Foreigner in lucky escape as wall falls on him on footpath in Bangkok

webfact

Foreigner in lucky escape as wall falls on him on footpath in Bangkok

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- A foreigner had a lucky escape after a large chunk of wall from a demolition site fell on him as he was taking a Saturday morning stroll.

The man - aged about 45 - was hit on the upper arm and shoulder but was not seriously hurt.

Whoever did it refused to come out and take responsibility.

Sanook quoted a man called Chaiyo Patrachai who said he was driving on his way to work in the Asoke area when he saw the chunk of concrete masonry fall on the visitor to Thailand.

He stopped and went over to help but they were unable to summon anyone from the demolition site to take responsibility.

Chaiyo said that the masonry had fallen off a backhoe onto the sidewalk.

Sanook reported that there is only a light fence protecting passersby and no netting in the area. There is also no signage to warn of work in progress.

They said that the injured man, who was not named, declined hospital treatment and went back to his hotel.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-22

responsibility would equal payment of  money and loss of face, the reason no one would go out and take responsibility. Company in charge or the demolition needs to be taken to the cleaners for this, doing things cheaply to bulk up profits instead of ensuring the safety of people outside the demolition area

Edited by seajae

Some 10 years ago, my then Thai girlfriend's father was waiting at an intersection to cross the road when a young Thai motorcycle rider lost control of his bike and came off the bike.

The runaway bike continued across the intersection and struck my girlfriend's father.

He was 70 years old at the time, and walked with a cane until he passed away about 5 years later from natural causes.

You never know, do you..

"A foreigner had a lucky escape after a large chunk of wall from a demolition site fell on him as he was taking a Saturday morning stroll."

He got what he deserved for ignoring the "Area under construction", and "Danger: Beware of falling debris" signs, and then crossing the protective barriers around the construction area, which were made more noticeable by the flashing warning lights. 

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: Sorry, I forgot what country we are in. 

Edited by jaltsc

I live near the new BTS line that's currently under construction near Kaset University. I have grown eyes in the back of my head. Always aware of my surroundings. I try to put a positive spin on it by pretending I'm Indiana Jones jumping over holes and ducking under bars. 

If you're a tourist here with very little idea of how things work, learn quickly. Can be an absolute deathtrap out there. 

4 hours ago, seajae said:

responsibility would equal payment of  money and loss of face, the reason no one would go out and take responsibility. Company in charge or the demolition needs to be taken to the cleaners for this, doing things cheaply to bulk up profits instead of ensuring the safety of people outside the demolition area

Sounds like the modus operendi here. 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would assume that if the masonry had fallen off a Backhoe, that the Backhoe driver should probably be an appropriate person to point the finger at.

Probably already left the scene like a rat up a drainpipe.

5 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"A foreigner had a lucky escape after a large chunk of wall from a demolition site fell on him as he was taking a Saturday morning stroll."

He got what he deserved for ignoring the "Area under construction", and "Danger: Beware of falling debris" signs, and then crossing the protective barriers around the construction area, which were made more noticeable by the flashing warning lights. 

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: Sorry, I forgot what country we are in. 

There could almost be a sign at each airport advising visitors that the country has no idea of safety, and it's every many/woman for him/her self.

eg  open manhole covers for kids to fall in, swimming holes with no life lines and hardly anyone can swim anyway, footpaths broken, power/phone cables hanging down at head height, zebra crossings are mainly decorative, and if you make it inside, nothing's earthed anyway.

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Thai for "taking responsibility " is " mai pen rai " or so I am led to believe !

There are (or used to be)exceptions.  About 20 years ago, I had gotten onto a private bus and started to walk back to get a seat when the driver slammed on the brakes after going about 3 meters, I fell backwards, broke my wrist after being back in the Kingdom for only 16 hours.  The bus company (no longer in business or taken over by BMT) wound up paying all my medical expenses plus got a check for 50,000 bt from them.

Guess I am lucky.

This comes under Health and Safety,,,In Thailand there is no such thing,,,you got to look after yourself ,if not you're done like a Dinner,Like I said before ,,There are Two ways to do things , That's the Thai way and the Right way, That's all folks   (:

interesting to speculate on what might have happened if he was seriously hurt; some variation of mai pen rai from the contractor/construction co; and you can be sure that his wake-up call for them will result in absolutely no change in their behavior

2 hours ago, masuk said:

There could almost be a sign at each airport advising visitors that the country has no idea of safety, and it's every many/woman for him/her self.

eg  open manhole covers for kids to fall in, swimming holes with no life lines and hardly anyone can swim anyway, footpaths broken, power/phone cables hanging down at head height, zebra crossings are mainly decorative, and if you make it inside, nothing's earthed anyway.

That would be a great idea, many visitors from Western countries have no idea about the dangers they're going to deal with in Thailand.

We expect our governments to protect us but in Thailand you can't rely on anything at a ll.  Tall tourists best wear a crash helmet all day.

1 hour ago, snooky said:

There are (or used to be)exceptions.  About 20 years ago, I had gotten onto a private bus and started to walk back to get a seat when the driver slammed on the brakes after going about 3 meters, I fell backwards, broke my wrist after being back in the Kingdom for only 16 hours.  The bus company (no longer in business or taken over by BMT) wound up paying all my medical expenses plus got a check for 50,000 bt from them.

Guess I am lucky.

You Certainly Were A Lucky guy !!