My pickup is at the smash repair

A 14yr old teenager ran up the back of my pickup. The police said it was 1/2 my fault and my insurance company will pay my damage and the unsub. 

My pickup has been at the smash repairs for 2 to 3 weeks. Ive been making regular trips to checkup on it. Because this is amazing thailand and knowing that anything is possible I worry that these guys might swap my nice new engine or other parts and replace with something older. Maybe Im being paranoid but I did take photos and left a note in Thai telling them subtly that I have done so. 

I went around again yesterday and they have totally disconnected everything. The back cabin has been separated from the main part of the pickup. They said they had to do this to fit it in the spraying room. Do you think this is normal. 

I checked under the hood and it seems that all is ok. I worry as the bosses of the business are never around. There are numerous workers sitting around drinking every afternoon and my nice new pickup is there. Hopefully it will all work out. 

cheers for your opin

Is your pickup in a third party garage or a showroom garage? 

If it's in a showroom garage, then everything will be fine.. Don't worry about it.. 

If it is in a Third Party Garage, then your insurer would have picked a company that is reliable.. So don't fret as well.. Most garages don't have a spray room that is big enough to fit a whole car, so taking off piece that require painting only is common, as per my experience. 

46 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

Maybe Im being paranoid

Yes. :biggrin:

47 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

I did take photos

Good idea. :thumbsup:

47 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

They said they had to do this to fit it in the spraying room. Do you think this is normal. 

I think " fit " is a misunderstanding, I would seperate the truck rear too saves a lot of masking up. :thumbsup:

You've pissed them off looking under the bonnet etc taking pictures and leaving a note so now they are taking your vehicle apart even if it didn't need it to prolong the process of course maybe it did have to be done ,upload the pictures here so we can see the damage

4 hours ago, wprime said:

How did this end up as your fault?

Probably the teenager had no insurance...so saying it was the OP's fault, they can get their bike repaired under the OP's insurance. I now it sucks....it seems in this country they will do this - those with the most money / insurance, end up paying for the poor's mistakes. Perhaps not all the time, but I've seen this more than once. 

On 3/14/2017 at 10:24 AM, patyh said:

If it's in a showroom garage, then everything will be fine.. Don't worry about it.. 

From his description I doubt if it is a showroom garage. It looks more like a "bottoms up" joint to me. The pictures are a good idea. Just be careful that you do not get rear ended twice. If the accident was deemed 1/2 your fault would be interested in knowing why. The clue being the driver that hit you was only 14. Just reinforces my feelings about not owning a car here. In an accident here your guilty till proven innocent especially if your a foreigner. Its kind of a double edged sword. 

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

those with the most money / insurance, end up paying for the poor's mistakes.

I thinks pertains to foreigners only. The local rich elite don't pay for much and seem to pass the buck. The buck never seems to stop with them. 

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

I thinks pertains to foreigners only. The local rich elite don't pay for much and seem to pass the buck. The buck never seems to stop with them. 

Not so, I could tell you a story but dare not, no farang involved..

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Probably the teenager had no insurance...so saying it was the OP's fault, they can get their bike repaired under the OP's insurance. I now it sucks....it seems in this country they will do this - those with the most money / insurance, end up paying for the poor's mistakes. Perhaps not all the time, but I've seen this more than once. 

I agree. I have heard this more than once.

"Right, who's got insurance? You have? Great, just sign here admitting liability and everyone can get their vehicle fixed and medical bills paid under your insurance. Sorted."

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

You forgot to mention that at 14 he cannot be fined or held accountable according to the Penal Codes, plus he wasn't old enough to hold a valid licence either.

When the OP gets his Insurance renewal notice, he'll find the true cost was more than he bargained for.

1 minute ago, transam said:

To those who know me it has.....Seems you don't, that's OK....You can move on..:smile:

Really? I see someone said they'd be interested in hearing the story, but I don't see any responses that say they know exactly what you're talking about. If you can't spill the beans it's pretty pointless saying anything IMO. Now I'll move on.

Just now, giddyup said:

Really? I see someone said they'd be interested in hearing the story, but I don't see any responses that say they know exactly what you're talking about. If you can't spill the beans it's pretty pointless saying anything IMO. Now I'll move on.

Good idea you moved on....Do you have access to my PM box....?

Thai repair shops take 5 times as long to repair cars as any Western Body Shop because the longer they drag it out the more they are paid where just the opposite is true in America or Europe. In addition, everything is done by hand. Watch out for the quality- very poor in Thailand. 

6 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Thai repair shops take 5 times as long to repair cars as any Western Body Shop because the longer they drag it out the more they are paid where just the opposite is true in America or Europe. In addition, everything is done by hand. Watch out for the quality- very poor in Thailand. 

I don't think that is quite true.......The Toyota repair shop in my town has one of the best equipped I have ever seen...Even has 3 spray booths, chassis jigs, the lot...

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I agree. I have heard this more than once.

"Right, who's got insurance? You have? Great, just sign here admitting liability and everyone can get their vehicle fixed and medical bills paid under your insurance. Sorted."

Almost got caught like this but I refused to sign anything before discussing with my insurance agent after a m/c, ridden by a teenage girl, going the wrong way hit the front of my parked car. Cut the story short, the agent told the parent(s) of the girl that they would pay for bike repairs under the standard 'you must must pay the first 1,000 Baht' The girls mother refused. As far as I'm aware that was that...but one always has that 'nagging feeling'

The same lot who bleat about everything unfair unfair,get in the same mess as Visa Prob idiots, Just get Insured correctly, shut up, dont talk to anyone much and You get treated perfectly well Ferang or not. Perhaps that was TAs hint.  Half the time Ferangs say Brother in Law Said, no wonder they get probs.

23 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

In an accident here your guilty till proven innocent especially if your a foreigner. Its kind of a double edged sword. 

People who know better really should stop promulgating this nonsense.