Cop who hugged knife-wielding man in viral video speaks out

Cop who hugged knife-wielding man in viral video speaks out

k1.jpg

BANGKOK — When a man erupted into a police station brandishing a knife, Senior Sgt. Maj. Anirut Malee did not reach for his sidearm or tackle down the assailant.

Instead, Anirut calmly talked to the intruder and eventually convinced him to hand over the knife.

He then gave the man a hug.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/06/30/cop-hugged-knife-wielding-man-viral-video-speaks/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-06-30

"The unnamed man was reportedly charged with carrying a weapon without permission, a misdemeanour that carries a 200 baht fine, though police waived the fee for him. Anirut said he also gave the man a guitar he had at the police station as promised.

He did not give police any contact information and requested a lift to Victory Monument, and that’s the last Anirut saw of him."

Great. 

A nutter wields a knife, endangers others and gets what he wants. 

Lets hope he doesn't get hold of a gun and decide he needs more stuff. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Clearly a old and desperate man seeking help, the cop clearly read he was of no danger and decided to take a different approach as opposed to drawing his gun and killing an old man, this is what I call a wise and compassionate cop doing his job properly, he could have taken a different path and made headlines, "cop shoots knife wielding man in self defence" yiatta yiatta yiatta.

About time TVF put something nice on as I am sick to the T of all the crap its been putting on lately, killings, rapes, etc etc

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Clearly a old and desperate man seeking help, the cop clearly read he was of no danger

Every nutter is a danger, to himself and others.

Nothing serious happened this time, but a nutter is a nutter, and who knows what will happen tomorrow.

12 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Every nutter is a danger, to himself and others.

Nothing serious happened this time, but a nutter is a nutter, and who knows what will happen tomorrow.

That is why the cop read through him, i.e. what's your beef fella, you don't want to hurt anyone, talk to me, the picture was clear, the guy handed him the knife, he started to cry, signs of a broken man, the cop sized him up, I don't think he was a nutter, probably wanted to end his life, but not to hurt others, was probably hoping the cops would shoot him as opposed to him ending his life and going straight to the place that's full of flames.

Each to their own, I saw compassion and respect for an older person, some are too quick to judge, a life was spared, no one was injured, maybe the guys life will improve, well at least I can hope, because I am sure there are a few stories to be told.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Personally, I found the act by the policeman quite touching.

It could have gone really bad, so his reading of the situation and the compassion he showed was commendable.

Good for him.