sudden partial vision loss in one eye

n210mp

I am recently experiencing partial vision loss in my left eye and wish to visit one of the clinics or  hospitals in the  Chonburri Sattahip area, having only a modest budget could anyone kindly suggest where I can go to get the best treatment to  lowest cost ratio.

I telephoned  the Pattaya international hospital and was informed that the initial eye  Doctors consultation would be 1500 Baht without any tests etc.

I have been  on "prednisalone" for the last two years since falling off my bicycle and breaking my leg in 5 places which resulted in an allergic reaction  from the metal implanted in my leg at the time .

It also  occurs to me that the Prednisalone it seems that I will always have to take  may be causing my symptoms becasue I am still at 73 going out on my bike and covering 50/60 Ks two times a week and also golfing at the local Thai naval course where I walk about 8 .5 Ks (Zigga Zagga golf)  and pull a golf cart for 18 holes, in other words I am not (I Hope) suffering from any cardio problem that could be causing these eye symptoms .

Any useful info or advice would be greatly apreciated

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, userabcd said:

I advise that you see an ophthalmologist ASAP for an initial eye checkup.

Yes, thank you and good advice  and that is  the point of the OP I'm a bit bewildered as to where to start.

I have had good experiences with Government hospitals both at Sattahip and Banglamung but as usual I though before going down that road I would ask the TV Forum membership for some valuable information based on perhaps similar experiences.  

When did this happen, today a few hours ago, yesterday and do you still have the loss of vision?

The sudden partial vision loss in one eye is you describe is potentially serious.

If I were you, I would not delay this any further and get to a hospital to see an ophthalmologist for an initial diagnosis.

Edited by userabcd

Agree, sudden loss of vision is quite serious and requires immediate attention form an opthalmologist.

Pattaya City Hospital (Banglamung) and Queen Sirikit in Sattahip are possible but I am nto sure they will have opthalmologist every day (possible Pattaya City doesn't have one at all) and that is what you need.

The government hospital in Chonburi town, being a regioanl facility, is probably the best bet for having an opthalmologist every day (though even that is not certain).

The cause will not be cardiac. Most likely opthalmologic. You could, for example, be suffering from a detached retina. If so immediate treatement is needed to preserve your vision.

Do not delay and do not hesitate to go in via emergency room. Delay could cost you your eyesight permanently.

Well..is the partial loss of vision now permanent or did it come and go?

In early January I developed a case of sinusitis, for the first time in my life. Ears "popping" being the main symptom. I had thought it a cold but it didn't go away. Then i started to get a strange symptom. My eyelids started fluttering. Not constantly but regularly. About 2 months later, as I was sitting on my balcony, I experienced the total loss of vision in my right eye. Process took 10-15 seconds. And I ended up with a silvery color not total blackness. It lasted about 3 minutes, long enough to go from "what's happening to Holy S**t!".

I had a brief sit-down and then, feeling fine, walked to the local pharmacy where they have a BP machine. I was thinking stroke? Perfectly normal results.

A couple of days later I was talking to my brother in Canada and told him about that strange experience. A short time after hanging up, I received an email from his wife. She has just retired from a Nursing career, much of it spent in ER Dept.  She said that my experience was not uncommon for Migraine sufferers. I don't get migraines but Google had informed me about optic nerves. I now believe the congestion in my sinus area had caused the pressure on the optic nerve. As the case of sinusitis went away, so did the eyelid fluttering. And no re-occurrence of vision loss.

Thank you  all very much for the replies.  

I have had this partial vision loss before a couple of times  in the same eye and after a short time it  always returned to normal so I wasn't unduly worried,  Thursday,  playing golf at Sattahip it was perfect and no problems.

Yesterday  (Friday) I got up looking forward to a day of rest from the previous days exertions and immediately noticed I had the vision loss once again, this time it has stayed with me up to now 8 0 am Saturday.

This morning around 5 0 am I decided to go go a walk around lake Mabrachan instead of going out on the bike, thinking that maybe some quiet  exercise would make a difference, it didn't so I will ask the Boss to ring Queen Sirikit hospital to see if there is a daily eye Doctor and if there is then   Monday am  I will be going down to Queen Sirikit hospital to see the Doctor.

Thank you once again for all your replies and especially Sheryl  

2 hours ago, n210mp said:

I have had this partial vision loss before a couple of times  in the same eye and after a short time it  always returned to normal so I wasn't unduly worried,  Thursday,  playing golf at Sattahip it was perfect and no problems.

Yesterday  (Friday) I got up looking forward to a day of rest from the previous days exertions and immediately noticed I had the vision loss once again, this time it has stayed with me up to now 8 0 am Saturday.

This morning around 5 0 am I decided to go go a walk around lake Mabrachan instead of going out on the bike, thinking that maybe some quiet  exercise would make a difference, it didn't so I will ask the Boss to ring Queen Sirikit hospital to see if there is a daily eye Doctor and if there is then   Monday am  I will be going down to Queen Sirikit hospital to see the Doctor.

Been going to Queen Sirikit for years re my cataract , there are two female doctors the one i see is the older one she has a clinic in Pattaya and works at the International hospital ,she speaks English ,but will not .i repeat will not .you must take your wife , she is a bit of a "misery" but very good  the doc that is ,not your wife:smile: all other staff seem to speak and understand English

Thanks Bert great information. do you think that I will get to see one of these Doctors when I go on Monday or do they have special days for eye Doctors ?

Thank you once again Bert this is exactly the type of  "hands on experience" I was looking for in my OP

3 hours ago, n210mp said:

Can you not go to a hospital and doctor today? Please note the advice Sheryl gave.

Some basic info available on the srkhos website:

services outside office hours. 
Consultation and treatment for acute optic illness. And accident, dental, ophthalmology, dentistry, ophthalmology by the doctor on duty 24 hours a

contact 
counter Hospital. Call 69357.669358 
Admin. Group Tel. 038 - 933960, 69366

No one has mentioned this so i guess its unlikely to be the case but a migraine can give partial vision with an Aura for a while. I remember when i was 18 i had loss of vision, numbness, convinced i had some terrible condition, turned out to just be a migraine.

3 hours ago, userabcd said:

Can you not go to a hospital and doctor today? Please note the advice Sheryl gave.

Some basic info available on the srkhos website:

services outside office hours. 
Consultation and treatment for acute optic illness. And accident, dental, ophthalmology, dentistry, ophthalmology by the doctor on duty 24 hours a

contact 
counter Hospital. Call 69357.669358 
Admin. Group Tel. 038 - 933960, 69366

Thanks Once again 

2nd edit Ah this is the Queen Sirikit hospital

Edited by n210mp

UPDATE

Well I went to the Queen Sirikit hospital yesterday (Monday) morning , arrived 7 0 am and showed my registration  card and was guided to the Eye room number 26 up the stairs to wait my turn to see the eye Doctor. I was number 60 in the queue.

At around 1 30 pm It was my turn. 

The Doctor was indeed the Older lady Doctor  and I noticed immediately that there was no "Eye contact between us, no recognition and no smile"

My wife Wan did the talking for me and the eyes examination was conducted with little or no input from me.

The Doctor asked questions of my wife, which I answered  and she then told the Doctor, at no time did the Doctor look at me when she was asking questions, this left me feeling very uncomfortable.

I was attempting to get answers with salient questions through my wife related to the condition of my eyes .

My wife asked the Doctor these questions in Thai but the Doctor did not answer my questions but "thought" I was trying to get the treatment for free and said to my wife "If He wants free treatment  he should return to his own Country, Free treatment only for Thai people" 

I can assure you all that I never mentioned money, costs or getting any treatment for free and am a little perplexed  where this came form and why the Doctor should have come up with this, my dialogue up to this time was strictly related to a diagnosis and nothing more .

The Diagnosis

After a thorough and in depth physical examination by the Doctor;

I have cataracts in both eyes, one worse than the other, The Doctor said that the onset of these cataracts could be the  ageing process  but possibly exacerbated  by the Prednisalone that I had been taking for the last 2 years or so and that I needed two operations for the removal of the cataracts

On the Prednisalone issue, the Doctor  asked why I hadn't had the Titanium taken out of my leg when I was diagnosed with alergy relating to the metal in my leg and I told her that the Doctor would not do the operation on someone over 70 years of age  so I was destined for a life on "Prednisalone",  I think she "shook her head" and said nothing more!

She then informed me through my wife that I had to return in one month and see her again, there were no prescribed medicines.

From Bert in a previous post

"Been going to Queen Sirikit for years re my cataract , there are two female doctors the one i see is the older one she has a clinic in Pattaya and works at the International hospital ,she speaks English ,but will not .i repeat will not .you must take your wife , she is a bit of a "misery" but very good  the doc that is ,not your wife:smile: all other staff seem to speak and understand E"

I certainly know what you mean Bert, I was made to feel very uncomfortable in the Doctors presence and this led me to  question whether it is a good idea to place my faith in someone who clearly  has "Issues "

I asked my wife if she thought that the Doctor could in fact speak English and my wife was definite in a big NO!

My wife said that when I was asking questions to the Doctor through her,  the Doctor definitely did not understand  what I was saying, hence, this fits in with the Doctor thinking I was talking about free treatment when in fact there was never any mention of costs by me until I went to see the Cashier after the consultation and so Bert I'm a bit "stumped" as to what course of action to take .

As I said I went to pay for the consultation with the cashier, the price was 350 Baht and the estimated cost per eye for the removal of a cataract was 35000.00 baht with 2000 baht for a medical before any "procedure" this is  excluding any in treatment or drugs , the Cashier also said  that the operation was normally an "out patient treatment"

I have decided that I will go with the Lady Doctor from Queen Sirikit on the basis that she is indeed acknowledged as an "Expert" and obviously has the respect  and confidence of both staff at the hospital and people like Bert on here.

Your useful comments would be appreciated and Thanks once again for all your input 

What is odd about this is that you describe the loss of vision as sudden. Loss due to cataract is never sudden. It is gradual and incremental.

If this was truly a sudden abrupt loss then you had bettet get another opinion.

If despite what you said earlier this has benn a steady gradual loss then certainly cataracts would explain it.

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

What is odd about this is that you describe the loss of vision as sudden. Loss due to cataract is never sudden. It is gradual and incremental.

If this was truly a sudden abrupt loss then you had bettet get another opinion.

If despite what you said earlier this has benn a steady gradual loss then certainly cataracts would explain it.

In view of what you said Sheryl  I had another word with the Boss about what the Doctor actually said;

It seems that the eye with the sudden loss of vision, which has happened before and "righted itself"  is not as bad as the left eye from a cataract point of view and the appointment in a months is because the Doctor detected some pressure in the right eye and wanted to see me again regarding this pressure.

So it sounds as though there is an another  issue that the Doctor is  maybe looking into.

The Doctor definitely said that I had cataracts in both eyes though, the left eye being very much worse then the right eye

(My right eye has always been the dominant eye with normal vision  since I had Measles as a kid, the left eye I dont and havnt  seem to use much over my life,  because of this it may be that the cataract  in the left eye has been undetected by me and the  sudden loss of  partial vision in the right eye  caused a big problem  ) .

As for the Prednisalone, I have decided that I am going to come off the 3 x 5 mg tablets I have been taking  and from yesterday  I am taking 1 tablet a day in the morning and in 5 days reducing to half a tablet after a further 5 days stopping the tablets altogether.

If the symptoms of the incessant itching persist then I will have to use other methods of safer medication to treat them

Thank you for your help,  I hope that you can understand my explanations, at this time I am actively considering going back to the UK to deal with both the cataracts and the Titanium in my leg but its a task I am neither  emotionally nor  financially  wanting to do.

A friend of mine also made the suggestion that the operation for the cataracts may be a lot cheaper at a more Provincial hospital where there is not the number of Farangs visiting and hence  no "two tier charging".

Indeed the price is about what I paid several years ago at mid-range Vejthani Hospital here in Bangkok (35k for operation including drugs and believe 2k for lens measurement exam prior to operation).  But normally cataracts do not require removal unless actually giving you problems - but you mention over 70 so perhaps better now than later a factor.  But fear she may not have understood your problem with sudden vision loss and took it as general vision loss complaint and making it a cataract issue.  I would get a second opinion from someone that speaks English.

You did not mention a visual field test (CVFT) but with your drug use and high eye pressure believe that should be done to check for glaucoma.  Did they perhaps schedule such a test for your return?

Edited by lopburi3

The price is less in the provinces. Military hospital in Prachinburi was about 16,000 for the op this year, but with the exam and pre op etc additionsl. Grand total including that came to about 20k. So yes, less and if the wife has family you can stay with may be worth considering. Thete is often a wait list for the surgery though so don't expect to take care of it all in one trip.

I am still concerned about this sudden loss of vision
The elevated pressure you mention could indicate glaucoma but that shouldn't cause this either.

If it were me I would invest in a trip to Bangkok and have a consultation at Rutnin eye hospital. It will cost you a few thousand baht but for that you will get a thorough assessment and explanation, in Englush, from doctors who have trained/workef abroad. Dr Roy thete is good.

15 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed the price is about what I paid several years ago at mid-range Vejthani Hospital here in Bangkok (35k for operation including drugs and believe 2k for lens measurement exam prior to operation).  But normally cataracts do not require removal unless actually giving you problems - but you mention over 70 so perhaps better now than later a factor.  But fear she may not have understood your problem with sudden vision loss and took it as general vision loss complaint and making it a cataract issue.  I would get a second opinion from someone that speaks English.

You did not mention a visual field test (CVFT) but with your drug use and high eye pressure believe that should be done to check for glaucoma.  Did they perhaps schedule such a test for your return?

Thanks for your response Lopburi3

As far as test are concerned, before seeing the Doctor I was sent to  a nurse who gave me some eye tests where I placed my chin on a chin rest in a very modern looking piece of equipment that the nurse was able to electrically maneuver  into a position where a  blast of air came at my eyes.

The Doctor also had a machine that I had to position myself into and then  shone lights into my eyes and also placed some kind of liquid in them at the same time holding the lids open with some kind of stick.

I dont know if I had the test you refer to but in all honesty even though I am a little perplexed with the Doctors bedside manner I feel that she may well be a person who, I would trust and feel that she would have done all tests that were justified .

I asked  my Mrs if she had told the Doctor about my sudden partial vision loss and she said that she had but the vagaries of verbal (English) communication between us has diminished very badly  over the years so we dont really have "meaningful" conversations anymore . (I am only talking about verbal communication here nothing to do with love, devotion or relationships)

In essence I really cannot say with hand on heart that the Doctor was asked the right questions but as I said the examination seemed very thorough and the Doctor icily  competent

Do you still have the loss of vision in your eye and what did the doctor report about your retina and optic nerve after the examination, are they normal?

As Sheryl suggests a 2nd opinion would be advisable. Can you not travel to Bangkok and see one of the opthalmologists in Rutnin eye hospital where many speak english where you can have your situation re-examined and explained more clearly by a more sympathetic and impartial doctor.

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The price is less in the provinces. Military hospital in Prachinburi was about 16,000 for the op this year, but with the exam and pre op etc additionsl. Grand total including that came to about 20k. So yes, less and if the wife has family you can stay with may be worth considering. Thete is often a wait list for the surgery though so don't expect to take care of it all in one trip.

I am still concerned about this sudden loss of vision
The elevated pressure you mention could indicate glaucoma but that shouldn't cause this either.

If it were me I would invest in a trip to Bangkok and have a consultation at Rutnin eye hospital. It will cost you a few thousand baht but for that you will get a thorough assessment and explanation, in Englush, from doctors who have trained/workef abroad. Dr Roy thete is good.

Thanks Sheryl 

I was posting at the same time as you so didn't see your post until after I had posted.

I think that I will have to do as you suggest and go to the Rutnin  hospital for  their opinion

8 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Do you still have the loss of vision in your eye and what did the doctor report about your retina and optic nerve after the examination, are they normal?

As Sheryl suggests a 2nd opinion would be advisable. Can you not travel to Bangkok and see one of the opthalmologists in Rutnin eye hospital where many speak english where you can have your situation re-examined and explained more clearly by a more sympathetic and impartial doctor.

Thanks for your input user1bcd

As I have said I am very much in the dark and know nothing other than I have two cataracts and possibly another unidentified problem that the Doctor wants to see me about in a month.

It looks as though I will have to go to the Rutnin hospital just to find out what exactly is the problem so Im going to contact them and make an appointment ASAP

You did not have a visual field test (the puff of air is a pressure test - not very reliable in my experience) but agree a trip to Rutnin would be cost effective and medically the thing to do.  They have the equipment to do CVFT test if they believe required (only about 1k).  I would try to do this sooner rather than wait as it could be a matter of saving your sight; and be sure they know there has been sudden vision loss.  They have a good website you can make contact on.

http://www.rutnin.com/2016/eng/contact.php

Sudden loss of vision can be from either opthalmic or neurological cause. So if no explanation can be found in the eye (and as explained, neither slightly elevated intraocular pressure nor cataracts adequately explain a sudden loss) then you need to see a neurologist.

Whether to do so now or first see eye doctor at Rutnin comes down to how confident you are that the eye doctor you saw (1) fully understood your symptoms and its suddeness (as opposed to just: you can't see well) and (2) made a thorough investigation including examination of your retina.

Your description did not give me confidence on either point hence my suggestion you go to Rutnin. But when you do, and they mention the cataracts, be sure the tell them clearly that you had a sudden abrupt partial loss of vision. The cataracts will need to be dealt with eventually but there is no rush and they do not explain this.

If doctor at Rutnin cannot find anything that would cause a sudden loss of vision then your next stop needs to be a neurologist. And it may call for scans.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Sudden loss of vision can be from either opthalmic or neurological cause. So if no explanation can be found in the eye (and as explained, neither slightly elevated intraocular pressure nor cataracts adequately explain a sudden loss) then you need to see a neurologist.

Whether to do so now or first see eye doctor at Rutnin comes down to how confident you are that the eye doctor you saw (1) fully understood your symptoms and its suddeness (as opposed to just: you can't see well) and (2) made a thorough investigation including examination of your retina.

Your description did not give me confidence on either point hence my suggestion you go to Rutnin. But when you do, and they mention the cataracts, be sure the tell them clearly that you had a sudden abrupt partial loss of vision. The cataracts will need to be dealt with eventually but there is no rush and they do not explain this.

If doctor at Rutnin cannot find anything that would cause a sudden loss of vision then your next stop needs to be a neurologist. And it may call for scans.

Excellent suggestion.

Update

I have booked an appointment at Rutnin hospital for Friday (tomorrow) at 1.10 pm

I will be leaving Pattaya North Bus station early doors tomorrow  on the Blue and white bus for my appointment but  being unfamiliar with Bangkok could anyone please advise on the best route to go train stations etc after getting off the bus at ????