What’s Missing at this Table?

Inspire

What’s Missing at this Table?

Orlando Barton

EPTAS-70-815x1024.jpg

Look at this picture closely and tell me what’s missing.  It was taken at an MK Suki restaurant in Bangkok. 

For those unfamiliar with the MK franchise, please allow me to enlighten you.  MK is a classic Sukiyaki restaurant.   The dining room floor is populated mostly with large family sized tables with a big electric bowl in the middle used for making sukiyaki, a soup that each table customizes with their own ingredients.  Patrons order dozens of ingredients from the menu and slowly add them to the boiling water until it’s just right.  Then everyone scoops out portions into their individual bowls adding different kinds of sauces to taste.  It’s good, healthy and you can feed an army for very little money.

Thai families love the MK brand and on any given afternoon you’ll witness their business modal in action.  This picture was taken around dinner time and features a table full of middle-aged Thai ladies who appear to be enjoying a full-on MK Suki-session.

So what do notice that’s missing?  One lady is missing her shoes, but that just kind of goes with the whole MK atmosphere.  Nobody just pops into MK and is out in 20 minutes.  Normally it’s a marathon meal that stretches over a couple hours, so kicking of the shoes is expected.  Nobody appears to be drinking alcohol, so maybe that’s what’s missing.  No Chang or Leo or 100 Pipers; just that complimentary strange tasking ice tea they serve only at MK.  My ex-wife called it “dishwater tea”.  Nobody at this table appears to be shy or coy about eating.  In fact, I watched them go at it with reckless abandon for a good 45 minutes.  Perhaps a certain amount of “reserve” or “decorum” are what’s missing.  Is that it?

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/whats-missing-table/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-05-14

7 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Not so sure about "very little money" 

Ask most locals and they will say " pang mak"

Not particularly expensive, but not cheap either.  Usually figure B200-300 per person.  They do seem to have very fresh and good quality ingredients, unlike a lot of the fixed price BBQ joints.

6 minutes ago, WhiteRedPurple said:

MK IS NOT A SUKIYAKI RESTAURANT. Completely different animal.

MK is taken from the Chinese Steamboat.

Get your facts right before posting lies  Mr.

Beat me to the punch,  in Cantonese it is call excuse the spelling,  Da bean low,  Chinese or copy from Hong Kong,  Not lies, just uninform, Asian they all look alike thing?  Roast pork best in my opinion here in Thailand and the duck (boneless) although not a big fans is great there too.

Tough to see what is actually missing since you would think after 45 minutes he could have gotten a top shot of the table?

Edited by thailand49

4 hours ago, JoePai said:

Slim good looking Thai girls ?

..."Nobody just pops into MK and is out in 20 minutes.  Normally it’s a marathon meal that stretches over a couple hours"

They were.

If you click on the URL for the article it tells you there are no mobile phones. But I wouldn't put my cell phone on a hot pot table with all that steam and sauce and soup everywhere, probably I'd put it on the bench next to me. But he's saying they didn't use one for the duration of the meal. But then they are older generation so it's not as important to them.

Bit of a click bait bullshit story I guess from whatever online magazine it is.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Mobile phones

Indeed.  That was my first reaction upon seeing the photo.  No 'smart' phones.  Maybe it is because they are older, because it seems the younger generation can't do anything without the phones in hand.  Two smartly dressed young ladies sat down next to me in a coffee shop a while back and proceeded to take selfies and look at their phones all through their coffee and cakes.  They weren't taking photos of each other but of themselves; barely looked up at their companion for a full fifteen minutes and were still at it when I left.