PM Prayut warns that election may be postponed if there is no peace in the country

webfact

PM warns that election may be postponed if there is no peace in the country

2305001.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha indicated that election might not be held in accordance with the political roadmap if there is no peace and order in the country.

“How can election be held if there are still bombings and the use of war weapons, conflicts among the people and the same old problems?” the prime minister asked, adding: “I cannot dictate myself; everyone must cooperate to advance toward the same destination.

He asked the people not to let the government to set everything. “I used to say that as quick as possible and if that cannot be done, the people must say so. I cannot force everybody to walk toward democracy,” he said.

When asked by a report can the government set a definite date of the election, the prime minister shot back asking why it is necessary to be that specific. He, however, stated that the roadmap didn’t specify the exact date for the election but he assured that everything must go in accordance with the roadmap.

But he noted that the election must be postponed because the government had to take care of the cremation for the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Asked whether he would contest the election, he said that he didn’t know yet.

The prime minister warned provincial administrations not to expect that they could get big amounts of budget for the development of their respective provinces because the government doesn’t know where to get the money to meet all their wishes.

He said that the government would set the priority about which villages are in need of help first as in the way the government is helping the poor people.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-warns-election-may-postponed-no-peace-country/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-24

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, two things. First, all the things he mentioned are happening on his watch, so how is that different from when he wasn't in charge?  Second, this has all the scenarios of some movies where the people in charge keep creating incidents, news, etc.  that justifies them being in power.  Does the move V for Vendetta ring a bell?

Didn't have to wait very long for this information. Most people predicted it immediately after hearing about the bomb.

And how exactly do you postpone something that isn't scheduled?

Edited by canuckamuck

The rest of the world seems to manage to hold elections, regardless of what is going on in their country, so I fail to see why Thailand is incapable of doing the same.

Thailand is incapable: it's unwilling :mellow:

18 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

great they way he plays the road map off as being the boss and that he is following it while he is actually making the road map up as he goes along.

If he is actually following the supposed road map, one would have to suggest he can't read it very well and is going round in circles, hopelessly lost.

42 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

The rest of the world seems to manage to hold elections, regardless of what is going on in their country, so I fail to see why Thailand is incapable of doing the same.

Because elections are not in the cards.

It's the old carrot and donkey bit.

So the election that never was is being postponed.

• The second coming didn't materialize - election postponed
  • It rained when I ordered it not to - election postponed
  • The tooth fairy didn't deliver - election postponed

Maybe the Brits should follow suit and cancel their election

If the PM has failed (by his own admission - which is what this statement is) to bring peace, reconciliation and change to Thailand after 3 years in power, then he has failed. If he has failed, then he needs to step aside (to paraphrase the good general - 'to self- sacrifice for the good of the nation'), and let a better / another person try to succeed.

4 minutes ago, inactiveposter said:

Doesn't know where to get money for the villages? Hmmm....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Didn't seem to have a problem getting money for submarines for the Military ! Priorities seem a little wrong !!!!

Quick question; do we actually know who did the bomb? I thought we still weren't sure and were merely speculating.

If it was southern insurgents, might it be an idea that the PM steps down, as this is pretty much unprecedented for Bangkok. 

I know there aren't going to be any elections for as long as they can get away with it, but might it be an idea to not dismiss the elections until we know who's behind this?

Meanwhile the government are doling out money to poor people all over Thailand.

Before elections can take place Prayuth and friends will form a political party ' The unity party ' (or something equally glib ) and hope to capitalize on their populist hand outs by getting the poor vote. It's been done before.

' The unity party ' will of course win the election by fair means or foul. But in the unlikely event they don't, some new Suthep like stooge will take to the streets, foment unrest and ' justify ' another intervention.

Not conspiracy theory .......we've read the script before.