Two attempted rip-offs last week !

xerostar

For members who don't like detailed stories (or War and Peace) please go to the next topic ! 

I must look like an easy touch for rip-off merchants.

Last week I went to Big C in Ramkhamhaeng Rd Bang Kapi.  Purchased items to value of 412 baht.

I gave the cashier a 1000 baht note plus the 12 baht in coin she took the money and handed me the receipt.

She wei'd, smiled and said "Kap Khun Ka" and turned around as though the transaction was complete.

I stood there incredulous ..

I put my hand out, palm up, and said "I gave you nung pan ...  hoch loy baht, change please!",  

(obviously not knowing the Thai expression .. but I will make a point of learning it now ..)

She smiled and said something to her neighbor cashier who had witnessed to the exchange. 

She barely acknowledged my request but proceeded to find 600 baht from the till and handed it to me without so much as an apology.

It was not so much the money I could have lost, but trying to prove that I had given her a 1000 baht note could have been difficult. 

I was offended to think someone would be so audacious to try that one on me in that normally "trusted environment".

Two days later I hired a car in Udon Thani. I made the booking online.

I was surprised that the usual firms like Hertz was booked out so I got this independent operator.

I was greeted at the airport exit with a sign with my name on it.

I was led to the car park where the boss man had the paper work ready.

He showed me around the car and pointed out small dents or scratches that had already been noted on his form.

He took photos of my passport and International driver's licence.

It was agreed I was hiring the car for 3 days at 1000 baht per day and a deposit of 10,000 baht was required.

He asked me when I was returning to Australia which I thought was a friendly question .. (not)

He explained everything in good English and got me to sign the paperwork.

The light was dim and without glasses I could hardly see where to sign.

He explained it was required to return the car in clean condition otherwise I'd be charged for cleaning. 

(it's normally included but I thought no big deal ..)

He said if I returned the car one hour early he would have it cleaned for free (?)

I handed over 13,000 cash and he handed me the keys.

3 days later I had booked my flight back to BKK for a 4.15 pm departure. (Latest check in is 4.05 pm)

I called the guy up about 2.00 pm and told him to collect the car for cleaning. I'd already topped up the gas tank.

It was then I  noticed on my copy of the form, the "end date" of the contract was 5th June? (which is my departure date from Thailand)

I left my luggage in the boot and waited at Big C near the airport.

His staff turned up with car with only minutes to spare for late check in and drove me to the airport (about 3 Km away)

I got my luggage out and said "Where is my deposit please" 

The lady staff member handed me 3000 baht ..

I stood there incredulous ..

I said "NO, The deposit was 10,000 baht, I need 7000 baht more !"

She used her phone to talk to the boss.

She said the boss had credited me 7000 baht for my next trip to Udon (because I had signed up for a weeks hire!)

Now it was "last call for passengers .." for my flight.

I was under extreme pressure !

I thought "he is NOT going to get away with this ripoff !" 

I said to the lady "If you don't return the full deposit immediately I'm going to call the police !"

She had another chat on the phone and asked me to wait ..

She returned a minute later with 7000 baht ...

I had to run to the check-in but greatly relieved that the threat of police action had done the trick.

This is probably not a unique story but I hope it will help others to avoid this type of trap !

I have never experienced such a gross attempt of cheating at any cashier in 14 years in Thailand, but that does not mean it cannot happen. If it is not bothering you, I would not hesitate to go to the store manager and report the case. Easy to find the store manager at a BigC, usually they even have their name cards available at each cashier. If this thing happened more than once, the store manager certainly will take action and remove the culprit from her/his working place, and right so.

Well ....  welcome to Thailand.   I'm sure it's not the first time some have tried to take you for a ride and it probably won't be the last. 

Good that you got your deposit back.   I have been here 16 years and never had an issue such as yours, I'm not sure why but maybe they don't feel comfortable trying that on me or I just ensure things are done correct first so no errors can happen.

I don't like thai bashing as Thailand is a wonderful place and attempted cheating can happen anywhere all over the world and it does.

So best just move on and forget your bad experience with the car rental, not worth losing sleep over, you'll have a heart attack if you worry to much about that.

Never experienced that especially big c. And rental car companies, I mostly use big companies like Hertz and they don't accept cash. Everything is transacted through credit card including deposit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, THAILIBAN said:

I have never experienced such a gross attempt of cheating at any cashier in 14 years in Thailand, but that does not mean it cannot happen.

I had a similar experience at Makro. I was given change of 500B instead of the 1000B I had handed over. When I queried the guy just gave me the extra 500B without comment or thought.

One would expect there to be CCTV cameras over each till that might show the denominations of notes tended. And failing that one can always demand a till check which should show if the till is over by the amount in question. Of course a till check would also involve checking the pockets of the cashier.

26 minutes ago, steven100 said:

So best just move on and forget your bad experience with the car rental, not worth losing sleep over, ....

No, that's the Thai way and that's precisely what you shouldn't do. If people just forget about it these thieves will carry on scamming people indefinitely, which of course is exactly what happens here. Endless repeats of the same scams by the same crooks.

All thieves and scammers should be denounced loudly and reported to the police, the local city hall, the media, the office of consumer protection and anyone else who cares to listen. There is no excuse for it and it should never be covered up. Anyone who does cover it up or ignore it is just as guilty and responsible as the perpetrator.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

No, that's the Thai way and that's precisely what you shouldn't do. If people just forget about it these thieves will carry on scamming people indefinitely, which of course is exactly what happens here. Endless repeats of the same scams by the same crooks.

All thieves and scammers should be denounced loudly and reported to the police, the local city hall, the media, the office of consumer protection and anyone else who cares to listen. There is no excuse for it and it should never be covered up. Anyone who does cover it up or ignore it is just as guilty and responsible as the perpetrator.

ok,  well you kindly write a few letters to all those departments and make a few phone calls and send some emails to the right authorities and get the names of who is responsible .......  and I'll go and have a beer and relax ....

The adage Emptor caveat strongly comes to play here, and if any solace to

you, cheatings and attempted cheating is practiced all over the world

and I dare say that Thailand is NOT the worst county at it....

"The light was dim and without glasses I could hardly see where to sign.

He explained"

That tells me all i need to know you signed a document and had no idea what you were signing based on his explanation basically your fault.

18 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

He explained"

That tells me all i need to know you signed a document and had no idea what you were signing based on his explanation basically your fault.

I was going to say this also.  Something seems strange about what he said happened.  

But technically, he violated the contract he signed by returning the car early.

Maybe the shop owner could have rented it to other customers at a higher price, especially since all the other agencies were out of cars.

As far a Big C I am sure it happens, but in most cases I believe it is just a mistake. 

It has never happened to me here, but has in the USA.

So sorry, my experience is most Thai people are pretty honest.  But, I know some on here seem to hate them as a bunch of dishonest crooks.

Edited by bkk6060

It was a regular occurrence at a small local hardware shop,the

owner trying to short change me,she would just smile and handover

the correct change when I challenged her,so in the end I used to

wave the 500THB or 1000THB over my head before handing it 

to her,both laughing as she knew what she was trying to do,but

so did I.

Always check my change at Makro,Supermarkets,because I always

write down my purchases and add total,so if it comes to say 2,352 THB

I know exactly how much change to expect,over the years there have

been quite a few times they have tried to overcharge,varies between 10 THB,

and as much as 537 THB,Makro, they can sometimes,click an item twice 

in the trolley,by accident or on purpose ,who knows.

regards worgeordie

55 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

He explained"

and that's what I thought... obviously he is elderly, as such ... the two incidents were due to the perpetrators realizing an elderly gent, that gave them more courage to try something on.

Think the money thing was a mistake.  I have had too much money given to me many times, also people forget to charge me for things.. so I have to call them back to tell them.

I have also been short changed a few times....  I learnt the problem was that the cashiers sometimes were not that bright.  Giving them small change to round it up.. to get less coins back, for example really confused a lot of them and that is when the incorrect change would be given. 

Now I just hand over the notes and don't try to mess about with helping them out.... and since then always the correct money back.. just heavy pockets full of coins!!! 

The first case about the cashier is almost standard at money exchanges at the airport, arrival. They check the customer to see if they are very tired or in a hurry. Then give 500 to 1500 bt less. Most people just take the money and leave without counting. When they get caught the behavior is the same as the cashier.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, boike said:

The first case about the cashier is almost standard at money exchanges at the airport, arrival. They check the customer to see if they are very tired or in a hurry. Then give 500 to 1500 bt less. Most people just take the money and leave without counting. When they get caught the behavior is the same as the cashier.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

In all my years traveling in all the diffrent airports and vountries ive used not once ever have i changed money in a money exchange booth. Why would you at a crap rate. Always had enough local ackers to get me through till i could find a good exchange place.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Gotta say, I've been just as likely to get too much change back as not enough.

absolutely, i have been given too much change (and returned it as i always check my change regardless of which country i'm in) many more times than too little change. also i don't dress or behave like a tourist which to be honest doesn't help wherever you may be.

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

In all my years traveling in all the diffrent airports and vountries ive used not once ever have i changed money in a money exchange booth. Why would you at a crap rate. Always had enough local ackers to get me through till i could find a good exchange place.

that's experience, or common sense, i'm the same, a little preparation can go a long way to preventing hassles.

7 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

You should try it. Unless you go into Superrich or Vasu in town, no exchange place or bank anywhere in Thailand will beat Superrich in Swampy on rates. A little preparation goes a long way. :wink:

5 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

You should try it. Unless you go into Superrich or Vasu in town, no exchange place or bank anywhere in Thailand will beat Superrich in Swampy on rates. A little preparation goes a long way. :wink:

But as i live here i wouldnt need to I found a few who give great rates when i did need it back when.

LOL, right, I've had the feeling a few times early on here when paying a bill and the waitress/staff wai and say thank you.  Can have a ring of finality to it, especially if they do the over the top bowing and scraping act.  But they've always returned with the change.  Can't say I've ever gotten the feeling at BigC or similar retail place though.

Far as the rental car contract, right, you didn't check but I also get why you might not have if you thought things were going smoothly and the guy's English was pretty good.  Dunno, maybe if things are going too smoothly, that's a reason to pull 'em up by the short hairs and make sure.  Could be an intentional diversion to put us at ease and slip one under the rug. 

I guess that's one (of many) nice thing about having a wife here, at least for me.  I don't get a thrill or cultural satisfaction out of dealing with Thais for business or routine matters.  I let the wife deal with most things now and am still disappointed at how simple, routine tasks can get so fk'ed up. 

Edited by 55Jay

Like most posted in response to the OP, I too have never experienced being rip-off'd by anyone in Thailand in my 10+ years. In fact not too long ago a gal at Tesco gave me 100bht too much and as I was putting the money in my pocket I saw it and walked back and gave it back to her. I know all to well that these checkers will be docked for the loss or in some cases lose their job. Honestly when you get into the regular consumer segment (Big C, Makro, Tesco etc) I never hear of it.

Now if you get off into some "Tourist markets" or are in a foreigner target rich environment you should be aware. But lets be real that common sense should apply traveling anywhere as a tourist. Let's also say that not all change mistakes are Rip Offs. Many, if likely not all, are just mistakes hence why they pay it no mind and give the difference back.

9 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I guess that's one nice thing about having a wife here, at least for me.  I don't get a thrill or cultural satisfaction out of dealing with Thais for business or routine matters.  I let the wife deal with most things now and am still disappointed at how simple, routine tasks can get so fk'ed up. 

Yeah, My wife checks all receipts for us when out. I used to do it and now she does. Typically if my wife and I go somewhere she seems to jump right in to discuss/question price. I am quite comfortable doing it myself but that's just my wife and her make up. She also is the one that jumps right in at the counter with the phone number to get the discounts. When I go alone I don't care and just move along. I kind of laugh when my wife tries to save 5 or 10 baht  but I never discourage it, I just enjoy the laugh....

About BigC, video camera are everywhere and even Thai are not stupid enough to try to scam you this way. But seems that you need to handle situation with more brain.

About car rent, of course you misunderstood and made te mistake to sign what you couldn't read, so you are of course wrong.

When leaving you had excuse to catch your flight, but when renting the car, what was your ridiculous excuse not to read what you were signing ? no light on your mobile phone ? What else ?

No offense but you are of course the cause of your problems., nobody tried to rip me off within 10 years and it will never happen in this life anywhere in the world.

Regarding the Udon Thani rental car attempted ripoff the OP describes, I had a similar thing happen there a few years back.

I rented a bike and left a 1000 THB deposit and also paid for three days of use.  I returned the bike to the rental place and waited for the proprietor to return.  "She coming soon" said the staff.  I needed to get to the airport and she did not show despite repeated phone calls from me and assurances from her.  Finally I called the Tourist Police and told them the situation.  They asked for her number and called me back 5 minutes later saying she would be there in ten minutes.  Sure enough, ten minutes later she showed up with the deposit.  I then took a tuk tuk to the airport and caught my flight.  An old timer there told me later, "Yep, that's the Udon way.  Rip off the tourist first chance you get"

BTW, that is the ONLY time the Tourist Police have ever helped me.  A couple of experiences in Chiang Mai resulted in them trying to get money out of me.

Edited by mesquite