• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, transam said:

As an ex HGV driver I would say it was the truck drivers fault....:sad:

Yes it was Trans, but the car driver was not entirely blameless, he should have used a little common sense.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes it was Trans, but the car driver was not entirely blameless, he should have used a little common sense.

So do you think the Insurance Co will apportion some of the blame on the driver for not showing any common sense ?

I watched the video 3 times to check this...   The truck driver is clearly in the wrong.  Not because he was turning from the middle lane, that long a vehicle would need that much room to turn, but because he did not use his turn signals at all.  The light that some posters cite as a late turn signal is more likely a brake light as it comes on when he realizes that he has hit the car and stays on, rather than blinks.  The left side brake light is probably burned out.

I rewatched the video - I can't see the truck indicating at all, so I'd say 100% truck driver's fault. I could criticize the car drive for being a little hasty but he may not have done that if the truck driver was indicating. 

24 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

So do you think the Insurance Co will apportion some of the blame on the driver for not showing any common sense ?

The insurance companies will do anything they can to avoid paying out.

Also, driving in any country, the very first thing a driver needs is common sense, it

does not matter what it says in any highway codes. Thailands road statistics prove that.

I watched the video 3 times to check this...   The truck driver is clearly in the wrong.  Not because he was turning from the middle lane, that long a vehicle would need that much room to turn, but because he did not use his turn signals at all.  The light that some posters cite as a late turn signal is more likely a brake light as it comes on when he realizes that he has hit the car and stays on, rather than blinks.  The left side brake light is probably burned out.

Nailed it !
He probably should have had his hazards on in this case as a truck this length would have probably encroached into the u-turn lane plus 2 more lanes to the right.
No hazards or even an indicator gave no one ( or even himself probably) an indication about his intentions.
And yes, I agree, the lights shown were brake lights, or in this case brake light !.

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The insurance companies will do anything they can to avoid paying out.

Also, driving in any country, the very first thing a driver needs is common sense, it

does not matter what it says in any highway codes. Thailands road statistics prove that.

All that and you still haven't answered the question :whistling: 

The truck driver should have positioned his vehicle straddling both lanes to prevent cars overtaking on his right hand side, indicating right and used his mirrors. These U turns instead of proper junctions or over/underpasses are death traps. Nowhere else do you turn from a stationary position into a fast moving stream of traffic without separation or traffic signals. Just another example of the low standard of roads design and engineering coupled with lack of skill and consideration by drivers in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

The truck driver should have positioned his vehicle straddling both lanes to prevent cars overtaking on his right hand side, indicating right and used his mirrors. These U turns instead of proper junctions or over/underpasses are death traps. Nowhere else do you turn from a stationary position into a fast moving stream of traffic without separation or traffic signals. Just another example of the low standard of roads design and engineering coupled with lack of skill and consideration by drivers in Thailand.

Reckon that length of truck would not be able to make that turn using part of the U-turn lane. He was perfectly positioned to make the turn, BUT, his signals did not work and he obviously was not paying attention to his right mirror to look for folk using THEIR U-turn lane. I reckon he was looking at the flow of traffic coming his way where he wanted to go...

18 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Nailed it !
He probably should have had his hazards on in this case as a truck this length would have probably encroached into the u-turn lane plus 2 more lanes to the right.
No hazards or even an indicator gave no one ( or even himself probably) an indication about his intentions.
And yes, I agree, the lights shown were brake lights, or in this case brake light !.

Agreed. Hazard lights would have been the best option. Even then, it is still the truck driver that encroached on the car drivers lane so his responsibility to make sure the way is clear.

Both brake lights are working. It is hard to see the left brake light because of the sunlight but you can see it go off when the brakes are released. 

As I drive both the hgv1 and cars I can see both mistakes clearly, first the Heavy goods truck should of had one of the hardest tests in any vehicle carrying upwards of 40 tons it needs to be but this is thailand and driving uniform standards don't exist so everyday it's life or death on the roads, the trucker if he was trained should of looked in mirror to see if clear " before actually turning the wheel" and of adverted this accident all together , having said that the car driver running down the turn side of a turning large truck needs to go to basic survival school, the ultimate fault lays clearly at the truckers door and he should to be made to do a re-test if their is such a law and I hope his companies insurance will cover the losses of this unfortunate and silly motorist..,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

17 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Both in wrong.

Truck driver should be using mirrors and be aware of his offside.

Car driver should be aware of what may happen.

2 idiots 1 collision. 

Wrong:

1. Truck not use the U- Turn Lane

2. not use the Indicator

3. did not use the rearview mirror.

100% Truckdriver is to blame, even in Thailand.

This is Sulhumvit Road Laem Chabang, not a U turn a normal and simple right turn to get to the port.

Ample space for a professional wide right turn but the "trucker" either went for a shortcut or he is clueless about the dimensions of his combination

only one to blame: the trucker

Just now, possum1931 said:

Insurance companies will do what suits them, end of story.

Just a yes or no will suffice !

the truck driver did little to nothing to make his intended maneuver known. the truck driver should have flashed right indicators, stopped, looked at his right thoroughly, then turned right once the lane was clear. total brain fart or just being thai. usually, the latter causes the former. 

5 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

As I drive both the hgv1 and cars I can see both mistakes clearly, first the Heavy goods truck should of had one of the hardest tests in any vehicle carrying upwards of 40 tons it needs to be but this is thailand and driving uniform standards don't exist so everyday it's life or death on the roads, the trucker if he was trained should of looked in mirror to see if clear " before actually turning the wheel" and of adverted this accident all together , having said that the car driver running down the turn side of a turning large truck needs to go to basic survival school, the ultimate fault lays clearly at the truckers door and he should to be made to do a re-test if their is such a law and I hope his companies insurance will cover the losses of this unfortunate and silly motorist..,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes. Survival is the key issue.

Reminds me of a frequent situation when driving a car in BKK. I need to change lanes in heavy traffic when motorbike is suddenly zooming through the gap because either his speed is much higher than other vehicles or because he moved there a split second before I started the lane change.

The idiot will then slow down to glare at me while I look back with a blank expression. It might be technically my fault and if I knock him off it will ruin my day but not my life. The motorbike rider can't say the same.

Just now, possum1931 said:

Google an insurance company and ask them.

I was just asking your opinion that's all, being as you made the comment that the car driver was partly to blame for not showing any common sense  :biggrin:

Edited by alfieconn

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Not sure what video you watched.

The truck was on a lane that is not for doing the U-turn, does not use indicator.

Don't agree! This is where road etiquette ( not law) should be taught. Rightly or wrongly it was clear that the truck was going to turn so why not let him go? As I have said before, I would rather be cautious and safe than proclaim 'right of way' and be sorry. 

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indicators seen anyone?

I didn't.

The truck is on the right-turn lane, car on the U-turn lane.

Truck uses the U-turn instead of the normal turn a bit ahead.

It's not unusual that a truck needs two lanes for a U-turn.

(assuming there is no rule/sign that would forbid U-turns for such long vehicle)

BUT in this case at least have working indicators (turned on) AND look into the mirror thoroughly.

The car driver would have needed superstitious foreshadow.

9x% responsibility of the truck driver.

I saw a brake light :ph34r:

I would have hung back and let the truck complete its turn. Dart up the inside of a larger vehicle and you are always at risk of being sideswiped.

I regularly take a freeway exit back home and many cars in the exit lanes don't keep their right turn signal on because all three lanes have similar right turn signs painted on the road, and you can only turn right. The truck is in a marked exit/turning lane so I wonder how many drivers would have an indicator on, more so in Thailand.

Turning.JPG

Edited by kkerry

6 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

I was just asking your opinion that's all, being as you made the comment that the car driver was partly to blame for not showing any common sense  :biggrin:

So he was, all insurance companies are cheats, I have no more comments.

Your previous username would not have been Soi Biker by any chance?

I would have hung back and let the truck complete its turn. Dart up the inside of a larger vehicle and you are always at risk of being sideswiped.

I regularly take a freeway exit back home and many cars in the exit lanes don't keep their right turn signal on because all three lanes have similar right turn signs painted on the road, and you can only turn right. The truck is in a marked exit/turning lane so I wonder how many drivers would have an indicator on, more so in Thailand.

Turning.JPG.74b399b35a9df2d36001fe881cf4fe5f.JPG

I see your point !! But then in this case I would have to say that the truck driver is still in the wrong !!
If he was turning right then surely there was no need for him to encroach into the u-turn lane ?

IMO , he misjudged his turn !

16 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

I saw a brake light :ph34r:

Of course.

And as often as I repeat the video I neither see indicators on the truck nor on the car (his minor negligence without any implications).

First the brake lights of the car lit up and soon after the break-lights of the truck.

And that only after he has already rammed the car.

Driving by sense of hearing.

But seems I need new glasses.

A trailer truck is a two part vehicle, the power unit drags the trailer, they do not take the same line. Whether the guy was turning right or making a U-turn it was his responsibility to make sure his trailer was clear of other road users at all times, that's why trucks usually have multi mirrors to cover all angles...