Big Brother-like control on social media users in Thailand

webfact

Big Brother-like control on social media users in Thailand

BY THE NATION

By KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN

c0239800589b14deae50efba8811ed9c-650x336

The National Reform Steering Assembly (NRSA) on Monday accepted a proposal that would require social media users to identify themselves and for the establishment of a “watch centre” to monitor netizens 24 hours a day.

The junta-appointed assembly voted 144-1 to pass the proposal.

The suggestions are described as “quick win” measures to be implemented by 2019. Other long-term social media measures will be part of the junta initiative’s 20-year national strategy, including the establishment of a Big Brother-like “central social media watch centre”.

The NRSA’s media reform committee, which was responsible for the controversial media regulation bill, proposed the social media reform report Monday.

In proposing controls on social media, the committee cited growing problems such as a lack of media literacy, abuse and the “irresponsible exercise” of rights and freedom, which had had social, political and economic impacts as well as affected the nation’s “main institution”, the committee said, although it did not specify what that institution was.

Full story: http://tech.thaivisa.com/big-brother-like-control-on-social-media-users-in-thailand/22713/

thaitech1.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Tech 2017-07-04

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Hopefully by 2019 we will have a democratically elected Government, who will repeal this bullshit.

They won't - because like all the other bad laws in Thailand, when its the other lot's turn to benefit from them, they will never repeal them - self interest destroying the country (again).

25 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Hopefully by 2019 we will have a democratically elected Government, who will repeal this bullshit.

Don't be so sure. A democratically elected government will only survive if it does as it's told.

23 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Don't be so sure. A democratically elected government will only survive if it does as it's told.

Indeed. The Royal Thai Army and the other Royal Thai Armed Services will ensure that their hegemony continues, whatever the window dressing assembled for the benefit of the largely uncaring foreign community. The focus is very much on ticks in the boxes for appearance' sake.

They're on a tiger and have been for 3 or so years. They dare not get off lest the same tiger they've been riding turns and eats them.

Meanwhile the county and it's people are being well looked after from afar. Very afar.

And soon, you'll have to provide your real address, copy of ID/passport

and maybe also finger prints... welcome to a world where you're a suspect

of being able to commit social media crimes, and thus deems a risk

by the government... 

1 hour ago, sharecropper said:

They won't - because like all the other bad laws in Thailand, when its the other lot's turn to benefit from them, they will never repeal them - self interest destroying the country (again).

Correct.. defamation laws were never amended by either democrats or PTP whoever is in power likes complete control. So no they wont change the laws back they will use it against their political enemies. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Correct.. defamation laws were never amended by either democrats or PTP whoever is in power likes complete control. So no they wont change the laws back they will use it against their political enemies. 

Still can't bring yourself to comment on the Junta eh?

Instead of hypothesising about the actions of future governments, how about a comment on the actions of the current one.

For those (like you) that were so keen to overthrow democracy - you reap what you sow.

Well done.

BTW - should an elected government persist with these draconian laws, the people can just vote them out.

Tada!

48 minutes ago, ezzra said:

And soon, you'll have to provide your real address, copy of ID/passport

and maybe also finger prints... welcome to a world where you're a suspect

of being able to commit social media crimes, and thus deems a risk

by the government... 

Fingerprints already taken for new cellphone contracts.

8 minutes ago, Smarter Than You said:

Instead of hypothesising about the actions of future governments, how about a comment on the actions of the current one.

For those (like you) that were so keen to overthrow democracy - you reap what you sow.

Well done.

BTW - should an elected government persist with these draconian laws, the people can just vote them out.

Tada!

What do I need to spell it out.. its a bad idea. But are we going to bet that a PTP wont remove this law once they are in power ? Do you dare to take that bet ?

47 minutes ago, robblok said:

What do I need to spell it out.. its a bad idea. But are we going to bet that a PTP wont remove this law once they are in power ? Do you dare to take that bet ?

Absolutely I would take that bet.

Censorship only benefits those who want to stifle communication and debate.

PTP have never tried to shut down any social media platform, only the Junta has form here.

PTP have millions and millions of supporters and social media is the cheapest and most effective way to communicate with them.

Openness benefits PTP, censorship benefits the Junta - why would PTP want to keep a law that helps the Junta?

I would also take the bets that PTP won't ever block access to the Charlie Chaplin movie The Dictator on youtube, won't ban public gatherings of five or more people, or ban the three fingered salute or, or ban reading 1984, or ban referendum monitoring and on and on and on it goes.

Edited by Smarter Than You

Just now, Smarter Than You said:

Absolutely I would take that bet.

Censorship only benefits those who want to stifle communication and debate.

PTP have never tried to shut down any social media platform, only the Junta has form here.

PTP have millions and millions of supporters and social media is the cheapest and most effective way to communicate with them.

Openness benefits PTP, censorship benefits the Junta - why would PTP want to keep a law that helps the Junta?

I would also take the bets that PTP won't ever block access to the Charlie Chaplin movie The Dictator on youtube, won't ban public gatherings of five or more people, or ban the three fingered salute or, or ban reading 1984, or ban referendum monitoring and on and on and on it goes.

Good lets take that bet, and to be honest it is one bet I like to lose. I really think its a bad idea of the junta to do this.

As for my reasoning.. if the PTP was all for openness then the defamation laws would be gone already.. they are not. The PTP is as bad as all the others when they are in power. They too like total control so they can go after their enemies. I truly hope this is a bet I am going to lose. 

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Good lets take that bet, and to be honest it is one bet I like to lose. I really think its a bad idea of the junta to do this.

As for my reasoning.. if the PTP was all for openness then the defamation laws would be gone already.. they are not. The PTP is as bad as all the others when they are in power. They too like total control so they can go after their enemies. I truly hope this is a bet I am going to lose. 

Apart from the PTP have had plenty of opportunity to 'go after' enemies, and make no mistake there are plenty of them, and other than half hearted attempts on Abhisit and Suthep they have never 'gone after' any.

9 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Apart from the PTP have had plenty of opportunity to 'go after' enemies, and make no mistake there are plenty of them, and other than half hearted attempts on Abhisit and Suthep they have never 'gone after' any.

Seems you have forgotten Tarit and what he did. I guess you also forgot how they went after the brave lady that brought out the figures about the rice program. The PTP is no different than any of them.. once in power they don't listen to any opposing voices and do as they please. They also do whatever they can to silence those voices. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Seems you have forgotten Tarit and what he did. I guess you also forgot how they went after the brave lady that brought out the figures about the rice program. The PTP is no different than any of them.. once in power they don't listen to any opposing voices and do as they please. They also do whatever they can to silence those voices. 

Yes, that's really 'going after' their enemies lol.

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

Yes, that's really 'going after' their enemies lol.

I am too busy to go through new articles and find all what they did.. they are no different then the Democrats and whoever is in power. Are you contesting that Thaksin has used the defamation laws a lot to silence people journalists even. Are you contesting that if they wanted they could remove the defamation laws but have not ?.. I expect the same will happen with this new law ( I think this law is a bad idea)

I wonder what foreign companies either based in Thailand or planning to, think about this. 

Seems a big risk for their foreign staff who unknowingly might fall foul of the law when speaking of Thailand to those back home.

Of course this applies also to China but that is a huge market. Relocation might be considered from here.

17 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Suthep they have never 'gone after' any.

Hilarious. How he went after the red-shirt protestors in April and May 2010 that resulted in death and injuries was the most evil manner he went after his enemies. Criminal court rulings implicated him giving the orders to soldiers as director of CRES. He was subsequently charged for murder and case is still 'pending'.  

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am too busy to go through new articles and find all what they did.. they are no different then the Democrats and whoever is in power. Are you contesting that Thaksin has used the defamation laws a lot to silence people journalists even. Are you contesting that if they wanted they could remove the defamation laws but have not ?.. I expect the same will happen with this new law ( I think this law is a bad idea)

This topic has nothing to do with defamation law.

They possibly would not dare touch this law either due to the part about the main institution, its just not work their risk.

You have probably forgotten over the past few years, but for normal Governments there are plenty of processes and procedures they are required to go through to change laws, and for numerous reasons, some for selfish reasons, i doubt amending the defamation law is particularly high up on anyone's priority list, not just traditional politicians. Of course the NCPO could wave their magic wand and it would be gone. Very easy for them to do.......

49 minutes ago, robblok said:

During the build up to the coup with Sutheps mob on the streets did any PTP official ever utter a single word about censoring any social media platform?

Nope.

What is the argument that you're trying to make here?

The Juntas actions are ok because in your imaginary future, PTP will be worse.

How ridiculous.

The chant on the streets was "reform before elections".

The list of things made worse by the coup by far and away exceeds the things they have improved (clear footpaths and less beach deckchairs - woohoo).

The coup has not led Thailand towards democracy nor have we seen a reduction in corruption or censorship.

It has done the exact opposite on all three counts.

Why you continue to support the coup and their actions such as this one - censoring social media - is bewildering.

Edited by Smarter Than You

35 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

This topic has nothing to do with defamation law.

They possibly would not dare touch this law either due to the part about the main institution, its just not work their risk.

You have probably forgotten over the past few years, but for normal Governments there are plenty of processes and procedures they are required to go through to change laws, and for numerous reasons, some for selfish reasons, i doubt amending the defamation law is particularly high up on anyone's priority list, not just traditional politicians. Of course the NCPO could wave their magic wand and it would be gone. Very easy for them to do.......

The topic is about restriction of social media.. defamation law works with that too. The PTP never tried to amend it (as you said for selfish reasons). I see the same happening here. So I wont hold my breath. 

3 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Well, if you really need to watch a certain poodle's birthday party, better do it now, before big brother starts watching you!  :shock1:

Is that the kind of thing it's about,  :sad:  l thought it would be for fighting terrorism like there gonna do in UK. 

Well done.

Tada!

Nope thais don't have the patience. They will March by the thousands streaming in from the country on pick ups, block central BKK shut down airports and then blow up shopping malls

The bib will do nothing as usual as the country descends into lawlessness.

BAM! Coup

Thais reap what they sow

TADA,!