Advice Needed. Tires. Bridgestone vs Dunlop vs Toyo vs Yokohama

7 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Parada spec-x may be worth a look too.

http://www.yokohamathailand.com/Products/parada-specx.asp

I'd stick with 18" but get some nice rims and tires. The sportivo 20" wheels have a shorter sidewall tire and may be a little harsher than when on 18".

Get some ironman foam cell comfort shocks for better ride comfort on sealed roads. These are available in Thailand. 

http://www.ironman4x4.com/category-products/suspension/shock-absorbers

thanks. do i have to adjust or change my shocks if I change my rims?

read and heard from some other Fortuner drivers that the new fortuners have a problem with shocks. Even my bro-in-laws needed change.

But surprisingly mine were pretty good. My bro-in-law has driven mine and commented that my fortuner shocks has no problems and were alot better than his.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think going from 65 to 50 reduces the profile not the width.

A 225 x 65 is the same width as a 225 x 50

Width X second number = profile

A 225 x 65 / 16 is taller than a 225 x 50 / 16

You are correct.
I should have use thickness instead of width.
Fortuner comes with 265 stock width but I'm sure owner can change to slightly wider tires for more grip.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

thanks. do i have to adjust or change my shocks if I change my rims?

read and heard from some other Fortuner drivers that the new fortuners have a problem with shocks. Even my bro-in-laws needed change.

But surprisingly mine were pretty good. My bro-in-law has driven mine and commented that my fortuner shocks has no problems and were alot better than his.

No, it's not really necessary, but the ride will be better with good aftermarket shocks. Most reviews I've read is that the fortuner is a little behind the competition in regards to on-road ride comfort (off-road is a lot better though). The same applies to the mitsubishi pjs. It seems a lot of companies don't spend much on the suspension R&D. 

10 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

according to the sales, the Dunlops are standard tires, but the Yoko's and Toyo's are of a premium grade. 

Are there different grades within the brands itself? like Yoko maybe have standard to premium grade tires. Should I ask for more info on the "premium" grade tires offered so everyone can kindly help me decide :)

Ask the rep for the series of Yokohama and Toyo's. Just as with sedans, Toyo's can be the cheap Proxes or the R888s. The standard dunlops on the Fortuner TRD Sportivo are decent enough, but if you want highway performance tires then you might have to pay a bit additional. To say that Yokohama or Toyo is better is difficult. It depends on the series of the tires not the brand itself. Toyo is made in Malaysia and so is Yokohama. Dunlops can be made in Thailand or in Japan by Sumitomo, Dunlop's mothercompany.

As your stock wheels/tyres are dialed in with the suspension to provide a decent ride l would suspect fitting lower profile tyres, just cos they look nice to others, will make it ride 'orrible..

Can you look at the recommended tyre pressures for the 18's for me, there is a sticker just where the drivers door opens, just something for my gray cells...:smile:

14 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

according to the sales, the Dunlops are standard tires, but the Yoko's and Toyo's are of a premium grade. 

Are there different grades within the brands itself? like Yoko maybe have standard to premium grade tires. Should I ask for more info on the "premium" grade tires offered so everyone can kindly help me decide :)

I would go for the Dunlop Grandtrek PT3  Toyota put them on as standard. They have been designed for SUV. According to the info they run quieter have better grip. Compared to Toyos.

From experience they do run very quiet and the grip so far is better that the Bridge stone on my last Spivo.

I have just bought a new Spivo and the only thing I dislike about it is those black rims. I would save my monies and stay as you are but that is a personal point of view. Don't forget you will have to change your spare as well or it'll handle like a pig if you have to use it.

N/B Toyota fit as their spare on Spivo the same black rim and Dunlop tyre as they put on the car.

If it's any help TA it's 29psi all round loaded or other wise on the 20" new Spivo.

2 hours ago, transam said:

As your stock wheels/tyres are dialed in with the suspension to provide a decent ride l would suspect fitting lower profile tyres, just cos they look nice to others, will make it ride 'orrible..

Can you look at the recommended tyre pressures for the 18's for me, there is a sticker just where the drivers door opens, just something for my gray cells...:smile:

There not low profile on the 20" But you are correct about what it'll handle like, only Buddha knows that. Also would you have to change the speedo setting?

The Spivo has different springs and shocks.

Used to be 30psi all round on my 18" rims.

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

There not low profile on the 20" But you are correct about what it'll handle like, only Buddha knows that.

The Spivo has different springs and shocks.

Used to be 30psi all round on my 18" rims.

Thought folk were talking 50's. that is low profile to me on a 265x20..

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Thought folk were talking 50's. that is low profile to me on a 265x20..

Yes they are 50 but their certainly not low profile. Will take a snap and stick it in. Do you think they are low profile now.

IMGP0012.JPG

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Yes they are 50 but their certainly not low profile. Will take a snap and stick it in.

I have to disagree. My chum put expensive 20/22's on his Vigo with a tyre that provided clearance, low profile, he hit a pot hole and an alloy wheel broke up, why, the tyre side walls were that thin the edge of the pot hole overcame the tyres air pressure and transmitted the shock to the wheel rim....Vigo/Fortuner are heavy rides, there must be thought before going down the big dia. rim route..

If a ride comes from factory with big rims and low profile tyres l am sure the strength thing has been built into the rim..

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I have to disagree. My chum put expensive 20/22's on his Vigo with a tyre that provided clearance, low profile, he hit a pot hole and an alloy wheel broke up, why, the tyre side walls were that thin the edge of the pot hole overcame the tyres air pressure and transmitted the shock to the wheel rim....Vigo/Fortuner are heavy rides, there must be thought before going down the big dia. rim route..

If a ride comes from factory with big rims and low profile tyres l am sure the strength thing has been built into the rim..

Look at the above picture do they look like low profile??? well not to me they don't. Loads of clearance. To much in my estimation.

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Look at the above picture do they look like low profile??? well not to me they don't. Loads of clearance. To much in my estimation.

They are low profile, and the stationary clearance has nothing to do with actual usage clearance....

2 minutes ago, transam said:

They are low profile, and the stationary clearance has nothing to do with actual usage clearance....

Like my Vigo and Spivo the thing never went down on the springs even with a full load. Nearly 1 ton of granite on the Vigo once and it still looked like it was running unloaded/normal. We will have to agree to disagree on the low profile thing. Lower profile yes low profile no.

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

Like my Vigo and Spivo the thing never went down on the springs even with a full load. Nearly 1 ton of granite on the Vigo once and it still looked like it was running unloaded/normal. We will have to agree to disagree on the low profile thing. Lower profile yes low profile no.

What you do on the blacktop is very different to what happens to the suspension when not..

Why are Vigo 4x4 or Prerunner much higher than basic models...

Ground clearance yes but the biggy is suspension travel when not on blacktop.. 

I found many people here sacrifice safety and ride comfort by going for larger rims for appearance. I would have got a sports car instead of changing tyres for a family sedan or off road, utility oriented SUV. Most people forget that tires are the one making contact with the road and wrong tyre choice can cost lives.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Slightly off topic.

Ever since watching a video of an accident that Robert Dunlop (RIP) had years ago at the Isle of Man TT, when his non standard rear wheel disintegrated nearly crippling him, I am very sceptical about aftermarket wheels, car or bike.

Manufacturers spend millions in R+D to ensure their wheels are up to the job.

If I was going to change wheels it would be only ones supplied by the cars manufacturer. But I bet they won't be cheap.

Just now, tj916 said:

Slightly off topic.

Ever since watching a video of an accident that Robert Dunlop (RIP) had years ago at the Isle of Man TT, when his non standard rear wheel disintegrated nearly crippling him, I am very sceptical about aftermarket wheels, car or bike.

If I was going to change wheels it would be only ones supplied by the cars manufacturer. But I bet they won't be cheap.

I imported Weld Racing wheels from the USA for my fun ride, forged alloy.....When I got them they had stickers on saying, not for circuit racing or off road use, street and drag race only. Do not use hydraulic apparatus to remove tyres...

Yes, homework must be done...

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Right  " no " they don't look low profile,  forgive me but out of interest what does size read on the side of the tyre.  

Mrs Yaris are 205/45 ZR 17  only 5mm  difference in depth and they look flat.  :biggrin:

1 hour ago, tj916 said:

Slightly off topic.

The TRDs are actually OEMs too for Fortuner's of a more expensive model, the TRD Sportivo Fortuner. It is alot more expensive than other after market RIMs out there. That is one reason which I agree to change. If it were other after market Wheels, I would not want to.

I don't have a lot to contribute. My old Nissan Frontier came with Bridgestone OEM tires. Someone mentioned that they harden with age. That is a fact. They wore very well and still looked good when I replaced them with a set of Dunlaps. I picked up a nail in one of the Dunlaps. I did notice that it had gone low and put more air in it before it went flat. When I took it to be repaired the service guy wanted me to take a look. The cords in the sidewall had separated and I decided that I didn't want to take a chance and have it repaired. I realize that it's not a good idea to run a tire low but I didn't expect the tire to be ruined. On my car, it came with OEM Goodyears. Three of the four developed bulges in the sidewalls. I replaced the first two with Maxxis and the second two with Deestone. So far both the Maxxis and Deestone tires have been OK.. I like to keep all my tires the same brand but at that time I couldn't find a dealer that sold Maxxis tires.

1 hour ago, tj916 said:

When l had a big wheel Vigo it came with Ali - rims,  what l hit in a road once was more like a ditch not a pothole,  it was strange because it still drove OK but checked it out and sure enough was buckled not much put the rim & tyre to spare.

I ordered and bought a new rim and used the spare tyre it cost between 2000 - 3000 bht l was expecting a lot more. :thumbsup:

Thank You all for all your help here. I have decided after much valuable advice I have gotten here and some googling and comparing for the prices of Dunlop, Toyo and Yokohama's

The price ranges are almost the same for 20'' Tyres. which means the Sales rep is just trying to make a sale IMO.

Will stick to the Dunlops which comes with the TRD Sportivo Rims. Will Post pics Soon if I really decide to go for it.

Thank You and really appreciate all the advice. 

2 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Thank You all for all your help here. I have decided after much valuable advice I have gotten here and some googling and comparing for the prices of Dunlop, Toyo and Yokohama's

The price ranges are almost the same for 20'' Tyres. which means the Sales rep is just trying to make a sale IMO.

Will stick to the Dunlops which comes with the TRD Sportivo Rims. Will Post pics Soon if I really decide to go for it.

I'll get in before Trans does,  don't forget you tyre gauge. :laugh:

17 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Right  " no " they don't look low profile,  forgive me but out of interest what does size read on the side of the tyre.  

Mrs Yaris are 205/45 ZR 17  only 5mm  difference in depth and they look flat.  :biggrin:

265/50R20 107V. Sorry for the late reply but have been out for lunch.

23 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Snap of side view of Spivo with it's crappy Back wheels. I think they look crappy anyway.

I still got one. Great lump except for those bloody Wheels. 

Would be nice to see what your lump looks like if you have them fitted.

IMGP0019.JPG

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Snap of side of Spivo with it's crappy Back wheels. I think they look crappy anyway.

I sill got one. Great lump except for those Wheels. 

IMGP0019.JPG

And you reckon they ain't low profile....facepalm.gif.207c3e5ee8acd98994df12f650ca37a9.gif

Archived