Highway police scurry to save face after cop issues 1,123km/hour speeding ticket

rooster59

Highway police scurry to save face after cop issues 1,123km/hour speeding ticket

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1BbCmU1fObPN2e36vYvXjGso1Hslk.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

The chief at the highways department went ballistic after one of his underlings issued a ticket for a car going just under the speed of sound.

Apparently the white Chevrolet pictured with the fine sent out on the 19th of March was doing 1,123 kilometers an hour - approaching Mach 1!

A picture of the ticket was shared onto a Facebook fan page called "Sanap Sanun Patiroop Tamruat" (promoting police reform).

Red faced highways chief Somchai Kaosamran then went on the Line application to demand that whoever had filled the form in wrong be punished.

This exchange also found its way into the public mainstream.

It was found that the ticket should have read a more reasonable 123 kmp/h for the offence committed on Route 1.

Somchai assured the public that the speeding limit was 90 kilometers per hour but that some leeway is usually given.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-29

8 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Apparently the white Chevrolet pictured with the fine sent out on the 19th of March was doing 1,123 kilometers an hour - approaching Mach 1!

Not beyond the realms of possibility that some would try to achieve this.

A representative of the Thai Toyota Commuter Minivan Driver Society scoffed at this risible speed. " 1,123 km/h? The guy wasn't even trying. I regularly drive so fast me and my passengers enter another dimension on the route between Bangkok and Saraburi. May I suggest the next time he tries running on nearly bald tyres to reduce friction and slipstreaming the car in front. A rule of thumb us van drivers use is if you can read the road names on the gps of the vehicle you're following through their rear window you're about close enough."

Edited by mca

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Must save face no matter what, we must save face.

Saving face is more important than anything here.

Do you not think that a western police chief would do exactly the same thing if somebody inadvertently moved a decimal place?

Coming back from Sa Kaeo in February, the g/f was driving along highway 359 and zing ! Right past a cop with a camera.

Sure enough, we get pulled aside a couple hundred meters further down the highway where the g/f is informed she was being ticketed for doing 140. She laughed and told the cop their camera must be broken because she was doing 160 !

She managed to get away with only paying 500 baht. That time. 

1 hour ago, leeneeds said:

Typos are an everyday occurrence,

somebody on eBay will buy the ticket,

Yes, I don't see the problem here unless it was an automated system. Typo's happen and I bet the boss has made his fair share of mistakes too. 

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Must save face no matter what, we must save face.

Saving face is more important than anything here.

Must generalize about Thais no what, we must generalize about Thais

Generalizing about Thais is more important that anything else 

3 hours ago, Sphere said:

Any assurance from Somchai is good enough for me. :coffee1:

Different cops and land transport officers quote different numbers in terms of the absolute speed limit. I've read: 80, 90, 100, 110, 120.

Does anybody have a site address which gives the real facts?

Edited by scorecard

7 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

How can a Thai could know the speed of sound..

I submit that if you asked most westerners less than 5% would know the answer. I had to check.

"The speed of sound is the distance travelled per unit time by a sound wave as it propagates through an elastic medium. In dry air at 20 °C (68 °F), the speed of sound is 343 metres per second (1,125 ft/s; 1,235 km/h; 767 mph; 667 kn), or a kilometre in 2.91 s or a mile in 4.69 s." Wiki.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Different cops and land transport officers quote different numbers in terms of the absolute speed limit. I've read: 80, 90, 100, 110, 120.

In general, 200 baht corrects these mistakes quite quickly

I do think that the "going ballistic" and "losing face" is just the journalist trying to make the story sound more interesting .

A speeding ticket was issued with the decimal point in the wrong place , simple error , which was corrected .

No big deal

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Found this one for you.

http://www.autoeurope.ie/go/driving-information/thailand/

In brief, (although, like every country, there will be local variations)

Speed limits in Thailand are:

Town and city: 60 km/h 

Open Roads: 90 km/h

Motorways: 120 km/h

NO!!!!

He made a simple error, punish him to hell and beyond so we are not seen as corrupt in any way whatsoever!!!

we may traffic children & laborers...

we may smuggle drugs in & out of the country..

we may well be involved in all manner of gambling & collusion with 'shadowy figures'..

BUT WE DO NOT ACCIDENTALLY PRESS NUMBERS TWICE !!!    PUNISH HIIIIMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STAMP ON HIS HEAD!!!

MURDER HIS GRANDCHILDREN!!!

and carry on...

Edited by edgarfriendly