Phuket officials unveil rules for Songkran

rooster59

Phuket officials unveil rules for Songkran

Suthicha Sirirat

1491562711_1-org.jpg

Water battles from pickups are allowed, but offcials warn police will act on ‘overzealous’ and dangerous beahviour. Photo: AFP

PHUKET: Officials are calling on all people to have a fun Songkran this week, but to keep safety in mind as the annual Thai New Year water festival is set to soak the streets of Phuket this Thursday (April 13).

Seven “zones” have been dedicated for family-oriented fun, Phuket Vice Governor Snith Sriwihok told leading officials at a meeting at the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Phuket office (DDPM-Phuket) in Phuket Town on Tuesday (April 4).

This year the zones are at: Bangla Rd and Loma Park in Patong; Saphan Hin and in front of Limelight Avenue mall in Phuket Town; Soi Ta-iad in Chalong; along the Kata Beach road; and at Surin Beach in Cherng Talay.

“The Songkran water splash zones will be helpful for people who want to enjoy the ‘water play’ and there will be officials to take care of them,” V/Gov Snith said.

However, many of the zones will still allow traffic through to engage in the “water play”, V/Gov Snith noted.

“Only Bangla Rd will be closed to traffic so people can enjoy the festival, as tourists there start splashing water to celebrate Songkran in the afternoon of April 12 and continue through April 13,” he said.

“This year there are no strict rules for Songkran, but like every year people joining the water play are asked play softly. For example, there is to be no ice throwing and no coloured powder added in the water,” V/Gov Snith added.

At the time of this article going to press, whether alcohol will be allowed to be sold or consumed in the zones remained unclear.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-unveil-rules-for-songkran-61710.php#vRQkohOtu37La0SH.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-04-09

“This year there are no strict rules for Songkran, but like every year people joining the water play are asked play softly. For example, there is to be no ice throwing and no coloured powder added in the water,” V/Gov Snith added.

Good luck with that.

22 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Might also make throwing water into the face of motorcyclists just to try and make them crash (hugely funny), an offense.

I agree. This is one of the most stupid things people can do, especially with the squirt pipes.. I have seen many crashes when exactly that is done, including one that killed a young woman. She lost control, swerved across the road and was wiped out by a lorry coming the other way.

I would like to see that in particular a serious offence, like attempted murder. That would make some idiots think twice.

I'll do what I mostly do. Ride around with the kids in the morning and have real fun, be home by 12 or 1 when the drunken fun starts.

After that just have a few beers and play around with the local kids.

sent using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Batten down thee hatches for me- fortunately its only half a day in Kamala and will wind down by 1900.

Me too. My first few years in Thailand I enjoyed playing in the afternoon for a few hours on our street. Much of the fun has gone out of it these days as it's degenerated into fierce 'water battles' with ice, powder, pressure guns .... I just stay home.