Couple in car slammed for goading elephant in Khao Yai National Park

webfact

Couple in car slammed for goading elephant in Khao Yai National Park
By The Nation

a15df598613c4ed1bdaf78b52b65fade.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- A reckless Thai couple tried to provoke a wild elephant to chase after their car while driving on a road that cut through the Khao Yai National Park, prompting other vehicles in the oncoming lanes to reverse in fear of their safety.

The incident was shown on video footage posted online on Monday by a popular Thai-based page “Yak Dang Diew Jadhai V4” (https://www.facebook.com/togetherisone/). 

The page criticised the couple’s behaviour as irresponsible, saying it put themselves and other motorists in danger, as well as the elephant.

“If you are stomped on by the elephant, don’t come crying,” the page commented.

The male driver is seen shouting to provoke the elephant and is heard saying “how can it (the elephant) be faster than my Camry (Toyota car)”, while his female companion takes the video clips and tells him to drive on. 

The footage was then posted on their Facebook page, which is now closed following criticism of their provocation of an animal.

Elephants and other wildlife in this vast national park, which spans Nakhon Ratchasima and Prachin Buri, have been disturbed by the increasing number of vehicles and tourists using the park’s roads over the past decade.

There have been many incidents of animals showing their alarm and justified anger at noisy motorists.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311161

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-03

16 minutes ago, lazygourmet said:

Seeing more and more of these <deleted> on a weekend basis... And I am living in Na Dee, south of Khao Yai ; not around Pak Chong ghetto!

Is Pak Chong a farang ghetto now?  Only been once several years ago, to a Wat up on the hill overlooking town.  Then we left.

27 minutes ago, lazygourmet said:

Seeing more and more of these <deleted> on a weekend basis... And I am living in Na Dee, south of Khao Yai ; not around Pak Chong ghetto!

Really? I go to Khao Yai a lot, and I would say this kind of behavior is very rare 

Police to be asked to look for a tourist who provoked an elephant in Khao Yai

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37U7DeSIKmYDZb0lYzxGiVlV

PRACHINBURI: -- The Khao Yai national park will ask the police to look for a tourist who was seen in a widely-shared video footage in the social media provoking a male elephant.

Mr Kanchit Nopsrisuwan, the park chief, said Monday that the video clip which was taken by the tourist himself would be shown to the police by his officials when the lodge a complaint with the police against the unidentified tourist.

He said that yelling and shouting at the elephant in an apparent attempt to provoke the animal would compromise the safety of the other tourists.

A veterinarian attached to the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation, Mr Pattharaphol Manee-on, said that the tourist in question might be ignorant or clamorous.

He noted that yelling or shouting could irrigate an elephant, resulting to a sudden change of behavior.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-asked-look-tourist-provoked-elephant-khao-yai/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-04

A tourist? Lets be a bit more precise here........

BANGKOK: -- A reckless Thai couple tried to provoke a wild elephant to chase after their car while driving on a road that cut through the Khao Yai National Park, prompting other vehicles in the oncoming lanes to reverse in fear of their safety.

..said that the tourist in question might be ignorant or clamorous

Clamorous?  Is that an illness?, a fault in one's character?  Weird choice of word - maybe it is just the translation.

We were false charged by an elephant in that park about 5 years ago. 

Scared the hell out of us and we took off, fast. 
Later, we were talking to a park ranger and told him about it. 
He said, yes, there's one elephant there that doesn't like cars or trucks and sometimes does that. 

He said, he hadn't killed anyone but has flipped over a few cars. 

I wonder if it was the same elephant. 

38 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Clamorous?  Is that an illness?, a fault in one's character?  Weird choice of word - maybe it is just the translation.

Well, you caught "clamorous", why not this one too? (Clamorous = noisy)

"He noted that yelling or shouting could irrigate an elephant,......"

Verbal irrigation?

15 hours ago, webfact said:

The footage was then posted on their Facebook page, which is now closed following criticism of their provocation of an animal.

Ah, that FB thing again. 

Incredible how the many idiots that populate that place like to display their stupidity like a badge of honour. 

Chasing ''likes" and trying to be the next big video. 

15 hours ago, webfact said:

A reckless Thai couple

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A veterinarian attached to the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation, Mr Pattharaphol Manee-on, said that the tourist in question might be ignorant or clamorous.

Even a veterinarian couldn't cure their ignorance.......but hope he at least wrote a prescription for Ritalin. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, webfact said:

said that the tourist in question might be ignorant or clamorous

I guess the opportunity was too good to worry about grammar etc, but surely it should have been ignorant AND clamorous....

always taught my kids not to use big words unless they know the meaning....

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He noted that yelling or shouting could irrigate an elephant, resulting to a sudden change of behavior.

My behaviour would certainly change if you irrigated me!

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

A tourist? Lets be a bit more precise here........

There have been several times when a provoked elephant has crushed the hood of a car.Too bad that did not happen to these axs holes.

A Thai bashing post as well as replies have been removed from this thread.

As one of the removed replies said "I ask that you consider the  large number of Thais who expressed disgust and dismay and who have demanded  action. Is that not Thai mentality too?"

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Police to be asked to look for a tourist who provoked an elephant in Khao Yai

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37U7DeSIKmYDZb0lYzxGiVlV

PRACHINBURI: -- The Khao Yai national park will ask the police to look for a tourist who was seen in a widely-shared video footage in the social media provoking a male elephant.

Mr Kanchit Nopsrisuwan, the park chief, said Monday that the video clip which was taken by the tourist himself would be shown to the police by his officials when the lodge a complaint with the police against the unidentified tourist.

He said that yelling and shouting at the elephant in an apparent attempt to provoke the animal would compromise the safety of the other tourists.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-asked-look-tourist-provoked-elephant-khao-yai/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-04

He noted that yelling or shouting could ***irrigate*** an elephant, resulting to a sudden change of behavior.

(copied from the last paragraph above)    (TYPO)

I agree that 'Irrigating" the elephant could change it's behaviour......... LOL

15 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Well, you caught "clamorous", why not this one too? (Clamorous = noisy)

"He noted that yelling or shouting could irrigate an elephant,......"

Verbal irrigation?

= Don't take the Pi** out of elephant?

What annoys me the most is, when humans f*** up, it's usually (always?) the animal that pays the ultimate price. 

Some clown trying to act cool in front of his companion. 

Leave them alone and just drive on! 

Edited by djayz