Advice Needed. Tires. Bridgestone vs Dunlop vs Toyo vs Yokohama

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked the mileage on my 18" DMax tires.

Original Bridgestone: 69,000
First replacement Michelin: 87,000
Current Firestone: 74,000 (good bit left)

Firestone was a big surprise, best riding of the three and half the cost of the Michelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

26 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Just checked the mileage on my 18" DMax tires.

Original Bridgestone: 69,000
First replacement Michelin: 87,000
Current Firestone: 74,000 (good bit left)

Firestone was a big surprise, best riding of the three and half the cost of the Michelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Maybe you've slowed down. :biggrin:

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

They ride much better at 29 than at the 40+ charge they came with.

29psi is what Toyota recommend for the 20" rims Dunlop tyres. My Vigo came with 50psi all round and not the 30 recommended. Discovered the problem as I bounced down the road after I drove out of the garage.

6 hours ago, mogandave said:

They ride much better at 29 than at the 40+ charge they came with.

Thank You. I will get the Mechanic to pump it at 29. Tmr is the day can't wait! read that I might have to install shock absorbers after changing to the 20s'' 

Will see how it drives and feel. If I sense any problems, I will surely be back for more advice.

29psi is what Toyota recommend for the 20" rims Dunlop tyres. My Vigo came with 50psi all round and not the 30 recommended. Discovered the problem as I bounced down the road after I drove out of the garage.

Yeah, the 'tuna came with over 40, 29 is recommended.

Pays to have a decent gauge...

Thank You. I will get the Mechanic to pump it at 29. Tmr is the day can't wait! read that I might have to install shock absorbers after changing to the 20s'' 

Will see how it drives and feel. If I sense any problems, I will surely be back for more advice.

I can't imagine you'd need new shocks, why would you?

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I put heavy duty air shocks on the Vigo.....3 months later they were trashed and fitted stock replacements but were air.....Would have preferred stock oil...

16 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Like I say, I am not as experienced as you guys here. That's why I am reading up and posting here for as much advice as I could. 

I would drive it myself first and see how it feels. If it feels too bumpy and uncomfortable, I would sincerely seek advice again from you guys. 

I know you're going for "looks" but a 40+ year 4x4 guy that has needed it covering all terrain & seasons.....I've never gone for the stupid raised, balloon tire thing; and I've 4 wheeled into places that .003% of people have ever been or seen so I have a more practical answer....

I'd keep as much rubber footprint & cushioning effect on the ground as possible......Keep the smaller diameter rim....

Pick out the slickest, best looking, toughest run you can find & put baddest looking, quietest, best performing all terrain, all season tire after narrowing down your choices.....Have the best of both worlds.....

Personally, me, and a few others preferred Michelins....And much to the chagrin of the other 4x4 owners we'd be the first ones through with little drama, carnage, lost traction, and tire spinning.....After a few runs they got it.....Better to go a little less showy but better equipped.....

Better for the vehicle's longevity, performance, and/due to control - safety......

I'd rather skip a little of the ooo & ahh factor & be safer + very few care about ooo & ahh-ing.....99 out of 100 could give a sh!t/won't even care enough to notice.....

It's more about what's in your head - not theirs.....Might want to educate the wife......

I know you're going for "looks" but a 40+ year 4x4 guy that has needed it covering all terrain & seasons.....I've never gone for the stupid raised, balloon tire thing; and I've 4 wheeled into places that .003% of people have ever been or seen so I have a more practical answer....
I'd keep as much rubber footprint & cushioning effect on the ground as possible......Keep the smaller diameter rim....
Pick out the slickest, best looking, toughest run you can find & put baddest looking, quietest, best performing all terrain, all season tire after narrowing down your choices.....Have the best of both worlds.....
Personally, me, and a few others preferred Michelins....And much to the chagrin of the other 4x4 owners we'd be the first ones through with little drama, carnage, lost traction, and tire spinning.....After a few runs they got it.....Better to go a little less showy but better equipped.....

Better for the vehicle's longevity, performance, and/due to control - safety......

I'd rather skip a little of the ooo & ahh factor & be safer + very few care about ooo & ahh-ing.....99 out of 100 could give a sh!t/won't even care enough to notice.....

It's more about what's in your head - not theirs.....Might want to educate the wife......

While I agree with you, I doubt the OP is interested in 4-wheeling. The 20s he's fitting are road tires.

Traction in mud has more to do with the driver than the tires.

28 minutes ago, mogandave said:

While I agree with you, I doubt the OP is interested in 4-wheeling. The 20s he's fitting are road tires.

Tires carry many different ratings covering all extremes....The OP might want to collect the ratings of the tires he's considering before choosing.....

Admittedly he's not interested in offroad but many of the same fundamentals apply.....Especially water displacement - an important factor in grading out a tire for this climate.....Anything that "locks" in the tread isn't good.....

Tires carry many different ratings covering all extremes....The OP might want to collect the ratings of the tires he's considering before choosing.....
Admittedly he's not interested in offroad but many of the same fundamentals apply.....Especially water displacement - an important factor in grading out a tire for this climate.....Anything that "locks" in the tread isn't good.....

The OP is buying a set of OEM wheels and tires that were likely swopped out for bigger "off-road" tires.

They should be well suited for the local market.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

right i m not gonna go off road or anything. Mostly its just driving from work to my shops and transporting some goods now and then. probably to provinces in for holidays. I have 2 retail shops in beauty and cosmetic. 

30 minutes ago, mogandave said:

The OP is buying a set of OEM wheels and tires that were likely swopped out for bigger "off-road" tires.

They should be well suited for the local market.

the tyres Dunlop PT3 came with the Rims. I am going for exactly what is on the TRD Sportivo.

1 hour ago, fullcave said:

Where did you find the rims? 

you can either find them from toyota center or you can find it from authorised dealers. 

I found it thru trusted contacts from a shop that takes the Rims off Brand New TRD Sportivo Fortuners when the owners wants other RIMS for their Fortuners instead of the OEM's 

So its still brand new Rims (that probably only ran a few KMs) but at slightly lower price than the ones you have to order through toyota centres.

Full warranty comes with the RIMS from the toyota centres itself. 

I can inbox you the contact if like you. 

alternatively you can check it out here in thailand's fortuner club website.

http://www.newfortunerclubthailand.com/

Moderator can edit my link out if it's not ok to post other links for other members here. Contact me in inbox for link again if removed.

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

going for what Toyota has chosen for as OEMS. I am sure toyota has already tested these Dunlop PT3s extensively before making them the tyres of choice for the TRDs Sportivo Rims and fortuner. Will choose to trust Toyota on this and many of the advice I got here. Thanks for the video. Its very helpful and informative.

Hi Guys, here are the pics as promised. 

After driving home with the new wheels. Here's what I felt.

Just a little Slightly noiser than the original 18''

Better and smoother response from the wheels when changing lanes, turning.

quite comfy and not that bumpy as mentioned from some might get if changed to 20''

Looks much better than in the pictures. Had to edit and change the shadows on the wheels to see the it, The wheels are very black in the pics lol

TRD Rims 3.jpg

TRD rims.jpg

TRD Rims 2.jpg

TRD Rims 1.jpg

15 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Thank You, they are my wife's choice. She paid for the Wheels!

I wanted to keep the 18", I am just happy these wheels turned out great.

Please let us know how you get on with them once they have settled in over the next few days.

Archived