What do you do at Songkran? (Survey)

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not been outside the gate today, not because it's Songkran but because I've had no reason to go out.

Wifey is going to mum's tomorrow, I'm staying home to look after the menagerie.

I'll take the opportunity to do some re-wiring of the generator control and add in more supply protection (turning the power off whilst SWMBO is home is "unwise"). Maybe start building my new workbench. I have all the steel needed.

If I do go out it will be in the car, direct to Tesco (Homepro or wherever).

stay at home, relax, catch up on emails and other assorted tasks that usually get overlooked.

have downloaded the rectify tv series which i'm quite enjoying.

oh yes, and at some point a lonely and/or frustrated ex will give me a call and want to come round. result. :biggrin:

Stay behind my wall and wait for it all to subside.

In years past I used to sit in the back of the pick-up and play etc but buckets of ice-cubes thrown at a vehicle doing 20mph is not funny!! Then I reduced to to doing the driving and then withdrew from it all together.

Hide inside as much as poss. If heat & energy levels permit, I might do some house cleaning. Read & load ebooks onto my site at librarything.com. Water the newly laid (turf) lawns - in the absence of constantly promised thunderstorms. Hop on the treadmill for slightly longer than usual.

Have done my New Year's duty today, with b/f, and paid my respects to PIL at the farm (40 km away - a minimum distance, I find, from the family including multiple alcoholic "cousins-of").

We just got back from a holiday in another country.....

R&R at a hotel for a day after arriving about 4AM.....Going at it around us with people celebrating & dancing.....

The wife just asked if we should walk about & take a look see - which is good for me as some 20 something gals are up & stage dancing - - then my wife promptly falls asleep.....Early as usual....

This year will be quiet with family.....The CM scene has gotten too drunkenly binged out that it's lost the appeal....

Last year we went to Kamphaeng?Phet & that was an active, fun, yet very nice Songkran....

2015: My neighborhood in Sutthisan was deserted pretty much so no trouble except for a couple of little rugrats with water guns who nailed me on the last day.

2016: Bunkered down in Talat Phlu but got nailed when some drunk idiots threw water into the bus windows while waiting at traffic light on Phet Kasem road. Cop standing right there did nothing. Poor old woman on bus almost in tears as she bore the brunt of the dousing. That's the kind of crap that is ridiculous....nailing bus passengers at a stop light and the cops do nothing.

2017: In USA for Songkran

2018: Kuala Lumpur ?

The biggest problem for me is the lack of food vendors on the street....the inconvenience of having to find a supermarket is a pain when all the vendors disappear.

I am in Hua Hin celebrating Songkran with the gf , her sister and her 2 rugrats.
As this is my first Songkran I decided to enter into the spirit and got kitted out with the flowery shirt, bought the male lead weight a super soaker and off we went down to Market Village for starters then ended up by the fire station which seemed to be the hub of water enduced entertainment ( not surprisingly).
I had a good old time, didn't flinch when I got an ice cold bucket down my back, even took my cap and glasses off to let the kids fully soak a farang baldy !!
Now, showered and looking for food am happy in the knowledge that I've contributed to Thailands economy and shown that farang are not all stuffy and serious.

Having said that I think that this will not be a regular outing, going back home tomorrow and will only participate in another if family or friends insist .

One day, like today, a year I can handle, any more than that and I will turn into the typical grumpy old expat made famous by TVF.

Oh, we did do the temple visit and water over the Buddha yesterday, so my aspirations to be a Buddhist have been fulfilled also !!

The longer I stay here, the less inclined I am to participate in SK.

Had some water fun in the past, in gentler times. But these days in BKK, too much drunken, senseless and potentially dangerous antics going on (at least up thru last year). Does seem quieter this year thus far in my area of BKK, though, probably because of the continuing mourning period for the late King.

Past couple years, have settled on the routine of pretty much staying indoors for the 3 or so days of antics. Do shopping beforehand to stock up, and make use of various delivery services whereby motorcycle delivery riders bring treats to our home. Always lots of things to keep busy with at home.

This year in BKK, though, an added element: Uber or Grab Taxi. In the past, where I live, the only taxis natively near my home were the bandit/hotel mafia types who want 1,000b and only go the the airport or Pattaya. Was almost impossible to get a meter taxi straight from my home. But nowadays with Grab and Uber, whip out the smartphone app and summon a meter-type taxi right to my front door and avoid all of the water antics on the soi going and returning.  I like it.

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Leave the country for 10 days. And before anyone asks, yes, I am a  miserable old git.

I shall return when the slaughter on the roads abates to their normal level of deadliness.

That makes two miserable old gits then as i am in your camp when it comes to this time of year.

Hung out in the village, went to the temple to view the festivities and a quick trip to the market. I was politely watered down by our neighbor and during the village parade, and by one kid with a super soaker on the walk to the market. For the most part tried to stay off the roads and out of the way at home.

15 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Stay behind my wall and wait for it all to subside.

In years past I used to sit in the back of the pick-up and play etc but buckets of ice-cubes thrown at a vehicle doing 20mph is not funny!! Then I reduced to to doing the driving and then withdrew from it all together.

Same here

48 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

That makes two miserable old gits then as i am in your camp when it comes to this time of year.

Japanese men are not showing up in MENs clubs.     I wonder if its a coincidence or they just dont like Songkran.

1 hour ago, wirat69 said:

Sat in the beachside bar just out of water throwing range, enjoyed the music and revellers and slowly got very drunk!!! I will do the same today!!!

Why do some people boast about deliberately getting drunk? It's disgusting.:sad: