Goodbye to Girls! (The t.v. series)

Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

Interesting.

In my experience, people that have been exposed to Girls either love it or hate it.

Perhaps you're commenting on something you don't even know about?

Exactly.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Do you post on every topic that you know nothing about?

Interesting. 

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Do you post on every topic that you know nothing about?

Interesting. 

You asked how I (people) felt about the show ending, I said I was disinterested, which is true. If you asked how I felt about the Kardashians I would have said the same thing. Don't ask questions if you don't like the answers you get. From what I've read, the show in question seems to be aimed at 20 somethings, predominantly women. Do you fit that profile?

Edited by giddyup

Comparing the Kardashians to Girls. That is ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girls_(TV_series)

"In its final season, Girls remains uncompromising, intelligent, character driven, compassionate – and at times consciously aggravating."

We live in the golden age of television and Girls has certainly been a part of that.

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Comparing the Kardashians to Girls. That is ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girls_(TV_series)

"In its final season, Girls remains uncompromising, intelligent, character driven, compassionate – and at times consciously aggravating."

The only comparison I made, is that I am disinterested in both. If I believed every blurb written by a movie critic, or investor, I probably would have thought Saved By The Bell was Oscar worthy.

Edited by giddyup

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The only comparison I made, is that I am disinterested in both.

OK, I get it.

In future (message to all), if not actually interested in the topic here, the show GIRLS, kindly do not bother to post on this thread, which is obviously about the show GIRLS.
(No, not Showgirls ...)

For those that know it, there is an expat angle in the history of the show. When Shoshana takes a job in Tokyo and falls in love with a local --

Edited by Jingthing

Six fresh seasons waiting for you then!

To be fair, I think you wrongly assumed that people know what your talking about (the show).

I too have never heard of it, so a little more detail wouldn't have gone amiss (like an IMDB link).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

To be fair, I think you wrongly assumed that people know what your talking about (the show).

I too have never heard of it, so a little more detail wouldn't have gone amiss (like an IMDB link).

If it's run for 6 seasons and no-one knows about it, it must be because it's aimed at a target audience that doesn't include 50 + single men. Unless there's some T & A, then I might give it a chance.

28 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If it's run for 6 seasons and no-one knows about it, it must be because it's aimed at a target audience that doesn't include 50 + single men. Unless there's some T & A, then I might give it a chance.

Just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean no-one knows about it. 

There is indeed plenty of T & A in the show, and sex as well, but it's not the kind of show you'd watch for that. A big part of the controversy about the show has been the lead character exposing her nudity (A LOT) when she is anything but a typical female model type. 

Edited by Jingthing

30 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

I assumed nothing. It was a message to people that do know about it. 

But since you asked:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1723816/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

6 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

I'd watch it if I had a VPN, but the ones I see cost as much as HBO ~$10/month.  I'm afraid of the free ones.  My internet security says they're all malicious.  

I've been downloading free movies and series for 8 years here, without a VPN, never get any warnings from security.

Just now, giddyup said:

I've been downloading free movies and series for 8 years here, without a VPN, never get any warnings from security.

I've done a lot of torrenting too.  I could watch HBO via streaming if I had a VPN, but it won't allow me to login outside the US.  Maybe there's a Thai version of HBO?

I  suppose I should answer my own question.

I'm looking forward to the finale show, and curious of course to see how they wrap it up.

I don't expect it to be a conventional, happy ending, type of finale, but who knows, maybe doing that would be perfect because people wouldn't expect it from a show that has so often been on the DARK side.

I'm happy that the show was cast so brilliantly, both in regular cast and guests, and wish them all well in what they do next.

I'm happy that they knew WHEN to end it. The "girls" are no longer "girls" -- and the show becoming a show about career women in their 30's doesn't sound so great. 

Lena Dunham has said if all she's ever remembered for is the show Girls, regardless of what she does or doesn't do next for the rest of her life, that will make her happy. Makes sense to me. One of the great shows in American television history. Started well and ending well. What more could you ask for? 

As far as the show being "about" (or only for) the generation of the characters, well, yes and no. There are similarities and differences in any younger generation. Watching the show, people of all ages can see that. But like I said, many people passionately HATE the show for various reasons (including political) and I get that too. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

The only comparison I made, is that I am disinterested in both. If I believed every blurb written by a movie critic, or investor, I probably would have thought Saved By The Bell was Oscar worthy.

I think jingo said goodbye to girls a long time ago.

Now might be a good time to recall the more memorable scenes in the show. For some reason, one plot line that sticks in my head is the saga of Ray (the wiser "older" man) and his reaction to the nearby Brooklyn hipster coffee shop sucking away at his business. So he opens a "politically incorrect" themed coffee shop. I don't have the clip showing that as yet, but this shows his motivation:

Edited by Jingthing

I can't find a clip but here's the plot line about the funny coffee house:

... Noticing that business is suffering at Ray's, Shoshanna offers to help Ray and Hermie with marketing as well as performing clandestine research on the competition across the street. She comes up with an idea to pander to the "anti-hipster" market. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Girls_episodes

Still no clip of the anti-hipster marketing theme for Ray's Coffee house, but here is the REAL coffee house where it all happened. Cafe GRUMPY!

grumpy.jpg.7818adee4b1b6fdf8539d7a1d8ad2214.jpg

NEW YORK — Until last year, Café Grumpy in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, was mostly known as a destination for the serious coffee drinker, the type of place where each modestly sized cup is individually brewed and goes for $4 a pop.

Now, thanks to "Girls," the polarizing HBO series in which Lena Dunham stars as Hannah Horvath, a self-involved writer and reluctant Café Grumpy barista, and Alex Karpovsky as Ray, her angsty, thirtysomething boss, the shop has achieved a measure of fame that extends well beyond New York's coffee connoisseurs.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/23/entertainment/la-et-st-girls-cafe-grumpy-coffee-shop-brooklyn-20130323

Edited by Jingthing

Goodbye, Girls.

This article sums it up nicely.

HBO’s ‘Girls’ goes out as the one thing it always wanted to be: A good TV show

...What we’re seeing, at last, is that everyone gets to the shores of adulthood on their own schedule, in their own way, but parts of us remain forever vulnerable and unprepared for life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/hbos-girls-goes-out-as-the-one-thing-it-always-wanted-to-be-a-good-tv-show/2017/04/13/bf1bda9a-1fc0-11e7-a0a7-8b2a45e3dc84_story.html

Edited by Jingthing