Advice Needed. Tires. Bridgestone vs Dunlop vs Toyo vs Yokohama

28 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Good point here - don't overlook it....Smaller bodied tires are akin to a bicycle tire - high pressure & not much air volume....They should be checked monthly with the same gauge and adjusted - usually cold.....

Don't let air out of a warm tire because they gain PSI through the constant heat from scrubbing & flexing - that is normal....

Plus you'll probably have one that loses air pressure a little faster than the others....You need to be aware if that's happening.....

Don't let air out of a warm tyre,  agree  :thumbsup:   I wasn't going to mention nitrogen.  :whistling:   :laugh:

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, transam said:

I think you are stuck with it...This is the downside of looking cool....:sad:

3 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

So are 29psi right for my tyres or not?

after a few days of driving. 

ok this is what i feel.

Better driving, response, left to right.

slight more noise than 18"

a more bumpier ride than b4.

Any advice on how i can reduce the bumpy? not that its irritating or anything cos my HOnda Brio was alot bumpier than this. But if it can be better why not.

29psi cold, is what Toyota recommend for the 20" wheels. Dunlop tyres. I find that my lump it's quite smooth & quiet on normal roads. But I do have stronger springs and shocks so maybe the tires get a chance to flex more. Just a guess. You could try 1 psi less. I found I got a better ride on my old Spivo at 29 than the 30psi that Toyota recommended for that. Yes I know it's only 1 psi but there was a difference.

On 19 June 2017 at 6:11 PM, Moonmoon said:

Hi Guys, here are the pics as promised. 

After driving home with the new wheels. Here's what I felt.

Just a little Slightly noiser than the original 18''

Better and smoother response from the wheels when changing lanes, turning.

quite comfy and not that bumpy as mentioned from some might get if changed to 20''

Looks much better than in the pictures. Had to edit and change the shadows on the wheels to see the it, The wheels are very black in the pics lol

TRD Rims 3.jpg

TRD rims.jpg

TRD Rims 2.jpg

TRD Rims 1.jpg

Look nice, but I can't help thinking 3 spoke would look much cooler than 6 spoke.

Have you got a hacksaw?

12 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't let air out of a warm tyre,  agree  :thumbsup:   I wasn't going to mention nitrogen.  :whistling:   :laugh:

the shop pump in nitrogen for me. So I have to go to the nearest shop to pump in nitrogen every month i suppose. 

the shop pump in nitrogen for me. So I have to go to the nearest shop to pump in nitrogen every month i suppose. 

If the tires are fully nitrogen charged you should not have to add for a few months. If you have a good gauge just keep an eye on them.

It won't hurt to top-up with air, but the greater the percentage of air in the tires the more frequently you'll need to top up.

If you want to avoid letting air out of a warm tire, you'll have to wait until December...

7 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

It's been as long as 6 months in my daughters City but maybe because it's not used much, l get it topped when tyres are down by 2 psi.

Didn't realize you got nitrogen in your tyres,  l was only joking because there's a lots of threads on the subject so less not start another. :biggrin:

8 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

No, your tyres will not be cold for the correct psi.... My tyres have nitrogen and only one loses a pound or two over a long period, I just top it up with my air compressor at home when cold..

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

When is it ever cold?

True - no correct ambient temperature.....

Just after sitting (over night) & not parked with direct sunlight on a/the/some tires.....

So it's a rainy day today, I drove to DMK airport to stock up on goods and was caught in the rain on the expressway all the way back to Samut Prakan.

Tyres perform quite well, good grip on the bends. Running over puddles of water was good too. overall happy with the performance.

big improvement from my Honda Brio. maybe i should start upgrading my Brio to make it better.

I have a question though. I ask my workers to come and carry the goods from the boot of my tuna, as it was a rainy day, the back of my car was lightly smudged in dirt.

One of my workers seeing the dirt took the tissue in her hands and started wiping the dirt vigorously off. I had a big shock and stopped her. 

Now my rear bumper is lightly scratched. Though you have to look real closely in detail to notice it, I am very irked by it.

Any advice how to remove it? I really took care of my car and wash it every 3 days. sigh... I didn't shout or scold my worker but told her i knew she meant well, but don't ever do that to my car or any other cars again without any knowledge...

i don't think you can see it in this pic cos its very lightly scratch.

scratch.jpg

A slight bit of car wax......Just the way you use to polish your shoes.....Apply a thin-ish layer & allow to dry (not too) then buff up with a cloth (like a bath towel texture).....The scratches will be there but filled in with the polish....

You might - or might not be able to detect after; but you'll be the only one in the world that might....Nobody else will notice unless you point it out.... 

It's only the first one - there'll be more....

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

A slight bit of car wax......Just the way you use to polish your shoes.....Apply a thin-ish layer & allow to dry (not too) then buff up with a cloth (like a bath towel texture).....The scratches will be there but filled in with the polish....

You might - or might not be able to detect after; but you'll be the only one in the world that might....Nobody else will notice unless you point it out.... 

Ok i will try!

2 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

It's only the first one - there'll be more....

NooooOOOOooOOOOOooOOOOOooo

• 8 months later...
On 6/13/2017 at 8:33 PM, Kwasaki said:

Just bought Dunlop for my bike. 1/2 the price of Pirelli & Michelin's etc.

Car tyres are all the same IMO some wear out quicker, some are quiet on road all that's important is the correct pressure.

Hello, I am wondering why Dunlop are so cheap ? And why anybody would pay more for another brand ?

Also, I cannot find the Dunlop RFT (run flat) in Thailand, can you help me ?

http://www.dunloptires.com/en-US/tires/category/run-flat#browse

Thanks.

On 6/16/2017 at 8:20 PM, Kwasaki said:

Camry is not a small car and a really nice ride if you know how to drive,  l like the old 2.4 but would like a V6 model or a V6 Accord , then your talking motors. 

Camry might be nice to drive if you have never owned a German car. There is no way to call a Camry or Accord a nice ride when you are used to German cars drive.

How can you compare tires just by brand name ? All companies make various brands - and speed ratings - and at different price points.

The only thing in common - they are round and black.

German cars - over bored, over scored Volkswagons the lot of them

6 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

What is E and what is a chum ?

The encircled E on the sidewall means it has passed the tests to be used on European roads..

"Chum" is an English word meaning friend or be friendly...:stoner:...

11 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Hello, I am wondering why Dunlop are so cheap ? And why anybody would pay more for another brand ?

Also, I cannot find the Dunlop RFT (run flat) in Thailand, can you help me ?

http://www.dunloptires.com/en-US/tires/category/run-flat#browse

Thanks.

Well some people like to pay more for a particular brand and that's their business.

As said in another thread I buy Dunlop for motorbike, made in Thailand that's why cheap I guess.

As for car/truck I just shop around for the cheapest of any tyre make and check date made on sidewall before buying.

Dunlop run flat would have to be imported I think so probably expensive anyway that's if possible to import.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Dunlop run flat would have to be imported I think so probably expensive anyway that's if possible to import.

Wonder about the poster asking about run flat tires - he ever drive on a set ?

If you think lo profile tires ride hard - try those things.

Only brands using them are ones with no room for a spare, Ferrari ...

And those owners don't change tires.

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Wonder about the poster asking about run flat tires - he ever drive on a set ?

If you think lo profile tires ride hard - try those things.

Only brands using them are ones with no room for a spare, Ferrari ...

And those owners don't change tires.

Many German cars including BMW's use run flat tires and often as standard equipment. 

28 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

Many German cars including BMW's use run flat tires and often as standard equipment. 

I have seen lady drivers in Thailand running on rims and they wondered what was wrong , until stopping and looking off course. :w00t: 

Archived