Ariya finds magic in putter to go top in Hawaii

Ariya finds magic in putter to go top in Hawaii

By The Nation and Agency

16e26ad79e06c14e8873354243d7fed4.jpeg

Ariya Jutanugarn of Thailand plays a tee shot on the 13th hole during the second round of the LPGA LOTTE Championship Presented By Hershey at Ko Olina Golf Club on April 13, 2017 in Kapolei, Hawaii.

World No 2 Ariya Jutanugarn shot an error-free 66 for a share lead with South Korea’s Kim In-kyung after a rain-hit second round of the LPGA Tour’s Lotte Championship in Kapolei, Hawaii, on Thursday.

Ariya went bogey-free and capped her round with three-straight birdies on Nos 16, 17 and 18 for a midway total of nine-under-par 135.

As one of the hottest players on the tour over the last year, Ariya is still looking for her first win of 2017 after a couple of runners-up finishes.

“I didn’t hit the ball that well, but my putting worked pretty good today. It was pretty windy. … I had to adjust my swing a little,” said Ariya who has twice finished second this year, in the Singapore HSBC Women’s Champions and the Bank of Hope Founders Cup in Phoenix, Arizona.

Kim vaulted into a share of the lead with a sizzling eight-under 64. The Korean rolled in nine birdies against just one bogey as she rocketed from 48th after the first round to the top of the leader board.

She credited a hot putter for her nine-under 135 total.

“I had a great putting day,” said Kim, 28. “Yesterday I hit the ball pretty well but just didn’t make as many putts.

“Today, the putts were dropping. I had some good shots but I kind of scrambled very well.”

For the second straight day, rain showers at the Ko Olina Golf Club caused a lengthy delay before play was suspended with 15 players still on the course.

Jang Su-yeon was also at nine under through 16 holes when the horn sounded. She will have to finish her second round on Friday morning.

Canada’s Alena Sharp, South Korea’s Lee Mi-hyang and Stacy Lewis of the US are one shot back of the co-leaders at eight-under 136.

Ariya’s compatriot Nontaya Srisawang is tied for eighth, just two shots back, after shooting a five-under 67.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/sports/30312275

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-15