Viral Video Shows School Kids Dragging Director's Car Uphill

36 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Again you are posting nonsense, i got stuck on tracks in thje mountains many times.

Maybe you should try it, then you would know what its like, and how these people struggle daily during the rainy season.-

the one posting nonsense is yourself , the post is about a school director who by the look of it is putting many kids in danger  - for what - his own comfort maybe. Who cares how many times you have been stuck in the mountains - it's not about you.

2 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

Maybe there are good sides to this as other posters have pointed out but I was aghast when watching this.

What if the rope had snapped or the pickup slid backwards out of control? Kids at the rear or in the bed could have had very serious injuries or even died.

I would have been livid had my daughter been pushing at the rear.

much ado about nothing, loved days like this as a kid, we did this regularly, and even later in life working in the bush we would have whole crews working to get the trucks like this. 

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have a Ford Ranger 4 door just like that and mine also has 4WD and a low ratio gearbox.

The idiot who is driving (if it is a 4x4) is in 1st gear norrmal ratio.

He has revved the engine and dropped the clutch and the rear wheels are spinning..

He needs to be in 2nd gear low ratio and rocking it back and forwards and crawling out.

Some branches in front and underneath of the tyres would help a lot.

With the help of the children he probably got the truck to school without getting his shoes dirty.

He should be OK getting it back down the hill as gravity helps but of course he has trashed the track so how will he get there the next day.

Idiot.

im amazed by the information you managed to glean from the video. being able to determine what gear the driver was in, whether or not the truck was 2 or 4 wheel drive, and even whether or not the truck was manual or automatic.

most impressive mr holmes.

22 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

No doubt the hapless director was directing operations from his cab. What was a school director doing off-road during term.

At least the kids look like they're having fun in the mud. I hope the director pays for uniform cleaning and buys them all pizza.

It could be the only road to the school:)

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

It could be the only road to the school:)

Spot on my friend it is the only way to get to that school.

Others on here mouthing off, but have no earthly idea what they are talking about.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Spot on my friend it is the only way to get to that school.

Others on here mouthing off, but have no earthly idea what they are talking about.

colinneil is absolutely right.!

As the first poster to incorrectly comment on this story and the accompanying picture, I retract and apologize for my comments. 

Anyone taking the trouble to look for the school on Google Earth will find it in Sop Moei district in an extremely remote area on what looks like the side of a small mountain. Surrounded by dense forests. This being the rainy season and the fact that as colin says, this is the only road in and the actions of the director and students can only be commended.. This is definitely an "off-road" road. (My truck would love a go).

https://www.google.com/maps/@17.9933339,98.0871624,222m/data=!3m1!1e3

edit +  She  may think about purchasing some All-Terrain tires suitable for dirt roads, there's a lot more rain to come. 

Edited by ratcatcher

32 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

colinneil is absolutely right.!

As the first poster to incorrectly comment on this story and the accompanying picture, I retract and apologize for my comments. 

Anyone taking the trouble to look for the school on Google Earth will find it in Sop Moei district in an extremely remote area on what looks like the side of a small mountain. Surrounded by dense forests. This being the rainy season and the fact that as colin says, this is the only road in and the actions of the director and students can only be commended.. This is definitely an "off-road" road. (My truck would love a go).

https://www.google.com/maps/@17.9933339,98.0871624,222m/data=!3m1!1e3

edit +  She  may think about purchasing some All-Terrain tires suitable for dirt roads, there's a lot more rain to come. 

ratcatcher, sir i thank you for taking the time to find out about that school.

I have had to put up with absolute nonsense on this thread, contrary to what atisi or what ever silly name he uses says, i do know what i am talking about.

As i have stated already, been there done that.

I have to say that our PE instructor in the UK did the exact same thing.  We were told that this PE lesson would be a running and strength exercise.  So we had to run to where his car ran out of petrol and push it to the garage.  We were then on our own to run back to school where he counted us in.  I kid you not.

5 hours ago, HooHaa said:

im amazed by the information you managed to glean from the video. being able to determine what gear the driver was in, whether or not the truck was 2 or 4 wheel drive, and even whether or not the truck was manual or automatic.

most impressive mr holmes.

If you look at the video you can see that only the rear wheels are spinning and not the front ones which means that he is in 2WD and not 4WD.

That particular model of Ford is the same as the one I have had since 2001 and it did NOT come with an automatic gearbox.

The 2.8 non turbo Ford Ranger did come with an automatic gearbox but was only a 2 door.

It is not impressive at all, simply the result of 15 years of driving the same type of vehicle.

Anything else you would like to know.

BTW he is not using off-road tyres either.

Well if this is an important road to the school of the rural area they better make a good road to it...this isn't the first wet season with rain.

Also that director should have bought a real 4wd if he's the one to transport everything to that school.

In BKK half of the SUV's has 4wd to drive in the city, why this man doesn't have it?

19 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well i can answer your comment, how do schools out in the mountains, where there are only dirt tracks get provisions to school?

Answer the directors pickup, i know because vwe used our pickup to do it, when we lived in similar curcumstanses.

So please people stop knocking the director, think about the situation he is in.

Colin analytical thinking is not taught in Thai schools . 

Subservience and rote learning are drilled into the Thai mentality . Some weight in the tray of the pick up and deflate the tires would help . Also use 2nd gear and don`t accelerate are useful techs . 

I have shown Thai folks better ways of doing things . They return to their own inefficient techniques . You can lead a horse to water , you can`t make it drink . Thailand number 1 they tell me . lol . 

9 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Would you ride a m/c if you were the director of a school? 

If the road is impassable and I had to get somewhere, it's a no-brainer, yes. 

8 hours ago, fruitman said:

Well if this is an important road to the school of the rural area they better make a good road to it...this isn't the first wet season with rain.

Also that director should have bought a real 4wd if he's the one to transport everything to that school.

In BKK half of the SUV's has 4wd to drive in the city, why this man doesn't have it?

He does.

Read post #41

Edited by billd766
Added extra text