Thailand to implement Alcohol sale stores following Scandinavian concept.

rooster59

And what about bars and restaurants? There are countless little privately operated restaurants selling beer out of the fridge. This sounds like a recipe for disaster and a potential financial win for the impeccable (i,e corrupt free) government.

Another nail in the coffin for Thai tourism I think which is already suffering.. just how many crutches do they want to give the struggling Thai economy. If they want to tackle alcohol related crime then do so and spend the money on state funded government schemes for assistance on getting off the booze, not opening shops selling booze! 

2 people I know, both long term Thai residents (plus 10 years) left this month. 1 back to his home country, the other Spain. The reason for leaving? They said the countries going to sh*t and isn't what it once was. 

I am stuck right now, too many commitments but I am working towards getting out of this madhouse asap....

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took the bait and asked a few Thai friends in Bkk and Issan. They know nothing about this and seems like they would know if this is true or if this had any chance. Given that the mom and pop stores in Issan sell alcohol 24/7 I cannot see Issan allowing this to happen. 

2 minutes ago, grantbkk said:

My goodness!  What's next?  Submarines?  If this was not April 1st there would be a 50-50 chance of one of these stories to be real.

That would of made a good one.   ' Submarines to be delivered in leak proof bags '

The comments on this thread, as well as the Songkran ban thread goes to prove that what the Government actually needs to do is issue a free calendar to all elderly expats and quite possibly reading glasses as well so they can work out what today's date is :)

1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

Alberta had this system in the 80's. Maybe still has..

Yes Alberta still have the same regulations about purchasing liquors and beer and wine only few stores are selling and they carry a good variety of all kind any way from Calgary  any how since I was there last year.

Some states in the US had this system and it was total failure so they went back to a market system. Choices had gone down prices went up, tourism killed, surly staff. You name it. Now the brilliant junta gang wants to reinvent the wheel. It's a tax scam pure and simple that just ends up the little guy. A fool's errand!

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

More chance of catching the Abbot and the Red Bull fugitive. It is beyond me that the authorities go public with these hair brain schemes and announcements without any diligence or thought! The Great Thailand Prohibition!

What amazes me even more is that some Thai visa members would publicly show their obvious lack of brains.

Great idea! they should also designate days when you are allowed to shop, the 1st of the month would be a good day for farangs as they would have their pension money in pocket!

Like any other State owned alcohol outlet, the prices will go up considerably.

We have to buy our beverages at home, before we travel within the country??? Stay in a resort away from home, and not be able to have drinks with dinner in a restaurant???That is not going to fly.

5 hours ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Going after the private business sectors profits and ensuring the tax collection. Didn't they talk about state run grocery stores coming awhile back?
What's the political name for a society where the state operates all the enterprises like gas,electricity,water,transportation etc.?

North Korea

We have these in Canada ... one of the other happiest countries.  What it means, as you no doubt have guessed, is limited selection and higher prices.  Admired they have made modest attempts to free things up a bit. It may surprise you to know that Canada still has alcohol abuse. The only people that benefit are the government.  It always amuses me that government thinks they own the store (country) when in fact we only have only given them them permission to mind the store for us on a temporary basis.  The hubris is infuriating.

3 hours ago, MartinL said:

In the late 1970s, I visited a friend in Bombay (as it was then). He told me that, in order to buy alcohol, it was necessary to be registered as an alcoholic. Since he and his family were muslim and I had far better things to do than go on the booze on an 'exotic' holiday, it wasn't an issue. I've often wondered whether or not he was pulling my leg.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of something similar in Thailand - or is this another April Fools 'joke'? 

EDIT - If true, this could be the death knell for the likes of 'Wishbeer' who deliver to your door.

Gujarat is, I believe, the only state in India that still has this booze restriction. This is due to it being Gandhi's home state. Have visited there many times for work purposes (Vadodara / Ahmedabad) and there are no bars in any of the hotels. A few of the bigger hotels have booze shops and, yes, you need paperwork to buy liquor there. Some restrictions were lifted in 2006 (for conferences/seminars) and 2014 (the lifting of notification of the licence holder as a 'drunkard'!!), 

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/easier-for-outsiders-to-get-liquor-than-locals-in-gujarat-prohibition-law-4465550/

However, just as proof that prohibition just does not work. It is believed that the state has the highest per capita sales of booze in India as any family that has liquor drinkers keeps a supply hidden in their home. As a result bootleggers abound as well as sales of home-made hooch which has caused many deaths due to poor production methods.

Hopefully this 'article' doesn't give the government here any ideas.:smile:  

Be aware of today's date

Doubt is a joke, why?

It's just not silly enough to be considered April fools news.

April fools needs to be so silly that it's a relief that it's not true

This is just following in the steps of first world

The thai government had already started a war on alcohol sales and this is just the next logical step.. Hardly worthy of an April fool prank

5 hours ago, Songhua said:

That sounds fair. The authorities are obviously aware that Thais are more able to handle their liquor.

If handle means sticking your car into a  ditch on its roof  then ...yes

Rooster59 -

you are being naughty and may be responsible for several heart attacks across the country. 

However since it has been announced , today  ,  that  Farangs are henceforth being covered under the 10 Baht medical plan ,

you are forgiven.