NLA to discuss impeachment process against ex-foreign minister Surapong

webfact

NLA to discuss impeachment process against ex-foreign minister

0703002Surapong.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Legislative Assembly is due on Thursday to discuss impeachment process against former foreign minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul faulted by the National Anti-Corruption Commission for wrongfully issuing a new passport for fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Thaksin’s Thai passport was revoked after he fled the country and defied his conviction by the Supreme Court’s criminal division for political office holders.

Spokesman of the NLA whips, Dr Jate Sirathranont, said that, on March 16, the NLA would hold a hearing on the impeachment case with the NACC opening the case and the accused, Surapong, making the rebuttal.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nla-discuss-impeachment-process-ex-foreign-minister/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-08

Regardless of the legality or not of the issuance of the passport do the NLA really not have better things to be doing than spending their time on matters like this, which quite frankly on the grand scale of things are fairly minor and meaningless to the general public?

Amazing the NACC has finalized a case and surprise surprise it's one against the Shinawatras. Now where are all those other cases? Police station construction etc

The whole nest of the group should be barred from any public office and any monentary dealing where public funds are involved for life. Trace and recover funds that were used for their and their cronies personal use, from public coffers and collect taxes as has been determined owed by some of the family members. Sell at auction assets to make up any shortcoming as to what is owed to the good hard working people of Thailand and let those guilty of corruption, etc live and struggle like the majority of Thai people.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

do the NLA really not have better things to be doing than spending their time on matters like this

If the strategy is to get all viable PTP leadership banned from the next election, ie., so that pro-royalist Abhisit can win against weak opposition, NLA's time spent on impeachment would be well spent from Prayut's viewpoint. This has been the pattern following coups in Thailand - all in the name of reform and justice.

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Regardless of the legality or not of the issuance of the passport do the NLA really not have better things to be doing than spending their time on matters like this, which quite frankly on the grand scale of things are fairly minor and meaningless to the general public?

Amazing the NACC has finalized a case and surprise surprise it's one against the Shinawatras. Now where are all those other cases? Police station construction etc

Nothing minor here, the guy should face justice so we never have to see this lil toad again in politics. The fact that they let the shins go on that other tax case just shows that the NACC is either non bias, or bad at its job.. or a combination of both. So many cases started almost really prosecuted with good results.. not even those of the Shins who many say are the mortal enemy of the NACC. 

I don't understand why you call it minor.. it just shows clearly what is wrong with the PTP.. they did not serve their voters, they served their master and in doing so led us to where we are now. 

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Nothing minor here, the guy should face justice so we never have to see this lil toad again in politics. The fact that they let the shins go on that other tax case just shows that the NACC is either non bias, or bad at its job.. or a combination of both. So many cases started almost really prosecuted with good results.. not even those of the Shins who many say are the mortal enemy of the NACC. 

I don't understand why you call it minor.. it just shows clearly what is wrong with the PTP.. they did not serve their voters, they served their master and in doing so led us to where we are now. 

Its minor as it has absolutely zero affect financial or any other way to you, i or any other Thai person, compared to 1000's of cases which have been stalled for years which costs Thai's billions of billions of baht.

Its just an absolutely nothing topic which has zero bearing on anything of importance.

You seem to be letting your dislike for the actual person rule your common sense.

Edited by smutcakes

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

Its minor as it has absolutely zero affect financial or any other way to you, i or any other Thai person, compared to 1000's of cases which have been stalled for years which costs Thai's billions of billions of baht.

Its just an absolutely nothing topic which has zero bearing on anything of importance.

So because it did not financially affected anyone its no problem.. its the root of all the problems breaking the law to serve the puppet master in Dubai, its a clear and easy case (sure they will bungle it agian) and can be used to make sure this guy never gets back to politics. Win win id say. 

But you and i differ on this, i feel that they should serve the people.. not their puppet master. By placing him first they got int he trouble we are in now. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

So because it did not financially affected anyone its no problem.. its the root of all the problems breaking the law to serve the puppet master in Dubai, its a clear and easy case (sure they will bungle it agian) and can be used to make sure this guy never gets back to politics. Win win id say. 

But you and i differ on this, i feel that they should serve the people.. not their puppet master. By placing him first they got int he trouble we are in now. 

No, i think the Governments should serve the people, just you think they should have no choice in who serves them, whereas i prefer they do.

6 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

You seem to be letting your dislike for the actual person rule your common sense.

So money is the decider,  just forget about the abuse of the democratic system? I see nothing wrong with disliking someone who abused his position to benefit the career criminal that put him there, for exactly that purpose.

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

So money is the decider,  just forget about the abuse of the democratic system? I see nothing wrong with disliking someone who abused his position to benefit the career criminal that put him there, for exactly that purpose.

I am saying there are far more important and long standing cases on the NACC and NLA's table which seem to have died a death which would serve the Thai state far better in getting resolved than someone who gave someone a passport. 

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I am saying there are far more important and long standing cases on the NACC and NLA's table which seem to have died a death which would serve the Thai state far better in getting resolved than someone who gave someone a passport. 

While I am saying that the country will never have a real democracy if elected politicians are allowed to abuse their position without repercussion. I have no lament for the overthrow of what was called democracy under the Shinawatras, and rejoice every time a prosecution of them and/or their criminal cronies is announced.

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

No, i think the Governments should serve the people, just you think they should have no choice in who serves them, whereas i prefer they do.

Ah so you think the government should serve the people.. but here they clearly did not.. and brought us to where we are now (amnesty included) because they served their master but its ok even though you think they had to serve the people. Ok I understand (not)

I feel like you that the people should be able to select who serves them. but only when they serve the people first and not themselves or their leader what is clearly the case here. So if they system is not working.. then i prefer indeed that the people cant select them, because the system is already broken. Just like this and the amnesty shows.

3 minutes ago, halloween said:

While I am saying that the country will never have a real democracy if elected politicians are allowed to abuse their position without repercussion. I have no lament for the overthrow of what was called democracy under the Shinawatras, and rejoice every time a prosecution of them and/or their criminal cronies is announced.

Indeed.. this is the same point I am making.. as long as politicians abuse power so much there will never be a real democracy so its real important to punish them when they do. Then maybe in time you get good politicians and a working democracy.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Ah so you think the government should serve the people.. but here they clearly did not.. and brought us to where we are now (amnesty included) because they served their master but its ok even though you think they had to serve the people. Ok I understand (not)

I feel like you that the people should be able to select who serves them. but only when they serve the people first and not themselves or their leader what is clearly the case here. So if they system is not working.. then i prefer indeed that the people cant select them, because the system is already broken. Just like this and the amnesty shows.

Rob, every critical point you make about the PTP could be turned on every other Government in Thai history as well as the current one.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Indeed.. this is the same point I am making.. as long as politicians abuse power so much there will never be a real democracy so its real important to punish them when they do. Then maybe in time you get good politicians and a working democracy.

But its okay if some politicians abuse power, just not if its certain ones. Its okay if the army abuse power to, but only politicians with the PTP are not allowed. everybody else it is okay?

Is that what you are saying?

10 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Rob, every critical point you make about the PTP could be turned on every other Government in Thai history as well as the current one.

It was the PTP in power for most of the time recently, but you are right that is why there was never a functioning democracy here and why there is so much fighting. Because once someone is elected its like an invitation to enrich him / herself and to break all the rules and bully people who come out with your corruption using defamation laws. 

But the PTP was especially bad as they have an armed wing that has killed many people and played a large part in the deaths of the anti goverment protesters and their own when they opened fire on the army. Other parties don't have a armed wing without oversight.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

It was the PTP in power for most of the time recently, but you are right that is why there was never a functioning democracy here and why there is so much fighting. Because once someone is elected its like an invitation to enrich him / herself and to break all the rules and bully people who come out with your corruption using defamation laws. 

But the PTP was especially bad as they have an armed wing that has killed many people and played a large part in the deaths of the anti goverment protesters and their own when they opened fire on the army. Other parties don't have a armed wing without oversight.

Other parties dont keep having their elected Government overthrown by alliances of military and political rivals. I think it is fair to say all of these political parties (army included) have armed persons and those willing to cause violence within their ranks if deemed necessary.

Just now, smutcakes said:

Other parties dont keep having their elected Government overthrown by alliances of military and political rivals. I think it is fair to say all of these political parties (army included) have armed persons and those willing to cause violence within their ranks if deemed necessary.

I don't agree with that statement at all, it clearly shows PTP is the most violent.. blood on Abisith.. threatening judges... having their own men in black.. killing children of anti government protesters.. no other party gets even close. 

That you even try to deny this is something I can't comprehend. Comparing the army with a shadowy army of mercenaries whos identities are unknown and kill for their leader is a bit over the top. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't agree with that statement at all, it clearly shows PTP is the most violent.. blood on Abisith.. threatening judges... having their own men in black.. killing children of anti government protesters.. no other party gets even close. 

That you even try to deny this is something I can't comprehend. Comparing the army with a shadowy army of mercenaries whos identities are unknown and kill for their leader is a bit over the top. 

Of course not, but the army always give them what they want, and many would argue much of it is planned in advance between the two anyway.

8 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Of course not, but the army always give them what they want, and many would argue much of it is planned in advance between the two anyway.

Ok then we are in agreement the PTP is the most violent of them all. 

I am in agreement that all the democratic governments in the past were all trying to enrich themselves and not really work for the people. The whole democratic system is a total failure here. 

3 hours ago, halloween said:

Incredibly hypocritical that you approve of the prosecution of an elected politician who you say abused the democratic system, by a junta  who abused the democratic system by grabbing power. I know what looks worst in my eyes.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Am I missing something here? How can you impeach a "former" Minister? He has gone already, hence a complete waste of time and energy.

Probably. Here resignation, even removal, doesn't stop examination of your actions while in office.

It's not the same at home, but does that make it wrong?

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

Probably. Here resignation, even removal, doesn't stop examination of your actions while in office.

It's not the same at home, but does that make it wrong?

If convicted he also can't be in politics anymore.. and that is a good thing who wants an politician like that who is known to serve the man in dubai before the public in power. I can only think the guy in Dubai would want that. 

20 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Incredibly hypocritical that you approve of the prosecution of an elected politician who you say abused the democratic system, by a junta  who abused the democratic system by grabbing power. I know what looks worst in my eyes.

And I think the greater hypocrisy is claiming that our former government was anything other than a democratic facade for a criminal conspiracy.

11 minutes ago, halloween said:

And I think the greater hypocrisy is claiming that our former government was anything other than a democratic facade for a criminal conspiracy.

But you have to bear in mind that what we have now, is an undemocratic facade for a criminal conspiracy. I'm not sure I can be convinced, that this is much of an improvement.