"Witnesses" for Yellow (Tabien Baan) Book?

I'm trying to get a Yellow Tabien Baan issued from the Amphoe where I live in Bangkok.

I've been informed by the Amphoe that I need bring my passport, my work permit, Chanote , ID card of the owner, existing blue book, and two passport photos of me,. In addition, I' m also to bring two witnesses ---who must be Thai nationals--- for the purpose of testifying who I am. For clarification, I asked whether officers at the Amphoe could act as "witnesses". I was told that such persons would not witness any signing of documents, but need to support who I am.

Has anyone ever heard of such absurd requirements for "witnesses"? I'm especially surprised about the nationality requirement, as Thai law not normally has such provision for witnesses. As there needs to be an appointment (weekdays only) for this process ---which apparently can only be booked one day in advance--- it is pretty much impossible for me to meet these demands.

I guess, I cannot go to a different Amphoe . What to do?

Edited by Morakot

9 hours ago, Morakot said:

I guess, I cannot go to a different Amphoe . What to do?

What they tell you to do...........your find that's the easiest way to live in Asia...I just paid 2 guys working on a building site near me to sign off on it............:coffee1:

Edited by oxo1947
  • Like 2

Got mine a few years ago (Nongprue, Pattaya). Went with wife and two witnesses but they accepted my wife as witness so one of them wasn't needed. Both were questioned about me to establish we had known each other for a period of time - when/where we met, how long I had been in Thailand, previous employment etc.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input. Very helpful!

Yes of course, I know lots of Thai people, but the logistics involved for what I assumed a more or less "simple" registration process has caught me by suspire, despite having been living here for years.

similarly, when i opened my first bank account here as a non tourist, i had to have a thai 'sponsor' there at that time; strong insinuation that without that sponsor i would not have been able to open that type of account; that sponsor's name does NOT go on the account itself; sponsor has no power over the account and the sponsor can be changed at a later date ; goofy requirement

28 minutes ago, Morakot said:

Thanks everyone for your input. Very helpful!

Yes of course, I know lots of Thai people, but the logistics involved for what I assumed a more or less "simple" registration process has caught me by suspire, despite having been living here for years.

A friend of mine told me to always remember this when in Thailand "nothing is easy". Once you resign yourself to this reality your stay will be much more pleasant.

In the USA the phase that made everything make sense was "people are stupid", but nothing is easy works better for Thai Visa and you will never be accused of Thai bashing.

I also was asked for a witness when applied for the yellow house book at city hall Pattaya.
Extreme luck struck that day: an expat friend with his Thai wife just walked though the door at that time, he-he. My friends wife was interviewed and that was that.