Conscript ‘beaten to death’ at southern military base

rooster59

Conscript ‘beaten to death’ at southern military base

By The Nation

f9f73e068d3639d1be3b0b22eb9d9b52.jpeg

An Army conscript has been beaten to death at Vibhavadi Rangsit Military Base in Surat Thani after violating military rules, it was reported in the social media on Saturday.

Private Yuthinan Boonniam was hospitalised with a swollen face and bruises before his death early on Saturday.

Facebook user “Bom Lung Lang” shared his pictures, with a caption saying that the young man was imprisoned in military jail for violating military rules and that he was severely beaten.

It was further reported that Yuthinan seriously suffered from injuries of his internal organs. The medical team performed cardiac resuscitation four times but failed to save his life. He passed away at 5 am on Saturday.

Yuthinan was not the first serving conscript to be beaten to death. In April last year, Private Songtham Mudmad was beaten to death at a military base in Yala’s Bannang Sata district. In 2011, Private Wichian Phuaksom was tortured to death at a training camp in Narathiwat.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30311042

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-01

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what is it with these mucho "men" having to gang up and beat others to death, any other country and those responsible/in charge of these units would be had up for the deaths but here they just get a slap on the wrist.  

23 minutes ago, seajae said:

what is it with these mucho "men" having to gang up and beat others to death, any other country and those responsible/in charge of these units would be had up for the deaths but here they just get a slap on the wrist.  

With respect, you seem happy enough with them running the country. Do you think 'upstairs' is any different in their attitudes? 

1 hour ago, baboon said:

With respect, you seem happy enough with them running the country. Do you think 'upstairs' is any different in their attitudes? 

I dont like the ptp/reds/thaksin, doesnt mean I agree with everything the junta do, some good some bad but this is at the working level, not running the country. Nice dig but as usual you are totally wrong

32 minutes ago, seajae said:

I dont like the ptp/reds/thaksin, doesnt mean I agree with everything the junta do, some good some bad but this is at the working level, not running the country. Nice dig but as usual you are totally wrong

But you must be all for the military higher ups being charged for dereliction of duty leading to the deaths of underlings, leading to impeachment and jail? Those at the top who may not have actually been there are just as responsible, correct?

40 minutes ago, baboon said:

But you must be all for the military higher ups being charged for dereliction of duty leading to the deaths of underlings, leading to impeachment and jail? Those at the top who may not have actually been there are just as responsible, correct?

Well there is a first for everything, I had to like your post. And, well bugger me, I agree with you. Within any part of the state mechanism responsibility rests with those in charge. However I suspect the once again only those (or perhaps none) who commited this act will be punished. Let alone those who created or perpetuate the system of abuse.

Edited by BigBadGeordie
Typo

The third such death in what the media euphemistically refers to as the "restive " South.

Are they refusing to march, to go up the line, .......to go over the top?

Is this decimation?

Edited by Enoon

One wonders what the infraction was. I wonder if he just told his commanding officer what he was an incompetent nitwit? That might be grounds for getting beaten to death.

One would hold out hope that the officer involved would be held responsible, but in the history of this country, the army has hardly ever been held responsible for it's crimes. One has to assume with the tiny man and his overlords making the ultimate decisions, that no harm will come to the murderous officer. That is a fairly safe presumption. No balance of power here. The army does as it pleases. Regardless of the consequences.

Little P. - Moving Thailand backwards at an alarming and astonishing pace. 

Cover up or court martials?  I go with cover up and  wrist slaps as the behaviour reflects the arrogance throughout the ranks. Thousands of generals, all more set important than the other. 

The NCO corps is vital to operational cohesion. When we see failures in the NCO corps, it reflects on the discipline, respect for duty  and operational abilities of the  army.  Perhaps one of the very important generals can waddle over to the NCO mess and remind the idiots of their responsibilities.

5 hours ago, Enoon said:

The third such death in what the media euphemistically refers to as the "restive " South.

Are they refusing to march, to go up the line, .......to go over the top?

Is this decimation?

Every tenth person in the unit would probable amount to quite a few more, but I applaud your thinking.

55 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

While I understand and agree with the sentiment of your post, I don't think animals would do this.

This was an all too human incident carried out by cowards.

...and sadistic bastards! Sickening.

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

If anyone looks like being in trouble, I am sure the official report will become, "He cut himself shaving and fell down the stairs on the way to the temple."

Don't put ideas in their heads. 

You can kill a living being, but you can't kill the immortal soul. We are in a culture where Karma is something you can't run away from, still Thai people at almost all levels don't seem to care about lives. If Karma is for real I can understand all the suffering.

11 hours ago, baboon said:

it is the commanding officer at the unit where it happened that is responsible as they control what happens within their command, there are general orders concerning all officers etc, if the officers break those then they are the ones that need to be reprimanded. The only time it would go higher was if general orders allowed this sort of thing to happen but you will find it is the way the individual commanding officers screw it up with their idiotic thinking.

8 minutes ago, seajae said:

it is the commanding officer at the unit where it happened that is responsible as they control what happens within their command, there are general orders concerning all officers etc, if the officers break those then they are the ones that need to be reprimanded. The only time it would go higher was if general orders allowed this sort of thing to happen but you will find it is the way the individual commanding officers screw it up with their idiotic thinking.

You can't have it both ways. If the NCPO, aka 'The Army' are out there impeaching for dereliction of duty and talking about the collective guilt of others, then the same principle applies to them, or at least it should in the interests of the transparency they also like to pontificate about.

14 hours ago, baboon said:

Do you think the BiB or any other institution here is any different? The prevalent all pervading attitude seems to be that as long as you do it to someone you perceive to be lower class, unconnected, not wealthy and not hiso then you can do pretty much what you want. Politicians have the same attitude too.

Edited by Baerboxer

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you think the BiB or any other institution here is any different? 

They aren't running the country and sermonizing about corruption and obeying the law. The army is. Aren't you for legal proceedings that could lead to impeachment at the very top for gross dereliction of duty?