Immigration denies helping “Boss” escape arrest

webfact

20 hours ago, the guest said:

Thailand really is a laughing stock of the world. How on earth could you take this country seriously, when the authorities behave in such a childish manner?

Agree entirely with the sentiments expressed, but describing the behavior of the authorities involved in this case childish is insulting to children. I can think of many more appropriate adverbs - but I want to hang on to my visa for a while longer.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, kmj said:

He's in Singapore if they want to know...

From the BBC site today

'The Associated Press news agency said Singapore airport authorities had confirmed with them that Mr Vorayuth's private plane was in the country as of Tuesday' Note :- that's last Tuesday...

Serious? The Singapore Authorities can make such statements? Fire them.

20 hours ago, z42 said:

As if any Thai in a uniform would admit any mistakes in public anyways. Even if footage of the mistake was recorded it would miraculously go missing or be inconclusive, or maybe this is just another misunderstanding... Lots of them in cases such as this when untouchables are involved

As if any Thai official person who wanted to keep their job after next week would dare try and stop him........

Quote from Immigration Boss" We could not deny him departure because its just a hit and run case' Nothing to serious the cop died so what? I wonder how much dad paid them to let the little turd out of the country If it was you or me we would be waiting in jail for trail

Why would a super rich kid be so untouchable?

1. Influence and 2. Money. 

Now is the time to start looking for anyone that may have been bribed or interfered with judicial proceedings and charge them accordingly if they exist . 

A legitimate and thorough investigation may widen this case beyond anyone's imagination. 

....now , how long until the first skeptic here will say " never happen"  ?

:-)

21 hours ago, robblok said:

I dont see why they blame immigration.. there was no warrant yet. The police and courts just had to be faster. 

That's true - but the report says that this isn't a serious case!

Just now, robblok said:

Its a serious case.. but even so.. without a warrant.. can they stop someone ?

Read the report Rob. It says Thong Lor police could've requested to block him leaving but didn't because its not a serious case, only reckless driving.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Read the report Rob. It says Thong Lor police could've requested to block him leaving but didn't because its not a serious case, only reckless driving.

Sure i read the report.. i just disagree with them not calling it a serious crime. Now who is to blame here.. immigration who had no orders to hold him or the police (ok immigration is part of the police). I just don't think the blame should be with immigration. 

Just now, robblok said:

Sure i read the report.. i just disagree with them not calling it a serious crime. Now who is to blame here.. immigration who had no orders to hold him or the police (ok immigration is part of the police). I just don't think the blame should be with immigration. 

It isn't. It's with Thong Lor police division who are handling this case. Any issues as to why little progress has been made should be addressed to them. 

It's not that Thai Immigration had only from Boss' actual moment of arrival at the immigration gate on April 23rd to notify the the Minister of Justice, DSI, Royal Thai Police, etc.

The Advanced Passenger Information (API) system requires electronic submission of air passenger manifests BEFORE the aircraft actually arrives in Thailand. Typically, the manifest is sent no later than 1 hour prior to flight departure. It's likely that Boss' arrival schedule was known in advance but seemingly ignored.

22 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Correct. 

It would only be a serious crime if the perpetrator was a nobody and poor and that the joke of a Police Force could bully and coerce into a signed confession. 

No rich people ever go to jail here, and the Red Bull heir will be no exception to this rule. 

They don't have to be 'rich', just 20K and/or White Opponent.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:03 AM, Ron19 said:

Something is not adding up with this comment.

Besides, he also turned in to the police to defend in court, so the immigration police have no authority to prevent him from leaving.

Probably the Immigration officer refer to khun Boss' lawyers turned up (or gave message to the Court) and stated, that khun Boss is not ready to meet in the Court; and khun Boss is busy with business abroad; and khun Boss feeling ill in Singapore; and...

On 5/3/2017 at 2:57 PM, farang1979 said:

I'll give Thai Visa the benefit of the doubt and say that the story has been written by someone who doesn't have a perfect grasp of English.

That said it is a strange, subjective comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

ThaiVisa didn't 'write' the story, it's repeated from another news agency Thai PBS. 

A person was killed!

Not a serious case!

The accused has been and still is, ducking and diving. Why?

No warrant was issued for his arrest, so legally, he did nothing wrong. So why would Thai immigration refuse him exit from the Kingdom!

If Immigration were ordered to detain the accused, they would have.

If anything, the Police should have issued a warrant for his arrest, a long time ago!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

"The bureau chief made clear that Thong Lor police who handled Boss case did not ban him leaving the country because his offence is not serious but just a reckless driving case. "

So that is what he thinks of one of his own? Or is Boss one of his own? I am confused. His fellow officer was killed when Boss's car collided with his motor bike and this was not serious enough. Why not a 20 million baht assured Boss not leave the country? and if he did the money went straight to the officers family.

My concern became apparently clumsy presentation of justification arguments and an astounding interpretation of legal matters by the Bureau Chief. If someone is told they have to stand up in front of media - an open public forum - you'd think someone in authority, or at least planning overall strategy given the sensitivities involved, would have reviewed the proposed material or "message" that was required, before giving approval.

Maybe a problem with how statements have been interpreted in the post?  Still, one would think the main messages could not have been distorted too much? All sorts of cross-cultural possibilities to be considered as well.

On Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 2:20 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So that's how the killing of a policeman is classified here???

And BTW, it's not just reckless driving, but reckless driving causing death with a potential 10 year maximum jail sentence if convicted.

But, technically, it would seem the Immigration chief was correct. There was no arrest warrant out for the guy at the time he left the country (though there should have been).  The authorities/police never confiscated the guy's passport (though they should have). And as far as I can tell, they never even asked for or obtained a court order that would have barred him from leaving the country at any time since the crash.

The entire system over the past 5 years has done its darndest to try to get this thing to fade away in obscurity. And it would seem, they're still trying to accomplish that end.

Give them some more time, "practice makes perfect" 

On Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 2:31 PM, the guest said:

Thailand really is a laughing stock of the world. How on earth could you take this country seriously, when the authorities behave in such a childish manner?

Childish - NO, ill-informed, stupid, useless, farcical, corrupt, inept, but not childish. 

On Thursday, May 04, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Ron19 said:

Would love to know how many satangs changed hands.

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

Probably more than you could ever see in your lifetime. 

I don't blame Boss for what he's doing. He made a mistake and is doing what everyone else does when arrested - trying to get the least possible sentence. He has access to lots of money and has influential friends.

Who here WOULDN'T use an influential friend to keep them out of jail?

Who here WOULDN'T try to keep their wayward son out of jail?

I drove drunk twice and could easily have ended up like this guy but for the grace of God.

People here want to give him a harsher penalty just for being born into a wealthy family. It wasn't his choice. 

I really don't believe anyone here would voluntarily help the police to put them in jail. Would they?

33 minutes ago, ThaiCitizen said:

I don't blame Boss for what he's doing. He made a mistake and is doing what everyone else does when arrested - trying to get the least possible sentence. He has access to lots of money and has influential friends.

Who here WOULDN'T use an influential friend to keep them out of jail?

Who here WOULDN'T try to keep their wayward son out of jail?

I drove drunk twice and could easily have ended up like this guy but for the grace of God.

People here want to give him a harsher penalty just for being born into a wealthy family. It wasn't his choice. 

I really don't believe anyone here would voluntarily help the police to put them in jail. Would they?

Some of this is actually hitting the nail right on the head. We all like corruption when it benefits us or is in our price range. The amount of posters on this forum caught for DWI and pay small amounts to buy out isn't small. 

I also don't blame "Boss" for what he is doing but at the same time there should be appropriate mechanisms to stop him from doing so. In Thailand there is no functional system of checks and balances. 

The number one thing that needs to change is warrants should not expire for offenses involving life and death. In fact no warrant of any kind should ever expire once issued. This is such a contradiction to what statutes of limitations are meant to do.

Once you have been caught if you run you have not answered charges. It is an outstanding issue. There should be no limit for this. However if I have enough money I would lay low and do my ten years in Belize. 

The Boss is doing nothing wrong if his legal strategy involves running the clock down. What should happen in this case if you are charged and found to abscond is a penalty equal to 1.5 times the original sentence is issued that never expires. 

So what happens if under my ideas the "boss" evades justice and never comes back? All I can say is he isn't a danger to anybody in Thailand anymore and that is a result. He can face the charges or stay away forever but he shouldn't be allowed to come back in ten years.

Edited by anotheruser