Cabinet endorses broad spying powers for Thai police

webfact

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/26/2017 at 3:32 PM, darksidedog said:

And so the move towards a police state continues and innocent people should be worried about that.

So if the BIB decide you are a criminal suspect, they can do as they wish.
Fabricate evidence to show the court and then monitor who ever they want.

"... but police promised that ordinary people would not be affected..."

Ah-huh.  Of course.  Ordinary people are ordinary, well, until they aren't.  And if we do away with all those pesky privacy laws, we can find out how many ordinary people are only pretending to be ordinary.  Of course, if we convince neighbors to spy on neighbors, children to spy on parents, even better!  But one step at a time.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  

39 minutes ago, connda said:

"... but police promised that ordinary people would not be affected..."

Ah-huh.  Of course.  Ordinary people are ordinary, well, until they aren't.  And if we do away with all those pesky privacy laws, we can find out how many ordinary people are only pretending to be ordinary.  Of course, if we convince neighbors to spy on neighbors, children to spy on parents, even better!  But one step at a time.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  

All so they don't have to do their jobs :coffee1:

On 4/26/2017 at 3:56 PM, Eligius said:

Yes, my friend. And still the Thais do nothing about it. More important to watch comedy shows with bells, gongs, hoots and whistles, or the latest appallingly acted soap opera.

There comes a point where, with the heaviest heart, one has to speak of national cowardice. Some nations in this world fought and sacrificed their blood in millions for liberty over the centuries. 

Moral and physical courage is not an attribute I see in abundance here. So - people get the 'government' they deserve. Sad - but, I am afraid, ultimately true. In the final analysis, a 'government' which is allowed to persist for growing numbers of years reflects the soul of the people who supinely permit such continuance. 

Sorry - a bit off topic but "comedy shows with bells, gongs, hoots and whistles,"?

As I don't speak Thai, I can not comment on the standard of humour on these so called "comedy" shows, but the ridiculous costumes and hair styles give me the distinct impression that the comedy itself will be lacklustre to say the least! Those kind of background effects went out the Stage Door along with the man banging the coconut shells together to mimic the sound of galloping horses!

3 hours ago, aussienam said:

I sense a hint of sarcasm and cynicism!
Not saying it will be perfect but they are well used investigative tools that all modern law enforcement agencies use. It's about bringing RTP into technological era of evidence gathering.
It can provide very damning evidence that is indisputable and improve conviction rates for serious crimes.
It's not as if RTP should never get this type of evidence gathering technology. It would always have been just a matter of time. And I dare say that it will also likely at some point in time begin to be used against corrupt officials in all walks of life. It may therefore be a help there in exposing them.
Like any new technology being implemented, it will be very restricted in its use. There will need to be extensive training and education. Service providers won't hook up the intercepts until the court issues the warrants which will be authorised only by a judge.
By just saying that RTP don't deserve it because they are corrupt etc, is a bit shortsighted IMO. There may well be some issues but let the process of modernisation and increased accountability sort all of this out. I believe the benefits will outweigh the negatives.
I would rather see convictions for serious crimes and used for counter terrorism, and anti corruption which this technology will be able to assist with.
What about DNA forensic evidence? People were paranoid about that being misused and breach of privacy there as well when that began. Also for drones, etc etc. This is the modern world and Thailand is catching up.

Well played sir. Still not convinced though that it wont be used by the junta to go after perceived "enemies of the state".  I say this on the assumption (perhaps misguided) that Prayut could simply play card 44 to use it however he wants. 

Sent from my SM-G9287 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It can provide very damning evidence that is indisputable and improve conviction rates for serious crimes. 

Some shockingly high percentage of cases are effectively plead-out/confessed (forced or otherwise) as this results in a 50% reduction in sentence.

I know it sounds spiffy but there are very few cases here, maybe other than 112/114/CCA, where this might prove effective, once the RTP gets up to speed.

Maybe some of the larger conspiracy type cases, but what happens when all sorts of amart/hi-so get recorded, and then defense attorneys ask for discovery?

It will probably be used against political opponents most effectively, if I had to crystal-ball it.

10 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

The French Revolution is looking REALLY good right now.

Which one? The one we are fortunate to be able to witness first hand or the one that happened a while ago and got rid of a lot ( not all) the moneyed elite?

12 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

have to wonder how it all works. army is in power but cops get the new powers. i suppose the army will be able to use these new powers as well. they would have been better off waiting till the next bombing to bring the new powers in. people dont care about freedom and liberty if they feel they are in danger.

I should imagine the army will be (are already) doing it anyway. I don't suppose the legality or otherwise bothers them one jot.

On 4/26/2017 at 3:32 PM, darksidedog said:

And so the move towards a police state continues and innocent people should be worried about that.

"He added that innocent people should not be worried about the amendment as it would only be applied to criminal suspects."

All well and good until the innocent people are turned into "criminal suspects" for innocent private chats

this excuse is occurring world wide. Is it an Orwellian/NWO conspiracy? 

When a Thai says don't worry, Bloody worry alot.

And still there are those who say its a wonderful place to live but moan when it all starts to fail.

You know where all this is heading I hope you have made back up plans like I did and guess what I made the right decision when I read some of the going on's via here I know I did the right thing.

On 4/26/2017 at 3:35 PM, zaphod reborn said:

Don't worry, Off. Somchais will be too busy monitoring their wife's, mia noi's and gik's calls and social media accounts to pay any attention to average citizens, or "criminals accused of grave offenses."

Not to mention the blackmail that's about to happen. Thailand is all about power, and such sweeping laws will give those in that loop the ultimate power.

On 26/04/2017 at 9:56 AM, Eligius said:

Yes, my friend. And still the Thais do nothing about it. More important to watch comedy shows with bells, gongs, hoots and whistles, or the latest appallingly acted soap opera.

There comes a point where, with the heaviest heart, one has to speak of national cowardice. Some nations in this world fought and sacrificed their blood in millions for liberty over the centuries. 

Moral and physical courage is not an attribute I see in abundance here. So - people get the 'government' they deserve. Sad - but, I am afraid, ultimately true. In the final analysis, a 'government' which is allowed to persist for growing numbers of years reflects the soul of the people who supinely permit such continuance. 

Sometimes the price of freedom aint worth paying particuarly if you have a roof over your head , food in your belly and enough elbow room for some personal freedom. 50 million people died in WW1 in a dispute between European royal family members  the result of which led to WW2 and so on. For all it's sins , inequalities , widespread corruption and downright illogic I would rather see this rickety , highly imperfect state hanging together in relative peace and an absence of bloodshed than lurching into the unknown of civil strife and maybe even a failed state. Our lives are short enough as they are to want that for our families and loved ones in the so called Land of Smiles. The junta are at a crossroads now and could yet again make profound changes that could open a treasure chest of bounties. If only a smidgeon of that trickled down to the ordinary Thai people that would  be progress. I hope it  happens.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:34 AM, Get Real said:

It´s great. Why complaining? You people think this doesn´t exist in every other country. Just wake up and smell reality!

That may be true up to a point, but in most civilised countries ordinary citizens are protected by laws which are effectively applied by the courts.  In the 62 years I lived in the UK, I never once felt at any risk from the police who always seemed extremely polite to the general public, never asked for money, and were well aware that any transgression of their authority could result in the immediate loss of their job and their pension plus for serious offences, jail time.  Not exactly the same as Thailand is it?

We can also criticise and even lampoon the UK Royal family if we wish (in public and even on television) witj out breaking any laws.  It is called "free speech" which is not allowed over here.

Sometimes the price of freedom aint worth paying particuarly if you have a roof over your head , food in your belly and enough elbow room for some personal freedom. 50 million people died in WW1 in a dispute between European royal family members  the result of which led to WW2 and so on. For all it's sins , inequalities , widespread corruption and downright illogic I would rather see this rickety , highly imperfect state hanging together in relative peace and an absence of bloodshed than lurching into the unknown of civil strife and maybe even a failed state. Our lives are short enough as they are to want that for our families and loved ones in the so called Land of Smiles. The junta are at a crossroads now and could yet again make profound changes that could open a treasure chest of bounties. If only a smidgeon of that trickled down to the ordinary Thai people that would  be progress. I hope it  happens.

Actually, the price of freedom is ALWAYS worth paying. Only those who've already lost it have been successfully indoctrinated to believe otherwise. Darwin got it right... Sad.

On 4/26/2017 at 11:33 PM, LannaGuy said:

where's Jamie and the other Junta Huggers telling us this is all a good idea and needed to 'save us' from Thaksin?  they sleep walk into an authoritarian oblivion as the Junta 'knows best' and those 200+ unelected senators will make sure the elected are 'on message' how reassuring 

Perhaps  doing his "civic duty" and keeping an eye on  those would dare speak out on behalf of human rights and fundamental freedoms. You best be careful lest you be turned into the authorities for  having the wrong ideas. You might have your attitude adjusted.

12 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

That may be true up to a point, but in most civilised countries ordinary citizens are protected by laws which are effectively applied by the courts.  In the 62 years I lived in the UK, I never once felt at any risk from the police who always seemed extremely polite to the general public, never asked for money, and were well aware that any transgression of their authority could result in the immediate loss of their job and their pension plus for serious offences, jail time.  Not exactly the same as Thailand is it?

We can also criticise and even lampoon the UK Royal family if we wish (in public and even on television) witj out breaking any laws.  It is called "free speech" which is not allowed over here.

Just live there then, or accept the rules in another country of your choice. Nobody terlls you to live in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Just live there then, or accept the rules in another country of your choice. Nobody terlls you to live in Thailand.

I also choose to live in Thailand and i reserve the right to have my own opinion on the law and government of Thailand, I will not push my opinions on the Thai people but i am aware through speaking with Thai Nationals that the approval rate for the Junta is not the 96% that was once claimed although it may be the rate in Bangkok and among the elite