Girlfriend sacked for stealing perfume - how would you feel?

paulsingle

My girlfriend has been working in a family run hotel for a couple of months.

Yesterday the boss sacked her because she stole perfume from one of the guests while cleaning the room. She sprayed a little on herself but also put about half a teaspoon in her own little perfume bottle.

Her colleague who was with her reported her to the boss.

Our relationship is 2 years old now and she has spent 3 months with me in the UK and we have spent 6 months together in Phuket.

She has proved to be extremely honest and a very loving and devoted partner. She is a very generous person who frequently helps other people in need and is very soft-hearted when it comes to anyone or any creature that is suffering in any way. 

I was surprised at her nicking a drop of perfume while working. I buy everything she needs or wants and she knows I would buy her more perfume if she asked.

She doesn't like to ask too much and worries about spending my money.

My feelings for her have not changed. I love her to bits and although it was theft taking a bit of perfume, it was hardly the heist of the century.

I think her moral compass just needed a tiny bit of fine tuning and I feel very sorry for her as she's devastated and sorry for what she's done.

How would you feel in my position? 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something like this posted in " Pub......etc " make me think troll.

I'll bite,  yeah l would be upset and angry too, when you say you could of bought that perfume for her,  it makes you doubtful and suspicious of someone close to you.

As for carrying around a bottle of your own while working for topping up purposes that's in my book is having in mind as an intent to steal.

She was in a position of trust and abused it, she deserved the dismissal. Sounds to me like she knew exactly what she was doing (she was equipped = premeditated) and has done it before, I wouldnt trust her, and once trust is gone there is no point continuing in my book.

Big question for me would be how do you know exactly what happenned. If she told you herself and particularly if you would not have known the details otherwise then she is at least being honest with you and it can probably be put down to a 'mistake' rather than anything more drastic.

Once a thief always a thief.

A women with no  boundaries is a women to run from.

Some say love is a  serious, mental illness. 

Which is confirmed with all the media attention recently with all the physical violence, murders and suicides.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Her workmate the SNITCH is worse. I can see ratting out for something serious that really hurt someone like stealing a passport, but that was so PETTY. 

Are you kidding??? She deserves a promotion and a raise.

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Are you kidding??? She deserves a promotion and a raise.

No. Not kidding.

Likely why she did it. Brow nose snitch. What's to love there?

Imagine being in a relationship with a brown nose snitch Thai. Surely there is some small petty illegal thing that almost all of us are doing that such a sleazy goody two shoes could report to the authorities. Who'd want to sleep with that? 

1 hour ago, Orac said:

Big question for me would be how do you know exactly what happenned. If she told you herself and particularly if you would not have known the details otherwise then she is at least being honest with you and it can probably be put down to a 'mistake' rather than anything more drastic.

She immediately told me everything and admits it was wrong. I'm pretty sure she won't do anything like it again.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No. Not kidding.

Imagine being in a relationship with a brown nose snitch Thai. Surely there is some small petty illegal thing that almost all of us are doing that such a sleazy goody two shoes could report to the authorities. Who'd want to sleep with that? 

Uhmm….me!  Snitch snatch is the best! 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Something like this posted in " Pub......etc " make me think troll.

I'll bite,  yeah l would be upset and angry too, when you say you could of bought that perfume for her,  it makes you doubtful and suspicious of someone close to you.

As for carrying around a bottle of your own while working for topping up purposes that's in my book is having in mind as an intent to steal.

Kwasaki this is not a troll post. I think you and I have had views in common on other issues in this forum. Look at my history on the forum.

She has always carried her little perfume bottle around in her handbag. I don't think she's been planning to nick a couple of millilitres of perfume for 2 years.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No. Not kidding.

I agree with Gecko 100%

I have a friend who had an employee steal 200 kB in a Branch office. No one said anything but it was picked up by Accounts in Headoffice about a week later. He went to investigate what had happened in the Branch and found that 9 employees knew about it but had said nothing. He quite rightly sacked the thief and all 9 who didn't say anything as well as reporting it to the police.

Jingthing your attitude is totally shocking. All thieves start with petty theft and should not be tolerated.

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Her workmate the SNITCH is worse. I can see ratting out for something serious that really hurt someone like stealing a passport, but that was so PETTY. 

Until of course your staying in a hotel and discover later that something is missing from your luggage? And the colleague knows that by looking the other way she is indeed aiding and abetting ... a few drips of perfume today is money from a wallet tomorrow, and if she's your team mate the suspicion hangs over you too. The workmate did the right thing.

As for the OP, it's one error ... best keep an eye on her to make sure it's not a pattern of behaviour, in which case kick her out.

Archived