‘You’re my last passenger’: Tearful taxi driver scams Thais out of big tip with tragic life story

‘You’re my last passenger’: Tearful taxi driver scams Thais out of big tip with tragic life story

c1.png

A kind-hearted Thai couple found out their taxi driver was likely a fraud after handing him a THB3,000 (about USD90) tip, following a tearful car ride filled with tragic life stories.

The Department of Land Transport is searching for the dramatic driver after Thai woman Wannipa Nakwattana shared her story on Facebook with the suspicion that she and her husband had been scammed.

According to Wannipa, as soon as they got in the car, the driver told them in a teary voice that they “would be his last passengers,” because he was about to lose his job unless he paid THB3,000 to his taxi garage for insurance.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/youre-last-passenger-tearful-taxi-driver-scams-thais-big-tip-tragic-life-story/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-06-28

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As we read this a kind hearted taxi driver story's being dusted off in readiness for publication. 

I think they are gonna go big this time as well !!
Something along the lines of " The Queen of Tonga left her diamond encrusted tiara in a Bangkok taxi, the kind hearted driver used his own hard earned money to return it in person......... to Tonga !!! "

It's coming, mark my words!!

27 minutes ago, shady86 said:

It's sad that being kind hearted doesn't bring good thing anymore.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This case may have been an exception. I still strongly believe that being kind hearted is noble and makes life more pleasant. Do remember the saying "throw your bread......"

33 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Something along the lines of " The Queen of Tonga left her diamond encrusted tiara in a Bangkok taxi, the kind hearted driver used his own hard earned money to return it in person......... to Tonga !!! "

Nah, they're not good at giving diamonds back.

56 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Ha ha brilliant!!!?

I always try to give a little more than I get and be compassionate with the poor. It's stories like this that make me hesitant. My Thai GF constantly reminds me that I am too "jai dee" for my own good. Perhaps better to be that way than completely uncompassionate.

For many years I took taxis 1,  2,  3,  4 times a day in Bkk and many times from the city the the airport and back.

I go the sob story a few times.

Then I copied the advice from one of my Thai male colleagues:

- Make sure the destination is very clear and what tollways can / cannot be used, then pretend to go to sleep, do a sudden wake up a couple of times to be sure your going in the right direction, but all the time ignore the drivers talk, just pretend to be asleep until the car stops at the destination.

I come from the East end of London. I have heard more crap than you can imagine. We had 2 bars in Patts and i have heard it and seen most of it. If that guy had handed me all that shit, i would have thought, he thought, I'd just come off the plane.What a Tom Pepper. The sincerity is a farce and anyone who believes it is a fool. In the bars we heard all the lies and sympathy stories you could imagine, and this was from ferangs. Do you really think that i would believe this guy, being Thai, he lies for a living. on your own heads be it.

For those of you who think i am harsh, then consider this. I have not been here for 18 years and believed the crap like this. But if you are so very adamant that he is for real, then i can put you in touch with a very nice Nigerian, who will invest your money and guarantee a 100% return over 6 months.

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If my memory hasn't deserted me, I remember seeing the Queen of Tonga wearing sea shell not diamond. And of course grass skirt, pretty cool I thought.

50 minutes ago, scorecard said:

For many years I took taxis 1,  2,  3,  4 times a day in Bkk and many times from the city the the airport and back.

- Make sure the destination is very clear and what tollways can / cannot be used, then pretend to go to sleep, do a sudden wake up a couple of times to be sure your going in the right direction, but all the time ignore the drivers talk, just pretend to be asleep until the car stops at the destination.

Wireless headphones do the same job for me. 

The bonus being you don't have to pretend to be asleep. 

Edited by Bluespunk

2 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

This case may have been an exception. I still strongly believe that being kind hearted is noble and makes life more pleasant. Do remember the saying "throw your bread......"

It wasn't the story it self who caused this significant tip situation to happen - it was mainly the tears...

The story just helped to create a certain size of the tip...

What has made this story to come to the light is the tippers own fair of being scammed in exchange of a short lasting noble feeling...

Whether the cab driver sad stories are true or not is another story and is yet to be proven, but until that happen no one has been scammed even they suspect so...;)

3 minutes ago, ttrd said:

It wasn't the story it self who caused this significant tip situation to happen - it was mainly the tears...

The story just helped to create a certain size of the tip...

What has made this story to come to the light is the tippers own fair of being scammed in exchange of a short lasting noble feeling...

Whether the cab driver sad stories are true or not is another story and is yet to be proven, but until that happen no one has been scammed even they suspect so...;)

You believe what you want to. I say this guy is a liar and a scam artist, thinking that we are all fools for a sob story. And this proves that your belief makes you a fool too

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Bloody good advice, i hope you took it.

Did the ฿3000 tip hurt the people? Was it money they couldn't afford? I doubt it. They were good people doing a good deed in their heart. Their names will be written in the book of life. 

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Did the ฿3000 tip hurt the people? Was it money they couldn't afford? I doubt it. They were good people doing a good deed in their heart. Their names will be written in the book of life. 

In the book of idiots. They were obviously green, and they were robbed. Would you have believed this crock of shit? If so, then i will send you my bank details, as i have a sick aunt that needs a 5000 baht for medicine. Get real man, remember where you are.Its called Lieland

18 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

You believe what you want to. I say this guy is a liar and a scam artist, thinking that we are all fools for a sob story. And this proves that your belief makes you a fool too

This doesn't prove anything else than you are a person that easily judge others prior to have any plausible evidence to do so and based on that fact you are hardly a real judge, but more like a scammer-judge...;)