Swiss man dies after heavy drinking in Chon Buri

Jonathan Fairfield

Swiss man dies after heavy drinking in Chon Buri

A 63-year-old Swiss man died after he drank the whole bottle of whisky alone inside his condominium room in Chon Buri’s Mueang district late Friday night.

His Thai girlfriend told police that she returned from working in another provice at 00:30 am Saturday and found Schmidt Hans Rudolf sitting unconsciously on the balcony of his room on the 12th floor of the Ake Condo View.

She said she dragged him to lie on bed to try help him recover but she found that he has died.

The woman said she has been living with Rudolf for five years. She said she left him to work in another province on Thursday.

She said Rudolf has been complaining about a financial problem and he also had heart disease.

Police said there was no trace of foul play in the room and nothing was stolen but the right wrist of the man had a scratch.

His body was sent for an autopsy at a hospital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30313037

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-22

RIP Rudolf.

The headline is jumping to a very large conclusion. If the victim was alone; and who says he was; how can anyone know how long it took him to drink a bottle of whiskey. The autopsy results will bring facts into play, rather than ubsubstantiated speculation.

20 minutes ago, champers said:

RIP Rudolf.

The headline is jumping to a very large conclusion. If the victim was alone; and who says he was; how can anyone know how long it took him to drink a bottle of whiskey. The autopsy results will bring facts into play, rather than ubsubstantiated speculation.

RIP.

He was 63. death from natual causes is quite common at this age.

no one drinks himself to death on a bottle of whisky...with a case of 12 bottles maybe...

sounds like heart probs...

alone and maybe in distress because of financial difficulties...RIP

'there but for fortune...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

39 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

no one drinks himself to death on a bottle of whisky... with a case of 12 bottles maybe...

Google would disagrees :

- Man died after drinking bottle of whiskey

- Cabbie died after drinking bottle of whisky

- etc.

Your statement may be true in the case of an alcoholic though...

right wrist of the man had a scratch. Um

Remind me not to drink Whiskey out here, that Whiskey must be a real killer, lets get the Scots to stop making it as its making this neck of the woods look bad.

RIP My Man

Edited by wakeupplease

2 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

right wrist of the man had a scratch. Um

Remind me not to drink Whiskey out here, that Whiskey must be a real killer, lets get the Scots to stop making it as its making this neck of the woods look bad.

RIP My Man

Scots don't make whiskey.

They make Whisky!

The Thai plonk is neither.

16 hours ago, champers said:

rather than ubsubstantiated speculation.

But that's what we do here at Thai Visa. Evidence and testimony of those who knew the victim or are otherwise connected to the actual event can never compare to the wisdom of the bar stool (BS-CSI) or bedsit investigators.

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

RIP Swiss man.

20 years ago a friend of mine did this. Everyone thought he was long over his drinking problem.

But one day he just sat down at his house and drank himself to death.

Very sad.

Everyone has a choice in life, they chose to drink themselves to death.

19 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

RIP.

He was 63. death from natual causes is quite common at this age.

Well this wasn't natural causes (if he drank himself to death) and I think I would question that is quite common at 63.  Maybe in Thailand...

Edited by dunroaming

I saw a young man totally passed out on the dance stage in the middle of a bar the other day. Lying on his back, the Thais were feeding him Heineken while unconscious. At some point he started gagging and throwing up which you obviously can't when lying on your back. So quite an easy way to die, really. Of course I turned the poor guy to his side so he could throw up in his pillow... all others were just giggling at the scene... <deleted>.

I think that maybe ill health and/heart problems may have exacerbated the situation. I have drunk a whole bottle of Gold Watch over a session. In fact i drunk a bottle on last day of Sonkran, and that was over 5 hours.Maybe if the cause of death had been walking in front of a truck, AFTER drinking the whiskey then i could understand it

Anyway RIP Swiss man. I hope you are drinking some better stuff where you are now.

I agree you would have a hard time killing yourself with just one bottle. Maybe if downing it with 30-60 minutes. Go watch some videos on Youtube about what happens when you chug a bottle.

There is also a real possibility to kill yourself with alcohol and preexisting sleep apnea or if having Valium (or similar) in your system (where it can stay 100 hours+).

On 4/22/2017 at 8:11 PM, champers said:

RIP Rudolf.

But ubsubstantiated speculation is what so many tv.com posters are all about. Don't start confusing them with the facts. 

Hmmm...sad......  and RIP.

I wonder what brand  name of alcohol he drank and would it have made a difference if he had of drank a different brand...some being crap quality and others being of quality...or so they say.

A lady I knew drank herself to death but not deliberately as far as we know ...but simply kept on drinking her vodka to the point of 2 / 3rds to 1 bottle a day ( I guess she was thirsty ) and finally took its toll on her.

She poisoned herself and overloaded her liver and related functions and died less than 12 hours after arriving at the hospital.

I could not feel sorry for her while she was better off dead in some respects as her life was miserable while she made her own life miserable by wallowing in her own self inflicted misery fueled all the more by alcohol.

She should have found solace in Cannabis and would probably still be alive today if she had of switched to Cannabis.

She used to claim: "I don't smoke that shxt and I hate people that do"....Rah, Rah, Rah..... and spoken in her raspy alcohol induced foul mouthed manner  ......while her vodka and water consumed for years and years was perfectly acceptable to her old school way of thinking ...lol

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

4 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I think that maybe ill health and/heart problems may have exacerbated the situation. I have drunk a whole bottle of Gold Watch over a session. In fact i drunk a bottle on last day of Sonkran, and that was over 5 hours.Maybe if the cause of death had been walking in front of a truck, AFTER drinking the whiskey then i could understand it

Anyway RIP Swiss man. I hope you are drinking some better stuff where you are now.

Wow! Drinking a bottle in five hours. You must be so proud.

15 hours ago, wump said:

I saw a young man totally passed out on the dance stage in the middle of a bar the other day. Lying on his back, the Thais were feeding him Heineken while unconscious. At some point he started gagging and throwing up which you obviously can't when lying on your back. So quite an easy way to die, really. Of course I turned the poor guy to his side so he could throw up in his pillow... all others were just giggling at the scene... <deleted>.

Like we always say life is cheap in Thailand   think i am lucky because that Leo and Chang beer makes me so sick after 2 bottles and i hate whiskey and Rum But then again i dont see to much Rum on the shelves here

9 hours ago, gemguy said:

Hmmm...sad......  and RIP.

I wonder what brand  name of alcohol he drank and would it have made a difference if he had of drank a different brand...some being crap quality and others being of quality...or so they say.

A lady I knew drank herself to death but not deliberately as far as we know ...but simply kept on drinking her vodka to the point of 2 / 3rds to 1 bottle a day ( I guess she was thirsty ) and finally took its toll on her.

She poisoned herself and overloaded her liver and related functions and died less than 12 hours after arriving at the hospital.

I could not feel sorry for her while she was better off dead in some respects as her life was miserable while she made her own life miserable by wallowing in her own self inflicted misery fueled all the more by alcohol.

She should have found solace in Cannabis and would probably still be alive today if she had of switched to Cannabis.

She used to claim: "I don't smoke that shxt and I hate people that do"....Rah, Rah, Rah..... and spoken in her raspy alcohol induced foul mouthed manner  ......while her vodka and water consumed for years and years was perfectly acceptable to her old school way of thinking ...lol

Cheers

Good chance she died of cancer of the liver

13 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

Wow! Drinking a bottle in five hours. You must be so proud.

Yes mate, i was having fun, and i was sharing it with the people that were celebrating village style Songkran.And it was only a 5th, which is 70 cl. Why? do you never have fun and go a litte to extremes?

Or you a 2 pint once a week and in bed by 9pm.There are plenty of people that do it faster than that.

Oh!by the way, the next meeting of the Salvation army is at the William Boothe hotel on soi 6 and the dry cleaners called and said your uniform will be ready Thursday.

God protect me from holier than thou people and saints.