Somtam slowly killing many Thais, cancer center says

37 minutes ago, clockman said:

Small amount compared with road deaths. Which seems not to concern anybody?

What's more important to Thais....not being able to eat Thai food or wearing a helmet? 55

Edited by DavisH
  • Like 1

He's not the same doctor who was promoting playing soccer if one was feeling an urge to have sex ...is he?

Thai girls tell me that eating somtam is one of their ways of losing weight...it has a laxative effect...:coffee1:

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

My wife giving up somtam? Never!

After reading to many horror stories, I made the move to pla ra free somtum and when the wife is with me she modifies her preference so we can share.  As they say "somtum eat alone, mai aroi".

I agree that parasites in the body which come from eating under-cooked food cause cancer, and the HPV virus also causes cancer.  "bubba" was correct to point out that the two have no connection to each other.

HPV is the virus that causes genital warts. It is a sexually transmitted disease.  You cannot catch it from sharing food, toilet seats, whatever.  You can only get it from sharing something else ;)
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/infectious-agents/hpv/hpv-and-cancer-info.html

HPV should not have been mentioned in an article focusing on parasites acquired by eating under-cooked food.

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Reminds me of a friend at university back in the day.

After a night out we'd all head to a local curry place and order whatever. This guy had a thing about eating the hottest thing on the menu, didn't give a toss what it was so long as it was hot.

Mostly he'd get a vindaloo, but one evening after we been a rather long session he was a bit more belligerent than usual and started mouthing off that vindaloos weren't that hot and we were all pussies-or words to that effect. The staff [I'm guessing] took offence at this and told him there was an especially hot curry called a tindaloo, but was too hot for most people.

Man, he went off on a big one and started demanding he be given this. The staff eventually agreed and walked away with huge grins on their faces.

When the dish finally arrived, I swear it was curry sauce, mystery meat and more chillies than I've ever seen in my life. The thing glowed. You could feel the heat coming off it [well maybe that's just my imagination but that's how it felt]

My mate started eating it and immediately began sweating like a dog in heat. He was dripping and his whole face took on a bright red shine. He was clearly in pain but wouldn't admit it and ate the whole thing [well most of it]. Kept on claiming it was ok though.

The next day was hell for him and he spent most of the day in the toilet.

Funny thing is, he never went to that curry place again. I'd like to say he calmed down a bit on the hotter the better shtick, but he never did.

He was a bit of <deleted> if I'm honest though. 

Tell him to try the one chip challenge coated in Carolina reaper pepper. That will rock his world.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Tell him to try the one chip challenge coated in Carolina reaper pepper. That will rock his world.

Got two ghost pepper plants growing at the moments, had eleven seeds, only two made it to plants. Waiting for the first chillies for others to try.

For sure not me, over a million on the hot scale, thai chillies don't come near them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tonray said:

Plain Somtam is fine...it is the Pla Ra and the fermented raw mudcrabs  with liver parasites that cause the cancer. My GF's dad passed away from liver cancer due to parasitic infection. It is somewhat common is ISSAN where traditions dictate that they must have their daily dose of Pla Ra.

It is common, but it is getting rarer. Most households these days cook Pla Ra, and many, inc my missus buy it ready to go, pre cooked in a bottle. Not cheap, but she reckons the stuff is high quality and safe.

I've personally always had the odd som tam dabble. Can't beat it with a handful of sticky rice and a good bit of barbequed chicken...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I wouldn't think there would be iota of evidence, or, that there is any science at all to back this good doctors statements....with 60,000 people dying annually from cancer of varying forms, to blame somtam, seems a rather off the cuff statement.

Detection methods of determining disease has improved greatly as have treatments......maybe more people are taking advantage of the 30 baht scheme....whatever, there a host of reasons.

For those who don't believe the good doctor here is just one of many articles that will put you off raw fish of any type: Apparently it's a very slow, painful death.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7982745

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ezzra said:

This doctor should really look at the big picture, what kill Thai people

now more than ever is the rich processed westernized food diet

they never partake  back in the old days in the villages and rural life....

Or maybe young Rich people driving fast cars ,

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

was

The cancer from under cooked fish that he is talking about is cholangiocarcinoma. My father-in-law died from it two years ago. It's common in Isan with Khon Kaen pretty much being the epicenter for it. But it's not limited to warm regions, as it is also common in Siberia. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholangiocarcinoma

• Like 1