CC unpaid can you leave the country?

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

It all depends on what the profit is, banks like all big business is ruled by greed.

Banks always tell you the interest rate, terms of the loan...they

must, It's the law....if you don't like the terms go to another bank.

If you pay your bills on time, have an excellent FICA score 775+

you can negotiate the contract in your favor....sometimes  get 

loan at 1-4% interest....I have!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

OP is asking about consciously skipping on his debt obligations which can land you in jail even in the West.

Credit card debt is a civil issue and you cant be jailed for it anywhere I know of in the West, which is probably a bad thing. Jailing people who dont pay their debts would certainly get my vote, as would making company directors personally responsible for their company's debts (to the extent of whatever they had previously earned from the company, directly or indirectly).

Some things like non-payment of taxes can result in custodial sentences but they are not debts as such.

Lying in order to obtain credit could be a criminal offence, but that doesnt seem to be the case here.

36 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Same.

I use my credit card for convenience, such as paying flights, or hotels where debit cards are not accepted.

I immediately pay of the bill using my debit card and never pay any interest.

I do the same thing....same American Express card for 30+ years,

same Master Card or 28years...my security blanket while traveling!

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

. However, I can attest to similar, socially challenged 'ghettos' in Scotland way, way before the French banlue's grabbed the worlds attention.

Sorry to appear dim but the "French banlue's" have never grabbed my attention, I have never heard of them (or it).

Can you please clarify.

5 minutes ago, rott said:

Sorry to appear dim but the "French banlue's" have never grabbed my attention, I have never heard of them (or it).

Can you please clarify.

They are ghetto's / no go zone's in France with a lot of criminal activity. 

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, Robblok is spot on in his post, there are lots of guys like him, and only right morons would try and screw him, he is giving an honest service to his customers, but banks, insurance companies, and plenty of big business are screwing ordinary people like us. I think everyone knows what I am saying.

Being screwed over by government, banks, big business and just about everyone is your lot in life for being 'ordinary' ... it just goes with the job description.  So what you are saying is that it's OK kiss their backside when you need their help but behave like them when you can get away with it.  That puts you on the same moral track as these organizations.  These organizations at least look you in the eye and are upfront about how they are shafting you.  Running away from you commitments is both dishonest and cowardly.

Everyone here seems to forget 1 thing. Look at the CC. What logo is printed in one of the corners?

Right. Visa or Mastercard. This means the issuing bank is using the Visa/Mastercard system and need their approval to give you a CC, and determine the amount of credit you will get. This ultimately means you own the money to the CC Companies and NOT the bank. They are merely an intermediary.  This can effect your creditrating severely because CC Co. are international. They WILL know about every unpaid dime. Visa USA/UK/Botswana or whatever can sue you directly for not paying your bill. In some countries direct suing is not possible BUT: unpaid debt is very often sold to obscure collecting agencies. And believe me, those companies WILL find you, wherever you are hiding on this globe. And they are not particularly friendly to get what they want.

Just my 2 cents.

12 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

You can leave the country owing money to credit cards as long as they have not started court proceedings to recover debt..

But returning to Thailand with a credit card debt that has gone legal could cause you problems the moment you arrive back as there could be a warrant out for you.

Could also be true that interest on the outstanding debt has been growing month by month.

I didn't think the OP was intending to never pay back this credit card bill. He just asked if it's going to be ok to travel with credit card bill..  it sounds like you can leave the country unless Court proceedings have been started

13 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

You can leave the country owing money to credit cards as long as they have not started court proceedings to recover debt..

But returning to Thailand with a credit card debt that has gone legal could cause you problems the moment you arrive back as there could be a warrant out for you.

I'm not familiar with Thai law like most of you lot. Logic suggests that if your credit card was obtained honestly, isn't a credit card debt a personal debt, so a civil matter? In that case neither the Police nor immigration would be involved.

If your bank has started legal proceedings to recover the CC debt, or has a Court judgement, it's still a civil debt.  How does a warrant, Police or immigration come into it?

Edited by Kalaharigeorge

14 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Credit card companies are not doing anyone a favour by issuing them with a credit card. They earn a lot of money from this. As such, they make provisions in their balance sheets for bad debts, that are rather endemic in this trade.

I ridicule the notion that not paying one's credit card bill is amoral. There are companies that don't pay hundreds of millions in debt, no one seems to give a damn about that, they call it a "default". But if an individual does it, it's suddenly an abhorrent crime.

Stupid excuses like pain in the A..!

52 minutes ago, redwinecheese said:

I stopped using credit cards long time ago and I am using advance credit card instead, it only takes minutes to deposit money in it from my linked current account. 

What do you meany by advance credit card?  Maybe a prepaid credit card.

18 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Credit card companies are not doing anyone a favour by issuing them with a credit card. They earn a lot of money from this. As such, they make provisions in their balance sheets for bad debts, that are rather endemic in this trade.

I ridicule the notion that not paying one's credit card bill is amoral. There are companies that don't pay hundreds of millions in debt, no one seems to give a damn about that, they call it a "default". But if an individual does it, it's suddenly an abhorrent crime.

Even the government of many countries yet declared bankruptcy or did not pay a cent back is it normal????

6 hours ago, robblok said:

if you don't agree with that fee then don't use it.. that is so easy. I don't like the high fees either but agree to them when taking it out. There are alternatives like others have said. But the point is if you don't like the service don't use it. You know before what you get and what you have to pay so you can't moan about it later. 

I am just giving a reason where banks stealing from us, it may be legal but it is still theft.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am just giving a reason where banks stealing from us, it may be legal but it is still theft.

Its not stealing.. they offer a service you can use or not use...  ( I have decided not to use it)

Theft is totally different you have no choice in theft.  

Edited by robblok

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its not stealing.. they offer a service you can use or not use...  ( I have decided not to use it)

Theft is totally different you have no choice in theft.  

OK, we will refer to it as just pure greed.

21 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

How does one get a CC in Thailand without putting up a bond?

Anyone with a work permit can apply for a CC.  Lots of teachers here , even on low salaries you can get a credit up to 100k baht .  I have a friend on a very low salary and the CC company gave him 50k credit.   

On 2/26/2017 at 10:42 PM, robblok said:

I doubt they would check it, when you leave the country. Morally its of course totally wrong to leave the country not paying your bills. It also makes it harder for foreigners in the future to get creditcards because of actions like this.

Unfortunately there will always be people who have absolutely no problems not paying their bills and screwing businesses over. 

Just my 2 cents. 

+1 and Spot on.... also just to confirm, that no, there is no check.