rooster59

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

Boggle the minds and defy beliefs... hope this guy has full insurance

to cover losses, however, no amount of insurance will pay for a dead

brains the contactor is suffering from...

Insurance here doesn't pay much.

22 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Health and Safety is a term not translated into Thai it would seem. The idea of Health and Safety is someone wearing a hard hat on a building site, still in flip flops and shorts.  Anyone who has been here long enough knows that the total lack of planning and forward thinking is virtually non existent. I remember so many Thai companies went for the ISO 9002 quality standard. Hardly any achieved it as the health and safety was still back in the 18th century.

and i know some that "paid" and got it

21 hours ago, KhunOr said:

Same thing happened to me inside Chiang Mai about eight years ago. Driving along an unlit road late at night and suddenly the car took off and CRUNCH. The road had been dug out for a four metre stretch to a depth of one metre. No lights, no 'road works' warning signs. When the insurance company contacted the contractors they said that the driver probably should have been wearing glasses and they denied any culpability!

what was the final outcome? or do insurers here just roll over and payout and give up?

1 hour ago, kannot said:

what was the final outcome? or do insurers here just roll over and payout and give up?

Always had first class insurance and it 'pays' to have it driving in Thailand. Yes, after inspection of car and crash site, they paid for all repairs and as far as I know did not go after the contractor.

The drivers probably didn't see the twig stuck in the storm drain because it was dark.

If only they had tied an old white plastic bag to the top of the twig it would be up to international standards,and none of this would of happened. :lol:

On 3/18/2017 at 8:25 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Why did Thai rath injure the four people..............:sorry:

Just what I thought. A like would of sufficed but when I click like  I get ' The item you are looking for cannot be found '   Is it gremlins in the works or has a BiB been sent to an inactive post on TV ? 

8 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Just what I thought. A like would of sufficed but when I click like  I get ' The item you are looking for cannot be found '   Is it gremlins in the works or has a BiB been sent to an inactive post on TV ? 

I am getting exactly the same thing this morning............Gremlins for sure......

Image result for cartoons of gremlins

22 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

You simply cannot make such stories up ......... and then pursue through the civil courts of the land. Gross negligence is the least this "professional" contractor, who did win the bid against all even less professional clowns - right. 

My suggestion to the three parties which got their cars damaged (most likely beyond repair in any other but the lala country) and people hurt = sue everybody involved, i.e. contractor, those who appointed the contractor, the department of highways, the ministry of unfinished bridges, the ministry of interior idiocy - just everybody.

This absolute negligence has to stop and that works only if it goes through the wallets ! 

At least in this inst The Ministry for silly sidewalks can't be blamed.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

You've never driven in China, then.  Or any one of dozens of other countries.

Yeah... I live in China. Last year they did some road works/widening that resulted in a large, concrete utility pole standing in the road at an intersection... 20' (6 m) out from the curb. There were no: lights, barriers or reflective tape placed on or around it. Guess what happened the first night...

3 minutes ago, cruisemonkey said:

Yeah... I live in China. Last year they did some road works/widening that resulted in a large, concrete utility pole standing in the road at an intersection... 20' (6 m) out from the curb. There were no: lights, barriers or reflective tape placed on or around it. Guess what happened the first night...

Betcha it wasn't good...

Edit:  Not exactly traffic related, but my favorites were the guy wires at neck level on the sidewalks.

Edited by impulse

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Traffic nightmares or Thai bashing?

The answers are no, and no.

Thai Bashing!  Put it this way it is difficult to imagine this happening in any other country, and Thai roads are the second most dangerous in the world.  Anyone with any experience of Thailand would say this has the Thai DNA stamped all over it.  It's just incredible.

On 3/18/2017 at 4:46 AM, berybert said:

'Following the destruction the department of rural roads rushed to put some emergency lights in and order the contractor to take more safety precautions. They suggested signage and warning lights.'

To which they probably  replied, 'OK wait until morning when its light, we'll sort it then'.

'Suggested!'  Surely it would be a requirement of the contract and/or a standard requirement / rule for this type of work situation.

Or is this just poor reporting?

On 3/18/2017 at 5:54 AM, ezzra said:

Boggle the minds and defy beliefs... hope this guy has full insurance

to cover losses, however, no amount of insurance will pay for a dead

brains the contactor is suffering from...

And I suggest there's no more than a 50/50 chance he does have any insurance and if he does have it then there's the possibility it's not paid up to date.

10 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Thai Bashing!  Put it this way it is difficult to imagine this happening in any other country, and Thai roads are the second most dangerous in the world.  Anyone with any experience of Thailand would say this has the Thai DNA stamped all over it.  It's just incredible.

I'm certainly not going to change your mind if it's already made up.  But I lived in China for 10 years and in Thailand for 6.  Traffic (and road design) in Thailand is a breath of fresh air compared to China- especially outside the major cities.  I actually drive here- which I refused to do in China.

And with respect to "the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world", I have no doubt that could be true.  But I can show mathematically that US and UK roads would have even more fatalities per km if 80% of the vehicles on the road were scooters.  Our governments, of course, would never let that happen- because scooters are a lifestyle choice back home.  Here, they're an economic necessity.  If traffic fatalities got that high, the governments back home would figure out a way to curtail their use through taxes, or licensing or outright banning them.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

And with respect to "the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world", I have no doubt that could be true.  But I can show mathematically that US and UK roads would have even more fatalities per km if 80% of the vehicles on the road were scooters.

Please do.

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm certainly not going to change your mind if it's already made up.  But I lived in China for 10 years and in Thailand for 6.  Traffic (and road design) in Thailand is a breath of fresh air compared to China- especially outside the major cities.  I actually drive here- which I refused to do in China.

And with respect to "the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world", I have no doubt that could be true.  But I can show mathematically that US and UK roads would have even more fatalities per km if 80% of the vehicles on the road were scooters.  Our governments, of course, would never let that happen- because scooters are a lifestyle choice back home.  Here, they're an economic necessity.  If traffic fatalities got that high, the governments back home would figure out a way to curtail their use through taxes, or licensing or outright banning them.

I think it's more the almost 'madcap' nature of the story.  What I mean is that this could almost have come out of a movie- Dumb and Dumber.  In this way it is uniquely Thai.

Yes I dare say crazy things happen in China too, and quite possibly many other countries.  In fact while I was back in UK there was a story about a nothern university that had been found guilty of negligence pertaining to 2 volunteers in a caffeine trial.  They were given 100 times the planned dose, equivalent to 300 cups of coffee as I remember.  The calculation was done on a mobile phone!!!

7 minutes ago, berybert said:

Please do.

Use the search function.  I posted the math a couple of years back.  Took me an hour or so to look up the data I needed so I'm not especially inclined to spend my day off doing it again.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Use the search function.  I posted the math a couple of years back.  Took me an hour or so to look up the data I needed so I'm not especially inclined to spend my day off doing it again.

No I wont bother. Maybe you can prove that 80% of Thailand vehicles are scooters. That should be easy.