Video: Pick-up refuses to stop after motorcyclist ends up in the ditch

webfact

Video: Pick-up refuses to stop after motorcyclist ends up in the ditch

5pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

BANGKOK: -- A video on Youlike showed a pick-up truck crossing an intersection apparently oblivious to an approaching motorcycle, reported Manager.

The motorcyclist was unable to brake in time and veered to the left narrowly avoiding the pick-up but ending up in the roadside ditch.

Manager said that the driver of the pick-up fled the scene in the direction of the mosque. The driver had emerged from the Don Kroi housing estate.

The motorcyclist was injured and taken to hospital.

The pick up's plates were บร (bor ror) 605, province unknown.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-07

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Did the bike rider forget give way to the right? 

Stop sign for truck. And otherwise it's give way to your left!

ps. It appears that the mc driver was in the truck driver's blind spot behind the window pillar. 

Come on fellows! Yes the pickup driver might be at fault (but bear in mind also that weird rule in Thailand regarding the 30° each way zone of responsibility) but at the same time the motorcyclist doesn't seem to alter his speed one iota even when he is in very close proximity to the pickup. At least he should have slowed down.

Drivers in Thailand very rarely read the road and anticipate events which probably comes from abysmally low driver training standards.

38 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Stop sign for truck. And otherwise it's give way to your left!

ps. It appears that the mc driver was in the truck driver's blind spot behind the window pillar. 

What stop sign, and what give way to the left?

59 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Did the bike rider forget give way to the right? 

bike was on the main road, the truck came out of a village access road, main road has right of way

Technically the bike had right of way etc but what I dont understand is why the rider appears to make no attempt to brake whatsoever?

He would have seen that pick-up aways off, was he not paying attention or just no brakes ? Looked like he didnt even slow down.

No excuse for the driver of the pick-up though.

3 hours ago, tagalong said:

Thai way.........Not me / mine ! ...I do not care.......I notice Thais do not stop to help in accidents....Fantastic, Thais prefer to protect dogs before their own people........:shock1:....

You got that wrong seen many Thais offering assistance. Assistance was offered to me when I went down a few years ago a trucker blocked the lane behind me until I got up and moved bike. He also got out of the truck and asked me if I was ok.

Edited by moe666
additional info

35 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Technically the bike had right of way etc but what I dont understand is why the rider appears to make no attempt to brake whatsoever?

He would have seen that pick-up aways off, was he not paying attention or just no brakes ? Looked like he didnt even slow down.

The bike also went the wrong way, he should have gone to his right, he would almost certainly have missed the rear of the truck, going left pretty well guaranteed an incident.

EDIT If something crosses in front of you head for where it came from, it's unlikely to go back that way.

It's very clear to me that the truck was crossing slowly and , had both vehicles maintained their same speed, the bike would have passed in front of the truck with a bit of time to spare.

To the bike rider it probably seemed that the truck driver was calculating his speed to allow the bike to pass in front.

But, the truck suddenly accelerated and it was too late for the bike rider to do very much. He did well to avoid hitting the truck.

My guess is that the truck driver saw the bike at the last moment and thought he could accelerate through before it reached him. Wrong.

24 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The bike also went the wrong way, he should have gone to his right, he would almost certainly have missed the rear of the truck, going left pretty well guaranteed an incident.

EDIT If something crosses in front of you head for where it came from, it's unlikely to go back that way.

Had he been more aware, possibly, but as he didnt even slow down there wasnt much option but to go for that gap leaving it as late as he did to react.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Possibly he (the bike rider) thought the truck driver was going to half pull across and stop to let him past, when the truck driver failed to stop the bike had to take avoiding action, if he braked he probably would have been run over by the truck.

Wounder if that was his daughter on the back, lesson on how to drive in Thailand.

2 hours ago, midas said:

Come on fellows! Yes the pickup driver might be at fault (but bear in mind also that weird rule in Thailand regarding the 30° each way zone of responsibility) but at the same time the motorcyclist doesn't seem to alter his speed one iota even when he is in very close proximity to the pickup. At least he should have slowed down.

Drivers in Thailand very rarely read the road and anticipate events which probably comes from abysmally low driver training standards.

It also comes from something basic in the Thai education methods, students not allowed to ask questions so no need to think plus indoctrinated with the idea that teacher is always right, and add the teacher mentality of 'I gave you the needed information, you don't need to know any more and you don't need to understand what I told you!'