Number of Visa exempt entries ( by air) per year ?

There is no written limit on on the number of entries or the time spent in the country for visa exempt entries done by air.

The officer on entry will get an alert at a total of 6 entries to inform them they should check to see what type of entry they are. They would normally be checking to see if they are out/in trips just to get a new entry.

The general consensus is that staying in Thailand more than 180 days is deemed as taking residence rather than Tourism.

There are suitable Visas and Extensions of stay available for those who qualify and wish to stay beyond 180 days.

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Whoose?

Some posters on this forum perhaps.

Immigration officials.

Under Thai law;

As a Tourist with less than 180 days stay In Thailand within 1 year, I am allowed to reclaim VAT.

Over 180 days I am not. Why is that?

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Immigration officials.

Under Thai law;

As a Tourist with less than 180 days stay In Thailand within 1 year, I am allowed to reclaim VAT.

Over 180 days I am not. Why is that?

Show me an immigration rule or order that states that.

Under tax law yes since you are considered a resident for tax purposes if you stay in the country more than a total of 180 days in a year. That has nothing to with immigration rules.

• Like 1

Potentially if you got 6 visa exempt entries and extended each for 30 days the total would reach just shy of one full year.

I realize many people are in and out for less than 30 days and/or may not extend their permission to stay, but for someone who is just trying to stay more or less continuously, 6 visa exempts would pretty well cover one full year ... of course doing that would, I assume, draw the attention of immigrations.

I recently encountered the same problem regarding visa exempt via air. Every two or three months I travel in and out of Thailand via air because of my job. I was advised that you were only allowed 3 visa exempts during a six month duration. This was also stated on the London embassy website   http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section1.I quote  " Passport holders of the countries listed for visa exemption are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter Thailand at immigration checkpoints, which border neighbouring countries (overland crossing), they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time. The exemption to this is Malaysian nationals crossing overland from Malaysia who are granted a period of stay not exceeding 30 days each time.

Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption category may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6 month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing."

However, on http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/changes-visa-exempt.php    It states the following " Holders of normal passports of the following countries are granted visa-free travel to Thailand for a period of up to 30 days. The exemption is granted at most twice in a calendar year when entering over land or via a sea border but there is no limitation when entering by air. For Malaysians entering by land border, there is no limitation in issuing the 30-day visa exemption stamp. Korea, Brazil, Peru, Argentina and Chile will get 90 days in both airport and land border.

So, it depends on interpretation of the rules. To save hassle I obtained a single entry TR. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks, as usual, to ubonjoe.  To those out there who get confused by the myriad of rules and regulations relating to immigration, he is one you really should take notice of.  He is definitely on the ball and always a source of accurate information. Cheers.

• Like 1

There is no official/published maximum number of visa exempt entries by air per year. 

After six visa exempt entries by air - total, over your lifetime - you are 'red flagged' by the computer system. Thai Immigration officers (may) use this 'convenient' fact (and their discretion) to extort money from the unknowing by at first denying entry to those on their seventh entry. Then, they will "do you a favour" and allow entry when they are satisfied you are really a tourist i.e. have resort/hotel booking(s), enough money and a return/onward journey ticket... and the required amount of baht is proffered. You will not receive a receipt.

In Thailand the criminals wear uniforms.

9 hours ago, cruisemonkey said:

There is no official/published maximum number of visa exempt entries by air per year. 

After six visa exempt entries by air - total, over your lifetime - you are 'red flagged' by the computer system. Thai Immigration officers (may) use this 'convenient' fact (and their discretion) to extort money from the unknowing by at first denying entry to those on their seventh entry. Then, they will "do you a favour" and allow entry when they are satisfied you are really a tourist i.e. have resort/hotel booking(s), enough money and a return/onward journey ticket... and the required amount of baht is proffered. You will not receive a receipt.

My experience is contrary to this.  I have entered by air more times than I can remember over past 13 years and never been asked more than "where you stay?" 

YMMV

On 6/20/2017 at 8:50 AM, cruisemonkey said:

"Lifetime" has been reported to begin when they started this system in 2015. 

I have not heard of cases where airport-personnel have extorted money for entry as part of the recent crackdown.  I am not saying it has never happened - only that denial of entry to those who "stay here too much," seems to be the primary goal, not extortion. 

IOs have, however, denied entry to those who followed the airline-rules (IATA), and had their needed funds for their visit on "plastic" instead of "cash or travelers checks."  Therefore, have 10K Baht in cash or travelers checks and show (for an exempt-entry), outgoing-flight, hotel-bookings, and show these "helpfully" while answering their first question.  Better yet, get a TR Visa first, and enter with that and 20K Baht.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:17 PM, 86Tiger said:

My experience is contrary to this.  I have entered by air more times than I can remember over past 13 years and never been asked more than "where you stay?" 

YMMV

I am just reading up posts on entry denial. I have done 2 visa exempt entries by air this year in march and may.

I have got loads of visa exempt stamps, maybe 15 over the last 5 years.

I am 62 years old, age being cited as a factor.( UK citizen)

I have never been questioned by an IO.

Have things changed so drastically that I should get a tourist visa for my forthcoming 15 day trip to Thailand ?... thanks

56 minutes ago, strikingsunset said:

I am just reading up posts on entry denial. I have done 2 visa exempt entries by air this year in march and may.

I have got loads of visa exempt stamps, maybe 15 over the last 5 years.

I am 62 years old, age being cited as a factor.( UK citizen)

I have never been questioned by an IO.

Have things changed so drastically that I should get a tourist visa for my forthcoming 15 day trip to Thailand ?... thanks

I would imagine that so long as you have a return ticket and 20,000 THB (or say 500 Pounds) in cash, then you should not have a problem, those that have been seeing problems tend to be those doing back to back entries over shorter periods than yours.

On 20.06.2017 at 3:50 AM, cruisemonkey said:

so if one is to understand your post, a tourist who comes each year just for a few weeks on holiday under Visa Exempt, will be flagged after six years of annual consecutive holidays?

as for the bribery issue, I always have a very discreet lapel pin body cam that records everything...could be worth filming if any form of extortion occurs at immigration in Suvarnabhumi (as it had happen sometimes to some friends living in Thailand)....Once your passport safely stamped politely refer to the PM's anti-corruption bureau and meekely hint that you prefer to talk to their distinguished, to save the country honour, rather then post your footage on youTube...instant results and transfer of the corrupt fellow guaranteed!

Edited by observer90210

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I have a very important question which I can't seem to find a clear answer to in a similar (German) forum or by searching the internet myself. Is there or isn't there still the "90 days within 6 months" rule for visa exempts?

I've read this whole thread and you seem to be convinced that this rule is not effective anymore. However, unfortunately, I have several fellows in the German forum who are convinced otherwise. They know about the rule being rescinded in 2008, but claim it has been reinstated since. I really can't find any trustworthy source with a date (since the aforementioned rescindment in 2008) that states otherwise. The German website of the Thai Embassy also claims that this rule still exists... but also without a date (and official German websites like this are notorious for being outdated).

So, I hope that someone here can help me with providing a source :)

25 minutes ago, Brian92 said:

Hello everyone. I have a very important question which I can't seem to find a clear answer to in a similar (German) forum or by searching the internet myself. Is there or isn't there still the "90 days within 6 months" rule for visa exempts?

I've read this whole thread and you seem to be convinced that this rule is not effective anymore. However, unfortunately, I have several fellows in the German forum who are convinced otherwise. They know about the rule being rescinded in 2008, but claim it has been reinstated since. I really can't find any trustworthy source with a date (since the aforementioned rescindment in 2008) that states otherwise. The German website of the Thai Embassy also claims that this rule still exists... but also without a date (and official German websites like this are notorious for being outdated).

That rule is not in effect anymore.

Some people are questioned after arrival by immigration though, because the system gives a warning after too many visa exempt entries.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That rule is not in effect anymore.

Some people are questioned after arrival by immigration though, because the system gives a warning after too many visa exempt entries.

Thank you stevenl for your quick answer. Do you happen to have any source for this? That's what I'm primarily looking for :) Thanks in advance :)

46 minutes ago, Brian92 said:

There is no source for it not being reinstated, because it was never reinstated (circular logic, but true in this case). 

But, there are IOs  who work at Thai Airports who think this *should* be the law, and will quote it to those they are considering to refuse-entry and put into detention.  Because airport-IOs are, in essence, enforcing this non-rule (and other rules they have invented), it is wise to expect one could have problems when breaking this non-rule if one enters their domain of control.

When persons who have this rule quoted to them find the "official" reason for rejection of entry in their passport, it is for one of the actual legal reasons for refusing entry (however nonsensical it may be) - rather than the non-existent rule.  Usually, the "official" denial written in the rejected-person's passport is for not having "sufficient funds for support" (20K Baht in cash or travelers checks - plastic not accepted, and no option to visit an ATM).  In some cases where the person had the cash, they were never asked to show it, and still received this official-reason for rejection.  If the foreigner shows the money (asked or not), and the IO still wants to reject entry, the "official" reason written in the passport is "coming here to work," (as if Germans are flooding in to take jobs for a fraction of the wage they could receive at home). 

The combination of outdated info on websites, combined with IOs quoting the non-rule, is the likely reason why people think this non-rule is still a real-rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

There is no source for it not being reinstated, because it was never reinstated (circular logic, but true in this case). 

But, there are IOs  who work at Thai Airports who think this *should* be the law, and will quote it to those they are considering to refuse-entry and put into detention.  Because airport-IOs are, in essence, enforcing this non-rule (and other rules they have invented), it is wise to expect one could have problems when breaking this non-rule if one enters their domain of control.

When persons who have this rule quoted to them find the "official" reason for rejection of entry in their passport, it is for one of the actual legal reasons for refusing entry (however nonsensical it may be) - rather than the non-existent rule.  Usually, the "official" denial written in the rejected-person's passport is for not having "sufficient funds for support" (20K Baht in cash or travelers checks - plastic not accepted, and no option to visit an ATM).  In some cases where the person had the cash, they were never asked to show it, and still received this official-reason for rejection.  If the foreigner shows the money (asked or not), and the IO still wants to reject entry, the "official" reason written in the passport is "coming here to work," (as if Germans are flooding in to take jobs for a fraction of the wage they could receive at home). 

The combination of outdated info on websites, combined with IOs quoting the non-rule, is the likely reason why people think this non-rule is still a real-rule.

Thanks man. Makes perfect sense and matches with what I thought myself. As you seem very well informed, could you give me an advice for my specific scenario? I've been to Thailand a total of six times (with the 30 day visa exemption) via airplane.

July to August 2015 (10 days)

March to April 2016 (around 2 weeks)

November to December 2016 (around 2 weeks)

4th April to 2nd May 2017

10th May to 31st May 2017

23rd June to 20th August 2017 (with the 30 day extension for 1900 Baht)

As you can see, no border runs, back-to-back entries or anything like that. But it would sum up to be 110 days within the last 6 months already. Now I'd like to travel to Thailand again soon (maybe in one week for about 3 weeks). Would you be worried in my case? :)

2 hours ago, Brian92 said:

Thanks man. Makes perfect sense and matches with what I thought myself. As you seem very well informed, could you give me an advice for my specific scenario? I've been to Thailand a total of six times (with the 30 day visa exemption) via airplane.

July to August 2015 (10 days)

March to April 2016 (around 2 weeks)

November to December 2016 (around 2 weeks)

4th April to 2nd May 2017

10th May to 31st May 2017

23rd June to 20th August 2017 (with the 30 day extension for 1900 Baht)

As you can see, no border runs, back-to-back entries or anything like that. But it would sum up to be 110 days within the last 6 months already. Now I'd like to travel to Thailand again soon (maybe in one week for about 3 weeks). Would you be worried in my case? :)

As you have 6+ visa exempt entries since 2015, the immigration official will receive an alert that your entry should receive extra scrutiny to ensure you are a genuine tourist. In your case, I doubt this will lead to any problem. For safety, have 20,000 baht equivalent in cash or travelers' checks and an onward ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. The concerns you need to satisfy the immigration official about are (i) that you are not planning to work illegally; and (ii) that you have money to support yourself during your visit. The combination of the alert for 6+ visa exempt entries plus an unusually suspicious official could lead to some questions, but you really have little to worry about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2017 at 8:45 AM, Tanoshi said:

The general consensus is that staying in Thailand more than 180 days is deemed as taking residence rather than Tourism.

There are suitable Visas and Extensions of stay available for those who qualify and wish to stay beyond 180 days.

LOL> suitable visas for those who qualify? That's not very helpful at all, for people under 50 and not for the OP. 

Edited by tropo

7 hours ago, tropo said:

LOL> suitable visas for those who qualify? That's not very helpful at all, for people under 50 and not for the OP. 

No, but it's a fact, Thailand doesn't offer any long term solutions for under 50's, unless your married to a Thai, or are financially secure, in which case you can afford the Elite Visa.

On 19/06/2017 at 7:16 AM, ubonjoe said:

There is no written limit on on the number of entries or the time spent in the country for visa exempt entries done by air.

The officer on entry will get an alert at a total of 6 entries to inform them they should check to see what type of entry they are. They would normally be checking to see if they are out/in trips just to get a new entry.

Asked this on another thread but no answers.

We are allowed 2 VEE land border per year 

1. Year! Does it run from when you get first VEE or second VEE or is ot a fixed calander year ie jan to dec.

2. If you have say 3 VEE from flying in does that mean

A. No more land entries

B. You can still get 2 land  VEE.

Thanks