First Chinese tour group to enter Thailand via Mekong River

webfact

First Chinese tour group to enter Kingdom via Mekong River
By Nattawat Laping
The Nation

2599609a2adfe944e9a454fbd1b94272-sld.jpe

CHIANG RAI: -- The first group of Chinese tourists to visit Thailand on a cruise along the Mekong River arrived at Chiang Rai's Chiang Saen Pier on Monday evening.

The tourists travelled aboard two Chinese boats (“Yenta 7” and “Yenta 8”) and one Thai boat (“Kasalongkham”) that departed the Guan Lei port in China's Yunnan province.

They are mostly from the lowlands of Xishuangbanna and included 180 Chinese media members. 

Company executive Chu Xuan Xu, who led the tour group, said this was the first time Chinese tourists had visited Thailand via the Mekong River, which linked China, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand and was usually used for cargo transport.

Chu said the group was impressed by the beautiful natural riverside sceneries. 

He said as many Chinese tourists were keen on travelling to the Golden Triangle, this colourful river cruise route had high tourism potential.

The Chinese tourists are scheduled to stay in Thailand for three days and will visit Chiang Rai attractions including the Doi Tung development project, Baandum Museum (Thawan Duchanee) and Wat Rong Khun, as well as attractions on Myanmar's Tha Chilek side.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30314003

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-02

This is just the beginning. Chiang Rai will be flooded with river tourist. Wonder what it would cost to take the trip back up the river. I did this 10 years ago and it was very enjoyable. The boat ties up in the middle of Jing Hong Town.

My initial thoughts were "There goes the neighbourhood".

These lower class tourists are the modern America culture destroyers. they have no interest in local culture, will not spend money as they have paid for "all in" holidays at source and if anyone needs a reminder of how they behave, go to the White Temple and use the toilets. Despite having separate toilets for the Chinese, they still turn the main ones into a replica of their own back in rural China.

My hope is that they will not find Chiang Rai very interesting and go elsewhere.

Snobbish point of view? No, I just respect local culture.

10 hours ago, DonaldBattles said:

Wonder what it would cost to take the trip back up the river. I did this 10 years ago and it was very enjoyable. The boat ties up in the middle of Jing Hong Town.

Interesting! Please can you share with us how did you do this? I mean what was the route and time that it took and if it was a commercially operated cruise, what was the name of the company?

Previously about 10 years ago they had a nice boat that made the trip. Since then this boat has been discontinued. It took 12 hours going up and 8 coming back. It may be that they have started the boat up again. I don't know.