Why everything is closing early and Bangkok nightlife may never be the same

webfact

43 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I like a good drink and a fun night out from time to time, but I am now retired on a fixed income with a family so I am not into clubbing or  other 'entertainment' but I have no problem if someone else wants to do this.  I grew the son of a bar owner in Ohio who always said 'after 1 AM-the only thing you get are someone else's drunks and problems-so that;s why he closed at that time.

My experience and history has shown me my father was right- many people simply cannot control themselves when drinking and now there is also the drug problem where more and more young people are getting hooked on drugs. I completely understand why the government is trying to bring some order to the 'entertainment' business. I, like others, do not want bars or other type of 'entertainment'  businesses opening in my neighborhood where I have invested in a house and trying to get my children educated. It has been too easy for these type of establishments to set up unregulated businesses that blare music at all hours.

In addition, I don't want my children to have to walk past drunks at 6 AM while on the way to school.    

Being free to do what one wants is great but people also have a responsibility not to infringe on the freedom of other people who may not want to partake in their frivolity. Setting reasonable hours for entertainment makes sense for everyone. The law in most places and most countries states 2 AM is the best closing time and new entertainment places cannot open within certain proximity of schools; places of worship and housing estates. Seems quite reasonable when you think about it.

The law in "most places" is also fair and transparent and everyone understands it. 

But you seem to be conflated different issues. I don't think anyone disagrees with venues in non nightlife areas being regulated with an earlier closing hour but in nightlife areas the rules here are both opaque and constantly changed by numpties. 

I'd further add that the idea that everyone put after 1am is either drunk and looking for trouble or hooked on drugs risks creating the perception that you are in fact just really old. 

I'm in my 50's and was last Friday in a club at 4am - long story as I'd flown in from overseas business trip - and the vast majority of people were having a blast, dancing, drinking etc... Just like you used to do. A few were wobbly of course but they weren't any threat to anyone but themselves (there were stairs to navigate). 

There is a difference between regulating built up residential neighbourhoods and sensible closing hours for clubs. But these differences require common sense, studies, research, thought and planning. Thailand doesn't do most of those things re urban settings. But you need to get past some of your errant and old school beliefs or you will just appear some out of touch old bloke. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

.............................. and the people who think its fine to be inconsiderate towards others!

Where have I, or anyone else, argued in favour of being inconsiderate? It's the biases of those I've labelled old fuddies who presume, without much apparent experience, that all that goes on after midnight is fighting, puking and disruption. Which is simply errant nonsense :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

It is not so much killing the goose as you say but telling the Goose that they have to apply for the correct paperwork and be in line with the regulations for a bar/nightclub and not a restaurant.

Canada had the same issue clubs used to register as restaurants because they served chili and poutine.  Anyone that ordered the stuff was told how old it was and convinced not to eat it but it was available so they could circumvent the smoking laws and taxes.

It is simply the government saying that a bar is a bar a restaurant is a restaurant.

If you look at your own <deleted> country you came from you will see that the rules and licensing is the same.

But a bar isn't a bar and a restaurant isn't a restaurant and hasnt been in a lot of cases for 20+ years. 

I mean the old departed Bed was a restaurant but many people didn't know that and just saw it as a club. 

What's a place like Oskar in Soi 11? The line has been blurred for ages all over the world. The fact that regulatory agencies run by people who can't grasp this struggle to regulate them properly is their problem. But in Thailand it's exacerbated at present by not having any formal channel to be heard because their is no real government in place. Just a whole lot of jobsworths who think following absolute commands is how a civilised society runs. 

Edited by sandrew33
  • Like 1

While I agree with most of your post- I can tell you my ideas are neither 'old' or out of date.  In fact, I am an advocate of making all drugs legal and allowing people to use them in their own home as they desire.  In addition, I am an advocate of letting 'certain' places in 'certain' areas to stay open all night with the proper licenses; to include proper security paid for by the establishment; and the very strict enforcement of  intoxication laws.  The  thrust of my post is that these places be regulated and not allowed near schools etc as I mentioned.

New York City allows serving alcohol until 4 AM; New Orleans  and Las Vegas allows it all night. These cities have ways to regulate it.  However, the fact is that most acting out under intoxication does occur in the wee hours of the morning and most trouble comes withing those hours. I still agree with what my father states- most open bars and clubs past 1 AM are getting someone else's drunks . They have spent most of their money at another place and now that it is closing they are coming to a new place. From a business standpoint- most places will choose to close at around 2 AM.

I , also, in the past and not that long ago have come off a flight from the US in the wee hours to Thailand and headed immediately to a bar or club for late night drinks. I have no problem with it and I can still find a drink in any part of Thailand night or day and at any hour. However, Thailand is changing and regulation is here and will be more forthcoming. I can remember many a time when I have sat on Sukhumvit road at 6 AM finishing up a beer while school kids and Thais are headed for school or work.  Even though I did it- in reality this is not the place where alcohol should be served. However, if someone wants to get a drink at 4 AM and follows the regulations-meaning the place has been licensed for late hours - go for it but don't infringe on my right as a citizen/resident to not be involved. I don't want to see drunks; ladies of the night or other asundry people associated with the 'entertainment' business wandering around my property or inhibiting my children's commute to school. It's called regulation.

Just an added note- I do not think everyone out after midnight is drunk or high on drugs. However, I  grew up around a bar in America and have been a drinker all my life having visited 45 different countries and spent decades in Thailand and  have partaken of the bar and club scene a long time. Ask any policeman or bar owner when most trouble starts- drunken patrons; fights that erupt as a result of intoxication; fights involving arguments over women; or simply drunks who cannot handle their drink-  anyone who  is in the business or attempts to control it will answer truthfully that most of the unwanted activity starts in the wee hours simply because those who would cause trouble have been out all night drinking.

28 minutes ago, sandrew33 said:

Where have I, or anyone else, argued in favour of being inconsiderate? It's the biases of those I've labelled old fuddies who presume, without much apparent experience, that all that goes on after midnight is fighting, puking and disruption. Which is simply errant nonsense :) 

The nature of alcohol and alcoholism is that some percentage of the population can't control what they're going to end up doing after they consume their first drink.  They may stop at one, or they may stop next Thursday.   It's not that all that goes on after midnight is fighting, puking and disruption.  But enough of it does go down to ruin it for everyone, especially those who didn't choose to participate.  

They have rights, too.

Edited by impulse

HAU HIN last few weeks cops come around in trucks & walk down streets in centre at 12.50 am ensuring that all bars are closing.

one night i seen approx 70 cops doing this. 

one night i seen 2 business owners being put into truck . 

another night i was far out of town centre at soi 94   and i was sitting in bar at 12.30 with my friend who worked in bar, cops came to speak with her, i asked why and she said they make sure music is down and they tell her make sure she close at 1am. 

so , maybe pattaya will also see this in future.  

this governemnt seem like they want to wreck this country, let people make money , let people enjoy themselves for funks sake !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenKadz said:

Do not know personally but rumor has it, some venues in Pattaya (Insomnia) stay open til 6-7 AM, and pay the authorities B1 million per month for the privilege.

Pretty sure it's 6am or so sometimes unless things have changed. Then it's off to Flexx for some good hiphop music or if you are Arab, that Arab Marine Disco which opens it's doors around 5am.

Edited by bbi1

55 minutes ago, sandrew33 said:

Plenty of obnoxious drunken <deleted> around much earlier of an evening. Probably the old blokes who started at 4 or 5 chasing balloons and getting half price drinks to stretch their pensions ??

Pattaya's full of those blokes, old dude alcoholic loser who are off their heads before lunchtime or even brunch

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Pattaya's full of those blokes, old dude alcoholic loser who are off their heads before lunchtime or even brunch

Not sure about Pattaya , but the old drunken guys in CM tend to keep themselves to themselves and not bother anyone else .

I sometimes go to bars in the early hours to watch sports , usually local seedy bars ,k nearly everytime when Im watching football, some young drunk guy will come up to me and start slurring , thinks hes being funny by putting on an accent and laugh hysterically to himself, when he speaks a few Thai words, which the bar girl just taught him

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Yeah, like the ones that have to put up with the incessant, pounding noise next door, all the drunks shouting in the streets at all hours when they've finally had enough, and wading through puddles of puke to get out of their neighborhood the next morning.

... moany  old git !

6 hours ago, bbi1 said:

lol it's practically been impossible for me to get mugged on the way home. Bro, I'd say BKK is one of the safest cities to walk around in the middle of the night.

Oh wait, did you mean "get mugged on the way home" as in the police trying to get some cash out of peeps walking along Sukhumvit or from one of those police road blocks?

Haha yes anything's possible with the RTP. But bout 6 yrs ago when just returned from London, I stopped off in Bkk Siam area. Went out drinking walked bac hotel alone then some moped pulled up 2 guys came up to me one with a knife, & robbed me only had bout 500b on me & my spare cheap Nokia mobile lol. No violence or injuries just let them take it.

So bit lucky really. 

Think Pattaya where Ive been living is more dangerous at night especially over railway line on the east side. ?

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

All bars and clubs will be given a playlist of Prayuth's songs and anyone that plays anything different will be summoned for attitude adjustment.

Barry Manilow, Boy George, Wham, Nu Shooz, Aha, Cindy Lauper, Glen Campbell, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, Bobby Brown, and his all time favorite Elton John. He does not listen to Thai music, as he does not understand the cultural significance. He does like some Chinese music, and some Indian song and dance. And K Pop. 

50 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

HAU HIN last few weeks cops come around in trucks & walk down streets in centre at 12.50 am ensuring that all bars are closing.

another night i was far out of town centre at soi 94   and i was sitting in bar at 12.30 with my friend who worked in bar, cops came to speak with her, i asked why and she said they make sure music is down and they tell her make sure she close at 1am. 

this governemnt seem like they want to wreck this country, let people make money , let people enjoy themselves for funks sake !!

There is another point re. closing times.  For Farangs travelling from Europe for holidays, 6/7 hour time difference effectively means for them, closing at 6pm. Surely this will impact on a holiday experience

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Barry Manilow, Boy George, Wham, Nu Shooz, Aha, Cindy Lauper, Glen Campbell, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, Bobby Brown, and his all time favorite Elton John. He does not listen to Thai music, as he does not understand the cultural significance. He does like some Chinese music, and some Indian song and dance. And K Pop. 

Haha! Actually I was referring to the 3 songs he wrote himself to bring happiness back to the people.  I know 3 songs is a short playlist but it could be expanded by adding the songs his twin daughters released some years back when they attempted to launch a pop career.

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

I believe Pattaya has special municipality status, so has flexibility in its rules & regulation

To me the worst thing is that the enforced closing times are  likely happening only because one or a couple of people who have the means to affect the change will personally benefit. I don't believe for a second any public relations boloney about how they are doing it protect the youth or to help straighten the country out or protect Thailand from the wrong kind of tourist or terrorists etc. Things just don't work that way here or anywhere in the world for that matter, selfishness reigns and particularly among those in what would be leadership positions. I also think they well know tourists won't like it and the less tourists the less people there are being nosy and looking around and squawking to the rest of the world about whats going on in Thailand. Did the SLORC in Myanmar want tourists? They certainly didn't come off that way.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

To me the worst thing is that the enforced closing times are  likely happening only because one or a couple of people who have the means to affect the change will personally benefit. I don't believe for a second any public relations boloney about how they are doing it protect the youth or to help straighten the country

You are way to cynical .

OK, in which way will the Thai leaders benefit form closing bars at the legal time ?

The law was changed to midnight closing around Thaksins time to allow him" to control" the industry & was a 

great money spinner for the BIB who used it as a lever to increase "commission " on opening late (& still do).

Since then different levels of the police upper echelon make periodic reshuffles to put pressure on the 

monthly brown paper bags & to just everybody know who is the boss.

the Mistress of Tourism wants you all tucked up in bed by 11 pm on your own so that keeps the Government from helping this vibrant industry from investing too heavily & bringing in vast spending from overseas which in the end will 

destroy this segment of tourism which will move to  more enlightened countries close by .

In other words they want but don't want & can't all agree. Very  Thai

19 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Since then different levels of the police upper echelon make periodic reshuffles to put pressure on the 

monthly brown paper bags & to just everybody know who is the boss.

You are mistaken, because the Army are forcing the RTP to enforce the law regards closing at midnight, now there is no scope to receive bribes to allow bars to stay open .

Police Chiefs who do not enforce the law are replaced

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

You are way to cynical .

OK, in which way will the Thai leaders benefit form closing bars at the legal time ?

So what do you think whoever is closing the bars has in mind if not themselves? 

As to how it could possibly benefit them, off the top of my head, they would likely benefit by getting bars etc to put more money in the brown envelopes. If anything these tightened enforcements never last. You tighten the thumb screws by enforcing earlier closures for awhile and then ask for higher "fees". I imagine its possible they might also do it to cut off funds flowing from the bars into the hands of their political enemies. But I'm just someone who reads news reports I am not an insider I don't know. Maybe your right maybe the cops actually really care, I'm sorry I was cynical.

3 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

So many people so worried about getting a drink after midnight. If you really can't figure out where to get a drink in Thailand- Cambodia and Vietnam are an hour away and have cheaper drinks than Thailand plus other assorted diversions. 

HA true and their is nothing wrong with taking that diversion back to your room for a quiet drink together.