Thai rice exports may miss target due to new foreign workers law

webfact

Thai rice exports may miss target due to new foreign workers law

By Thai PBS

rice3.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai rice exports for the second half of the year may miss the target due to acute shortage of labour at the seaports as a direct result of the new foreign workers law, Chukiat Opaswong, honorary president of Rice Exporters Association, said on Wednesday (July 5).

“Rice exports which were doing well were, out of a sudden, hit with labour shortage, causing delay in delivery,” said Mr Chukiat.

Claiming that the number of stevedores at the seaports went missing between 30-40% due to the new foreign workers law, he said it normally took 7-10 days for rice to be loaded on a freighter, but now it took about a month by average due to few stevedores.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-rice-exports-may-miss-target-due-new-alien-workers-law/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-06

We are about to find out how dependent Thailand actually is on foreign labour across many industries nationwide. So far the agriculture sector, the fishing industry and here rice exports are already having trouble. I suspect there will be significantly more, and this hastily introduced law, brought in with no discussion, is going to cause serious pain and financial loss.And that is what happens when you don't think things through properly, as we have seen here time and time again.

49 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

We are about to find out how dependent Thailand actually is on foreign labour across many industries nationwide. So far the agriculture sector, the fishing industry and here rice exports are already having trouble. I suspect there will be significantly more, and this hastily introduced law, brought in with no discussion, is going to cause serious pain and financial loss.And that is what happens when you don't think things through properly, as we have seen here time and time again.

You missed the construction industry. Watch the building sites grind to a halt.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Claiming that the number of stevedores at the seaports went missing between 30-40% due to the new foreign workers law, he said it normally took 7-10 days for rice to be loaded on a freighter, but now it took about a month by average due to few stevedores.

Always wondered about Thai intelligence gathering.  It seems that the junta is truly out of touch with the country.  A delay by three weeks for a consumable commodity.  Junta is treading on the livelihoods of the 1/10 of the 1% by messing with construction, agriculture .   They cannot be happy.  

Oh dear. Does this mean the Thais will have to start doing some work and cut down on their excessive amount of holidays.

I doubt it.the country will come to a standstill before that happened.

Considering this new law has only been in force a very short period of time it seems to have had a very fast knock on affect 

Serves them right. All of the Thais. 

The management for being utterly and contemptuously inept and out of touch with those they claim to be representing and the people for lamely laying down and accepting coup after coup after coup allowing military clowns to run a country. 

They have no one to blame but themselves. 

No no doubt though in the spirit of thainess someone else will have to be punished

7 hours ago, webfact said:

number of stevedores at the seaports went missing between 30-40% due to the new foreign workers law

Very predictable because it happened in August 2014 for the very same reason by the very same government!

• "Thailand is facing delays in plans to export millions of tons of rice from state stockpiles because of a labor shortage at ports after hundreds of thousands of foreign workers fled amid fears of a military crackdown on illegal migrants." 
  • “Around 20-30 percent of stevedoring companies are out of business due to labor shortages and that will have an impact on rice exports,”

https://www.voanews.com/a/reu-thailand-labor-shortage-rice-exports/2432831.html

The junta government is more than being out of touch with the country, it's encapsulated by its own alleged supremacy.

7 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Always wondered about Thai intelligence gathering.  It seems that the junta is truly out of touch with the country.  A delay by three weeks for a consumable commodity.  Junta is treading on the livelihoods of the 1/10 of the 1% by messing with construction, agriculture .   They cannot be happy.  

Yellowboat, it's time the Junta take off their trousers and bend over because many people are going to stuff them. The wonderful PM will watch his ministers all get behind fill up especially by Thai businessmen who are loosing money everyday.

I once said to a Thai prostitute , "Don't you Thai people know that time is money?"  She said, "Maybe they don't know, but I know".  I realized I got myself a clever whore. I gave her a good tip. She was smiling from ear to ear.

(by the way I was staying in a 5 star hotel the bell captain gave me a photo album to choose the girls, he said all girls speak good english some university students).

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well it looks like the government dropped a very big one with this silly new law on foreign workers.

Crazy knee jerk reaction, is going to totally mess up Thai exports.

Please explain why a new law that requires all foreign labour to have a passport, correct documentation & be employed legally.

Instead of being here illegally, being illegally employed, and payed below the minimum wage & used as slave labour with no protection!

maybe I'm missing something or do you condone slave labour?

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Please explain why a new law that requires all foreign labour to have a passport, correct documentation & be employed legally.

Instead of being here illegally, being illegally employed, and payed below the minimum wage & used as slave labour with no protection!

maybe I'm missing something or do you condone slave labour?

There are two issues: 

1. Yes they are illegal, but those working illegally needed the work and perhaps did not feel exploited. 

2. The Thai economy heavily relies on these workers.  By not implementing the law carefully, they hurt the entire country, including the 1/10 of 1%, the very people they serve. 

It is not about illegal or legal.  It is about finesse and governance. Which the junta have yet familiarize themselves with.  Malaysia did the same thing last year, and they handled it better.  Thailand choose not to learn from others and usually has these sort of train wrecks. 

15 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Do any Thai males actually work?

as  "sleeping and drinking" is  classed as work then...............................................

9 hours ago, madusa said:

Yellowboat, it's time the Junta take off their trousers and bend over because many people are going to stuff them. The wonderful PM will watch his ministers all get behind fill up especially by Thai businessmen who are loosing money everyday.

I once said to a Thai prostitute , "Don't you Thai people know that time is money?"  She said, "Maybe they don't know, but I know".  I realized I got myself a clever whore. I gave her a good tip. She was smiling from ear to ear.

(by the way I was staying in a 5 star hotel the bell captain gave me a photo album to choose the girls, he said all girls speak good english some university students).

"I realized I got myself a clever whore." :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

I wonder if somewhere she's telling the same story saying, "Then I said that I understood that time equaled money and he gave me a huge tip. I realized I got myself a stupid gullible John." ;)

Edited by SABloke