

3 hours ago, Caiman said:

The IPTV service I use is not ipv6 compatible and wasn't seeing the ipv4 only the long ipv6 address, Getting 3BB to turn it off made it work again on my Android boxes and LG Smart TV's. Did the same the brief time I had AIS Fibre with the same result. I don't use Windows for streaming.

Which IPTV service is it?

32 minutes ago, Caiman said:

Not sure we're allowed to mention services on here but it runs flawlessly most of the time!

IPTV services are being mentioned and discussed here all the time. 

Really curious to know which one is yours that has such a disappointing limitation. 

1 hour ago, dr_lucas said:

IPTV services are being mentioned and discussed here all the time. 

Really curious to know which one is yours that has such a disappointing limitation. 

Yes they are being mentioned by some but I remember reading previous guidelines advising against it following the collapse of some local services, the clue is the word beginning with F. Feel free to PM me if still stuck.

I researched the pros and cons of ipv6 and incompatible sites of which there are many will not function correctly. I agree It's a limitation of the service and  like other sites will need to adapt when eventually ipv6 becomes the standard as ipv4 addresses run out. At this stage disappointing isn't a word that I associate with.

2 hours ago, Caiman said:

I researched the pros and cons of ipv6 and incompatible sites of which there are many will not function correctly. I agree It's a limitation of the service and  like other sites will need to adapt when eventually ipv6 becomes the standard as ipv4 addresses run out. At this stage disappointing isn't a word that I associate with.

IPv6, which is destined to becoming the replacement for IPv4, still has a long way to go worldwide "adoption-wise"...that is, the number of websites, ISPs, and end-users (i.e., people like use) using IPv6.    So far it has been a slow adoption of IPv6 even in western countries. And in less developed nations the adoption is even slower or local ISPs haven't even started yet.

Lots of stats out there regarding IPv6 adoption (use)...like this Google webpage which shows IPv6 adoption on a worldwide basis and by many country.   On a worldwide basis IPv6 adoption stands at around 20%...only 20% since its  introduction numerous years ago...but adoption is now finally beginning to speed-up....kinda like a stock market showing a steep, steady climb upwards.  And for Thailand IPv6 adoption it only stands at around 12%. 

Thought I would include below a partial quote/snapshot from the Google webpage talking a few IPv6 usage/issues.  Now Thailand is shown in Green but it also shows IPv6 has a 20ms high latency impact in Thailand.  I expect that is due to needing to reach out to many IPv6 websites outside of Thailand.  In places like the US/UK the IPv6 latency impact is basically 0ms probably due to US/UK folks not needing to reach out beyond their own country to reach an IPv6 site therefore lower latency impact.

Capture.JPG.8e2e781bec34e1bfb39b6d868bddbe29.JPG

And here's another website, an IPv6 testing website, that gives some IPv6 stats also.  It shows two Thai ISPs, AIS and 3BB as being the biggest players in the IPv6 use in Thailand.  AIS will show as AIS Fibre and AWM....3BB as Triplenet.  

Since it cost money for ISPs and websites to switch/also use IPv6 and since IPv4's life has been extended through various things like CGNAT, NAT, etc.,  the rush to switch to IPv6 is more like a slow walk...no hurry to get there since IPv4 is still meeting needs and the majority of folks.   

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I wonder what is special about your accounts for this to happen?

It didn't make me feel special when I couldn't watch anything and I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Just kicked in sometime Sunday/Monday this week and took a couple of days to suss it out.

I know 2 others who have had ipv6 activated and another who's still ipv4 only. So random roll out?

My IPTV service also does not work with ipv6.

I asked AIS fibre to disable ipv6 which they did, but last week they gave me a new router (my fourth), and ipv6 was enabled.

The only thing really affected by it was my IPTV service. I disabled ipv6 using windows and now it works fine.