Pattaya set to become the first "MICE" city in Thailand in latest tourism strategy

webfact

Pattaya set to become the first "MICE" city in Thailand in latest tourism strategy

3pm.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

PATTAYA: -- Pattaya is set to become the first recognized "MICE" city in Thailand with the local authority and academics sure that the drive will be the latest boon for tourism as the resort tries to shrug off its seedy image.

Deputy mayor Bantit Khunjak chaired a high level meeting of people from many sectors at the town hall yesterday to launch the MICE strategy.

Reporting the event Pattaya News did not explain the acronym but a Google search reveals it stands for Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Events (or Exhibitions).

Wikipedia describes it as a relative new kind of tourism promoting the items mentioned in the acronym.

Bantit said that Pattaya would be the first MICE city in Thailand and that the designation would help the resort compete on the world stage in holding meetings, conferences and exhibitions.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-01

I worked in this industry for many years and would hate to be the venue marketing manager in Pattaya. The usual format for major upmarket conferences is that you bring your wife/partner, I don't think many of them would like to boast about a freebie trip to "sin city".

Conference organisers need a package that fits the attendees and I can't think of an industry that fits in with the reputation of Pattaya, maybe others can !

The reputation it has is going to take a long time to disappear, maybe never?

Good luck.

2 hours ago, DavoTheGun said:

Khon Kaen is a Mice City, according to the big sign as you get to the City!

According to the Thailand Convention and Exhibition bureau, not only is Khon Kaen a MICE city, it's also a regional MICE hub and also a global one!

1 hour ago, PJPom said:

I worked in this industry for many years and would hate to be the venue marketing manager in Pattaya. The usual format for major upmarket conferences is that you bring your wife/partner, I don't think many of them would like to boast about a freebie trip to "sin city".

Conference organisers need a package that fits the attendees and I can't think of an industry that fits in with the reputation of Pattaya, maybe others can !

The reputation it has is going to take a long time to disappear, maybe never?

Good luck.

I know of medical conferences, WHO ones, and some academic ones that have been held there. But they were couple of years ago. 

I guess Bangkok offers much more for conferences, plus the UN use their own conference center here, so the cost difference would have to be enough to make people move venues and compensate for the additional logistics too.

But with all those hordes of "quality' Russians and Chinese swarming like locusts and furiously spending money everywhere, there won't be room for conference delegates!

21 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

Massive Internal Corruption Environment. Yep. Suits perfectly

Marketability Is Clearly Exaggerated. Money In Closed Envelopes. Most Imminent Condo Emergency. More Inevitable Chinese Excess.

This game is fun!

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

I know of medical conferences, WHO ones, and some academic ones that have been held there. But they were couple of years ago. 

I guess Bangkok offers much more for conferences, plus the UN use their own conference center here, so the cost difference would have to be enough to make people move venues and compensate for the additional logistics too.

But with all those hordes of "quality' Russians and Chinese swarming like locusts and furiously spending money everywhere, there won't be room for conference delegates!

LOL

There's that big conference center on Pratumnak Hill. Great location, nice building. When it was completed I though wow, maybe they will manage to attract a few International Conferences, Symposiums, big scales seminars etc.... although of course the organizers will have to somehow avoid the name Pattaya and pretend that the events are taking place in Jomtien, Nongprue, Banglamung, or Chonburi (which is true in a strictly geograhical and administrative sense).

But that was not to be. Shortly after the place was completed, in 2009, there was one very important conference there, no less than an ASEAN summit, where several Heads of State were invited. Unfortunatey the Red Shirts chose to storm the place, wreaking havoc and forcing the big shots to be evacuated by helicopter. Massive mess, huge loss of face, tremendous waste ... and worst of all, a long lasting negative PR effect : after that, big scale event organizers obviously ruled the place out. It's sad for the local economy, and you're right when you say that the recently anointed 'New Quality Tourists' from China and Russia are not about to replace the kind of people who would have attended these big events.

While the Pratumnak hill venue is decent, PEACH, i think that's what it's called, it is lacking in public transport, you're at the mercy of the Baht bus unless you drive there, other infrastructure like roads and car parking is also lacking if there were to be proper big conferences

The I incentive is already well in operation by the Chinese tour groups, many being businesses that brought out their employee for a 'holiday' 

5 hours ago, nahkit said:

According to the Thailand Convention and Exhibition bureau, not only is Khon Kaen a MICE city, it's also a regional MICE hub and also a global one!

They are ignoring the Universe!

with Billions and Billions of stars out there  the alien market could prove to be a lucrative one.

They could easily be the anal probing hub of the univerce:tongue: 

Edited by sirineou
typo, Univerce is not misspelled I am using the galactic dictionary

PATTAYA has become to big for its britches,the development has now left this city struggling to stay afloat..we were fine with one mall a 2 lane beach rd and 80% less condo development..they now are trying everything to sell this city..but I fear they have over pimped this poor little fishing village...amazing thailand

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Events (or Exhibitions).

Meetings - lots of girls.

Incentives - cheap sex.

Conferences - Town Hall; a hub of committees.

Exhibitions - just off Walking Street.

They'd have to really up their logistics game to be anything but an embarrassment in the quest to host legitimate business conferences of international scale.

Transport to and from the nearest airport?  Getting a receipt from a taxi for expense reimbursement?   200 taxis lined up for the 8:00 PM daily end of the conference?  It could take all night to clear a taxi queue if each one is going to haggle price for 10 minutes.  Safety from ladyboy spiked heels?

Tourists are forgiving if they can meet other "needs", but business travelers aren't.

Pattaya could do it.  But I don't think they have the political will to really change.  Sin and vice money is so much easier.